1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtle hints

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Moonhammer, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't worry, not another "guy in love with straight guy" thread.
    It's a different subject regarding family.
    Mainly, my brother.

Lately he seems to be trying to find out whether i'm gay or not.
    He's been dropping subtle hints, like telling me about the lgbt situation in Russia, Uganda, etc.
    Now keeping in mind that i live in Holland, where there is a quite liberal approach on everything here, and him being quite intelligent. He's one of the few people that i can really communicate with, like deep debates about religion, humanity, space, psychics, etc. with a liberal political interest.

Any advice or another perspective on this?

2. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sure, a few observations (take what helps, toss the rest).

You might be doing a bit of mind reading here. Though it's possible that your brother is inquiring into your sexuality every time he brings up lgbt issues, he might (more likely, in my estimation) also just be making conversation. Do you right away suspect someone of being gay if lgbt subjects a broached? Then why would he?

But sure, he *might* be bringing them up to get you talking about your sexuality. In which case, some amount of acceptance might be in order. Well... you'd have brought it up eventually. In my experience (in hubris, I'll refer you to my own topic on this thread), it really helped things to confide in my sister. We were both understanding, and offered support.

But even *that* is mind reading. You don't know what he's thinking, unless you ask!!

[Edit: by acceptance, I mean accept that's it's possible, though perhaps less likely, that he 'suspects something'. Even if that's the case, you can still go at your own pace as far as telling him something goes. Ok... questioning25 out!!]

#2 questioning25, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  3. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's the thing, he never talked about lgbt issues, but recently he's been talking about it more and more. And i myself have also been more vocal about it.

4. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Best I can say is, unless you ask him (which you don't have to do*), all you or I can do is speculate.

*If he is, as you say, one of the people who you can really communicate with, then from my experience, opening up will hopefully help. But then, easier said than done, I can also attest to that.

5. wasgij

Maybe he's gay?

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2015 at 04:25 AM ----------

Or bisexual, genderqueer, or otherwise LGBT.

6. bornthiswaybby

True ^ Maybe he is gay and trying to see what your perspective is. Or maybe he's wondering about you. Either way, would opening up to him be all that bad? Don't rush yourself, but if you think he's accepting then why not? :slight_smile: