1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else hate America?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tommycee, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, those people are idiots who haven't even read their vaunted Constitution. It has a system in place for peaceably adjusting the government without having to violently seize power.

What I hate is that American practices don't line up with our ideals. The "dream" so many people used to talk about has been deposited into the banks of people richer than everyone else. We say we're for freedom when until lately (and pretty much still) the trend has been for less freedom on every front. We say "government by the people etc. etc." when it's really an oligarchy maintained by corporations and the stupidity of the people who refuse to vote out the major parties.

So no, I don't hate the US. I hate how broken it is, but that's only because I love it dearly.

2. ZenMusic

This.

3. LiquidSwords

Because it gave us McDonald's?

USA fascinates me and terrifies me the same amount. I'm curious to visit again but fuck living there for any length of time, well maybe I could just about manage north east but just

Yeah I swear a lot of Europeans don't realise what sort of world it would be without USA, like just imagine no USA post WWII no thanks

4. Aro

Aro

I don't hate America. I have met a lot of lovely people. But it's a cultural and political cesspool worse than more than half the world and I am 500% glad I don't live there. There is a lot of good that comes from it. But there are so many things that you can't make up for. I mean. Just look at Detroit. How does that even happen? A lot about America infuriates me. Especially arrogance and ignorance. Even then, there are so many good people. It's a shame that they have to live in unrest.

5. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why are you quoting your own post from 30 minutes ago in the same thread while just adding "This"?

But to respond to your post, what your describing is clearly not all or even most Americans. I assume you've never been here or have even met Americans?

6. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Shouldn't the title be "why I left the United states in search of freedom from religion?"
    Am I missing something?

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate the concept of America. There are times I strongly dislike it. Furthermore, I just hate what it has became.

8. twosoups

I have nothing good to say about my government, and when I was a child I always wondered why it seemed so many foreigners hated the greatest country on Earth. Then I grew up, and got more involved in politics. That was when I became more critical of our government then most of those foreigners. I am more than disgusted, ashamed, and distrustful of our government then I ever imagined I would be back then.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate America. It just has its ups and its downs. I mean there might be some things I don't like but there are other things that I do like.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

As an American citizen I'm embarrassed by our over-all ignorance and our in-your-face (and often blind might I add) patriotism, but I don't hate America.

11. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are times that I think to myself " I hate America. I wish I was in Canada." and then I remember that it could be worse and I could be in Uganda or Russia.

12. jameslover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm usually just disappointed in America. It had all this potential, but then just lost it!

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a mixture of snobbery and insecurity. I think a lot of Europeans secretly resent the dominance of American culture and how invasive the English language is, and at the same time consider it to be inferior to their own, lacking in class or sophistication, and consider Americans to be unrefined and trashy, and their government hungry for war.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate parts about it, but hate even more when foreigners feel the need to give their two cents in every discussion. :wink:

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a large part of this is simple geographical isolation coupled with xenophobia. Just think-- a lot of our population lives on the coast or borders with Canada/Mexico, but in some areas, it's nothing but USA for a thousand miles. You would go through a half dozen countries at least if you tried that in Europe. It's hard to accept difference when you are inundated with your own culture to the exclusion of others. Our only saving grace is the internet, where I've made friends in other places and learned about the rich world out there. Unfortunately, not even a near-complete collection of human knowledge is enough to cure stupidity.

16. SomeLeviathan

there is a long list of things I hate about America and its history, its current foreign police and domestic policy, and some groups of people who are Americans.

that said, as an ontological entity I don't hate America, but I don't love it.

17. Yuber

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As French I truly love the United States (and as Canadian I’m totally envious).
    I won’t judge a country by a visible and annoying minority of its inhabitants (as my mother said, France is a beautiful country, only French people spoiled the landscape), far-right and stupid extremists are everywhere and in almost every country. I love Iran too, for the history, the language, and the people are so charming. But if you judge by the politicians and laws that run the country, it’s one of the worst countries in the world.

Personally I despise Canada, it’s the most boring country in the world, and his history is something lame. USA for example have forged a unique modern mythology that missing Canada, based on conquest, wars, charismatic presidents and generals, have been the hub of humanity for the past three centuries, and top of all gives us a lot in the arts and sciences. And it still does.
    And Canada? Nothing at all. Ah, yes, Céline Dion and Justin Bieber. That’s help a lot.

If some Americans despise their own country, I gladly want to exchange my Canadian passport for an American one (but I’m keeping my French citizenship).

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There are much, much, much worse placesin the world to live.

19. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

That is true, to an extent our ignorance is a product of geographical circumstances, but I still think that the level of ignorance in this country is inexcusable given the huge amount of information that is available to us.

20. BelleFromHell

I used to. Now, I see it as mediocre. I don't hate the concept of America (quite the opposite, actually), I just hate all the idiots we have here.