1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Fellow Americans...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Princess Danica, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Princess Danica

This is a question for my fellow Americans, but anyone from anywhere can feel free to comment.

So, my fellow Americans... how many of you get your news from foreign news sources instead of American ones? I ask this because I just recently shared the story with my grandma about trans people not being able to drive in Russia, and she asked me where I heard it from, and I said Vice (UK), and she said I shouldn't be on foreign news sites because the government's watching people and besides foreign countries are our enemy (WTF???)

So how many of you go to sites like Vice and BBC instead of CNN and Fox? Just wanna know if I'm alone here... lol

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    South American here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (still America!).

I almost always get my news from BBC. I visit the site maybe twice a day, or more.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The BBC is your enemy.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I read from everything, then sort of put two and two together. Having just one source seems kind of... unproductive.

And if foreign governments are monitoring me, I'd rather they think, "Damn, this girl is pretty well informed!" as opposed to, "Haha! This girl is a fuckin' idiot!"

5. aeva

I listen to NPR in the US, which has a lot of BBC programming. In terms of TV news, I'll usually watch BBC if possible. Online I seem to wind up reading the Guardian a lot. I'm not sure if it counts though, because I'm actually FROM England.

6. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, I don't want to upset any Americans (remember I'm American, too), but I tend to get news from other sources (usually UK based) because frankly the US news is ethnocentric. I see tidbits about world news, but usually based on how it affects us. BBC and the like are much more aware of what's going on over the whole world and actually gives it time.
    I remember local stations after the Oslo bombing. It was like, "A horrible thing has happened. Norway was bombed. . .anyway, check out this super smart dog from New York who can do math!"
    Of course that's not exactly what happened, I hope you know what I mean.

7. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

All news sources are biased in one way or another - I don't particularly trust American news sources. Nor do I trust some sources in the UK. Generally I go with the BBC - it's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than most out there.

Reuters I don't mind as well.

#7 gazwkd, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  8. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thought this was going to be about the hilarious movie.

Anyway, I don't usually go looking for news, but when I do, I'll check out both American and British media.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I get news from everywhere

10. Tardis2020

I watch my local news station, read the Wall Street Journal, and the rest of my news comes from Reddit which is mainly BBC and UK news stations.

11. Lazuri

I absorb my news straight from the Aether.

12. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get my news from Vice, Reuters, BBC, and CNN(I've never had problems with them).

But never Fox. They're a freaking joke.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get my news from everywhere except Fox, MSNBC and Daily Mail.
    The two sources I trust the most are Salon and The Young Turks.
    I'm learning to trust CNN more.

14. twosoups

I get most of my news online. Typically a variety of sources, but most of the news I read is in relation to bitcoin. I still read a large amount of material concerning economics, and most of the economic news lately seems to be centered on Europe. I read quite a bit of political news, but for the most part I don't care for any major news station since most of the time they are biased towards republicans and/or democrats.

15. Nickinthemiddle

I keep BBC, CNN, and the dreaded FOX on my newsfeed. BBC covers American issues that Americans don't cover. I only keep FOX so I know what the enemy is thinking.

16. emri

A lot of my news tends to come from Twitter, mostly from reporters who are my friends or who I wish I could work with (I'm a reporter/blogger in my day job). Most of those stories come from The New York Times, BuzzFeed, Mashable, The Verge, and Wired. The news I write about for my day job tends to come from Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, and Bloomberg, but I don't always read them for things I'm personally interested in.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I see something on CNN, I'll generally check up on it to make sure it's true, but CNN is usually the best at not spinning the news. MSNBC I will check two or three times, and Fox News I extensively check.

As for foreign news, I sometimes look at BBC, Vice, and Al Jazeera and Al Jazeera America.

18. Psaurus918

I don't really follow the news unless its something major and its usually because I see it on Reddit.

I don't think I could take anyone serious if they said they got their news from Fox

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have cable, so I am spared the orb of confusion that is cable news. The PBS Newshour and Frontline are excellent American sources, so luckily I avoid all the celebrity gossip and other fake news spewing about. I also watch BBC news heavily (it's my homepage), sometimes NHK, CSPAN, and that's about it. Sometimes I splurge and watch the morning news shows with their multitude of advertisements. Finally, I frequently get my news from the Facebook newsfeed.

20. MisterTinkles

Except for beheadings and the sorry assed US government NOT doing anything about it........I rarely see online US news with stories from the Euro part of the world.

So I usually see stuff going on over there, from news sources over there.