1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this is why I ain't religious

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justinian20, Jan 11, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people are religious and some people are atheists. There is nothing wrong with being either of those two. Your beliefs are your beliefs and every thread we have on religion people must want to act like children.

2. SomeLeviathan

I don't see why my faith is any of your concern.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do I have so much doubt that you're here for a reasonable discussion and not a religion-bashing match for your own amusement?

4. Q-Tip

Wow I open this thread read last 4 posts and I can see where its gone
    MRW I open this thread
    [​IMG]

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. King

It was invented to manipulate the un-educated masses. Fortunately more and more people have the chance of an education and are able to question such ingrained beliefs

Don't believe anything. Religion, governments, the BCC etc. Unfortunately religion doesn't allow for discussions and progression and is fundmentally intended to create hatred. It isn't religious fundamentalism (whether that be Catholic, Muslim or any other religion), it is the fundamentals of religion.

Despite all of this, people should respect other people's beliefs and should not marginalise religious people, otherwise we would be bigoted. There is a very fine line between standing up against very dangerous established religions and attacking individuals who chose to follow said religions.

7. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    More like any religion thread on this site...

8. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not sure but this is how I feel in this thread.

But now seriously. It's hard to conciliate passages where they say to love each other with things like stone people because X.
    Some pretend those things don't exist while holding to things that actually are written there.
    Others have to hate people because X just because its in the book.

Personally I never believed in god and still don't. Not those gods, not any god. Nothing.

9. soulcatcher

No and I hardly need to explain my second statement.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

You tell me.

10. Justinian20

Actually it is not religion but the flaws of people, so I really have no gripes with religion. I understand the whole premise of it do not blame what the Bible says, blame the flaws of peoples

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aussie, that may be the case in Australia (or not), but what about the countries where a religion is forced on people, also via school systems? I'm sure you can think of these countries. It may be true, what you've said, but I've never heard it before. =)

12. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Oh your religion says you must do this so if you don't you're not a follower of that religion!" Give me a Fucking break.
    So they have to be murdering fundamentalists or adopt your way of thinking? Such arrogance....

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even religious schools teach more than religion in most cases. Catholic schools, for example, still have secular chemistry and literature classes. When I say secular education, I mean education in secular studies, not that their education is entirely split from an organised church or religious group. I'm sorry about any confusion. My point was that most religious people can engage in secular areas with as much skill as atheists - secularism is, after all, not synonymous with atheism.

And absolutely, religious oppression and mandatory religious education do exist - but even then, there's still going to be more than just classes for scriptural study at all but the most extreme institutions. It is, of course, a massive problem in some cases - I've read that some Pakistani schools force their students to read the original Koran, yet offer no lessons in Arabic that would actually grant meaning to their studies and demand that they recite it back.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see what you mean now! You're indeed right about that!! I'm sorry too, because I accidentally quoted your entire sentence, but it was only the first part I was wondering about. I definitely do agree that religious people can engage in secular areas, there's data to support that too. :icon_bigg And secularism is definitely not atheism (obviously). :lol:

You are definitely right about that, there's (as far as I know) usually time for lectures in the more secular areas. I didn't know that about Pakistani schools, I guessed they offered at least lessons in Arabic. Very unfortunate.

16. ANewDawn

I was raised orthodox and am now agnostic. I became agnostic before realizing I was gay but still primarily over what scripture says about gay men. I think my religion is generally sympathetic towards gays as long as we never have sex - gee, thanx. I'm undecided about the existence of god, but if there is one I don't think any religious texts actually reflect the way he wants us to live our lives. And besides, we largely don't use scripture to decide social policy today - if we did, slavery and polygamy would be legal.

17. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2015 at 12:19 AM ----------

Is off point.
    Christianity, as well as many other religions claim to preach an absolute morality.
    I.e. Killing is wrong, homosexuality is wrong, etc.
    Yet in many of these religions both holy men/women and the gods themselves repeatedly violate these supposed absolute moral rules.

Correct. The sin of Sodom was inhospitality.

Again, correct.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2015 at 12:22 AM ----------

Another misunderstanding.
    Religion =/= theism
    Atheism =/= non-religious.

Anyway, my own thoughts on the OP. I'm against religion because it preaches dogma rather than rational skepticism. I fully support freedom of belief though, I'd just rather people realise they don't need it and they're better things available.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2015 at 12:24 AM ----------

Do you believe a god exists?
    If your answer is anything but yes, you're an atheist.
    Atheism = the absence of (a positive) belief in the existence of god(s). Not the belief in non-existence.