1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is your rolemodel?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lazuri, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Lazuri

Let's have a thread with some lighter conversation.

A lot of trans* people have one or more people whom they look at and say "I wanna be that" or "I wanna look like that." Doesn't matter much if the person is real or fictional. For example, for my fiancee who is leaning towards masculine, it was always Miyavi, the Japanese artist (also starring in box office active movie "Unbroken.")

For me, I think it was always Morticia from the Addams Family. Despite being fictional, I always admired her; when I was little I had fantasies that I was her child and as I grew older I just wanted to be like her. She's beautiful in the tall, dark and mysterious way (less so in the more recent movies and more so in the old 60's sitcom and original comic strips.) She's somber and have a taste for the macabre and dark just like I do and even though she's very strange by normal standards, she's still social and an excellent hostess and mother. She manages to go her own way and be herself while remaining the perfect matron for her family.

So, do you have one? Who is it? I'm genuinly curious.

2. DelvSeigible

I know it is extremely early to list a Korean actor, but my post!
    Jun Ji-Hyun from my sassy girl has been my idol since I was 10... I thought I admire her sexually for the longest time, in reality, I really just like how she portrays 'the girl' in the movie. I enjoy a little sassiness in my life.

-E

Attached Files:

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Hm.. I don't really have one person.

I just see certain guys and go "I want to be like that". It just happens.

4. Seige

I would KILL to have Ashley Barretts voice, or maybe Amanda Lee.
    Not really a role model, but I think it counts.
    Visually, Ive tried to model myself after this girl at my school. Her body is shaped ki dof like mine, so it works.

5. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sansa Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire. To me, she is someone who from a young age had her entire worldview - a view constructed for her by a restrictive society - torn down in front of her. She goes through hell, but with every step becomes stronger. She learns to use the skills she acquired for her imagined world to survive in the real one. She gets strength through adversity. And above all, she never compromises her core values, and remains a fundamentally good person without being naive.

Basically, Sansa Stark is my queen.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

myself O_O

7. Music Soul

I love this question! The first person to come to mind is Ruby Rose, she's an Australian DJ/Model/Actor and has an androgynous/masculine style that I admire so much (she's also genderfluid, I look up to her because of that too). Voice wise I'm in love with Matt Bellamy's voice (the singer for the band Muse) if I could sound more masculine I'd want to sound like him.

8. WillowRose

Two trans women who really inspire me are Julia Serano and Amanda Simpson.

9. Chriswe

Probably Alex Bertie. He's such an inspiration to me and many others. He's helped me so much and I don't know where I would be now without him.

10. Raatox

Jack Dawson in the Titanic movie....

11. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My role models would have to be Lupita Nyong'o, Neil Patrick Harris and, of course, his husband; David Burtka. They faced hardships in life, confusions and abuse. They've also experienced hurtful judgment by people around them just because of who they are, what they are. In spite of these, they managed to stand strong and succeed in life. They are now happy inspiring and helping other people to also be happy and strong. I love these guys.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one. I do what I am and model myself after no one.

I do however wish I would look as good as Gwen Stefani or Jennifer Aniston in my 40s.

13. bookaholic20

bookaholic20 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  14. sguyc

Don't rolemodels. Only people I am envious of lol...

15. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm like this too.

16. Acm

Acm Guest

Me too. There's some guys who inspire me in terms of their personality, and some who I want to look like.

17. antibinary

I'm inspired by me.

18. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

For me, it would have to be Martin Freeman & Ian Mckellen.

Martin Freeman is just my idol in fashion. He just exerts himself so coolly and he's got a certain level of charm and sass that I wish to have. His voice is also something I enjoy hearing and his acting abilities are superb.

Ian Mckellen because he's the been-there-done-that kind of guy. He's mature but he is playful and I love his voice, it's quite powerful. Not to mention that he's out of the closet and he doesn't let anyone get in his way which I adore about him. Plus, he looks fab in pink. :3

19. Riz

Riz

Actually I'm leaning more against Bunny in Steam powered giraffe lately. Sure, Miyavi is amazing with style, personality, ideals, looks and career. (...ok you're probably right).
    But Bunny feels more like a real person in a real world. Probably because she might be famous, but not THAT famous. Also she was the one that got me thinking I'm tired living as a lie, trying to hide. It's great to listen to someone talk about their transition even if it's not even in the same direction as yourself. (She's mtf and I'm ftm/masculine androgyne or something like that)

20. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha amen!

I wouldn't quite say they're idols, but I admire people for different things, such as:
    Travis Barker for drums.
    Lena Katina for her voice!
    In terms of looks, Kat Dennings, Dita Von Teese and Kat Von D! (Especially!)
    I mean, who wouldn't want to look like Kat Von D?!