1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Periods suuuuuck. Especially for FTMs.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Jan 7, 2015.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I used to get really dysphoric on shark week. Now, I still do but since starting a new medication and using a reusable cup, it's really made a huge difference.

I am a guy. I'm just a guy with what I've come to see as a weird, somewhat harmless medical condition. I hate what it does to my boxers though. And blowjobs :frowning2:

2. indiqo

I get really upset by it. I feel disgusting and vile and I just wish it didn't happen to me. BUT I don't know if it's because I'm very afraid of reproductive things in general and also the word "woman" being applied to me really makes my skin crawl and this is one of those times it is applied..or if it's some body dysphoria. but I haven't figured out if I experience that or not, because I find it difficult to understand. I know how I feel, as I have felt this way forever.. I feel I don't have a gender identity. it's a white blur/blind spot. but as far as my body is concerned, I would not want to transition and I'm not even sure if I could I would be physically neither male/female...and I feel comfortable female most of the time except these times, when I feel like shit -__-

3. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get really heavy periods, it's just awful. I'm just waiting for menopause. Hopefully it isn't too far off now, and I'll be done.

4. wanderinggirl

Drink lots of water! It helps keep you hydrated so you don't get stomach pains.

Sorry it sucks so much. :frowning2:

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm so glad I haven't experienced one in over a year now. I am so, so glad.

Back when I did, ibuprofen was my lifesaver.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ibuprofen saves me, too. I drink lots of water and eat healthy because of running. I don't drink caffeine. I pretty much do everything that has been mentioned. But I still bleed a lot and it's messy... -.- Ugh, why were female-bodied people so unfortunate? Why can't we absorb it like other animals??!

7. suninthesky

Guess I got pretty lucky.. didn't start mine until I was 15. I did inherit my mum's migraines though. You're young and might still be getting regulated. Mine were pretty heavy from 15-19. I got payback though that my cycle used to be only 22-23 days long. So short :frowning2: In the last couple years they've lightened up though.. might have something to do with running 60-75 miles a week for months on end though. My advice is to run more miles. >_> Honestly. The more you run the lighter they'll be. But alwaysalways make sure you get one. Don't want to end up with stress fractures. Also, don't take steroid pain relievers. Stick to advil if you have to take something. Tylenol always makes the pain way worse months later.

For the pain, take a magnesium supplement. It'll help your sore running muscles too.

8. Friendly Lion

I was lucky to get pretty light periods thank god (Maybe it's just because I'm young?). I'm an agender kid, but still, I hang out mostly with guys and it's a pain in the ass when they're all planning a weekend camping trip or something and I end up having to say no because I'm worried about the embarrassment/dysphoria associated with bleeding out of the incorrect anatomy. Also, when my girlfriend is on her period and I realize we experience the same bodily functions, it just feels so wrong...

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #29 jay777, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are lucky! We probably started within a year of each other, despite our age difference. I started at 12 and I'm almost 17. My cycle is longer, but really irregular. Sometimes the gap is 20 days, sometimes 50. Wow, I can't imagine running 60-75 miles a week. You're on T, right? When I'm in shape (winter training started a week ago for me, so I'm not), I try to get around 30 in. But since I'm training for track it will probably be less, because of the shorter events. My coaches think a lot of mileage is good, but it isn't everything. I have noticed that the more I run, the lighter it is. My rest break was about two weeks ago, and my recent period was really heavy (for me). I do take Ibuprofen when it hurts (which isn't too often, thankfully). I'd try and be more healthy about it, but other stuff doesn't seem to work. Thanks for the advice Sun!

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2015 at 10:00 PM ----------

I don't think youth has to do with it. Honestly, the younger someone is, the more heavy periods they'll get, I think. You're just a lucky one. :wink:

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2015 at 10:04 PM ----------

Thanks! Yeah, I take vitamin D supplements, eat eggs almost every morning. Though I can't have cereal a lot. I'm lactose intolerant, slightly, but I have to be careful of even almond milk.

11. Ghosting

I have hated them all my life because I manage a chronic genetic blood disorder which greatly exacerbates the effects of a period - especially the bleeding - but it was the most predictable thing like clockwork and thankfully, once I became an adult, the cramping problems almost all went away while the mood swings got worse...

But in the last 7 years after dealing with literal hormonal imbalance irregularities (no, I'm not/can't be on T), I'm -almost- wishing to have them regular again.

Because of the imbalance, I may not see my period anywhere from 45 to 60 days on a 'natural' and 'unintervened' basis.

Sounds great, right?

Well, when they DO come, I can get 2 weeks of period and not-quite-period bleeding and it can land me in the hospital for a transfusion and that is definitely NOT good.

On the one hand, my doctor wants me to stop bleeding altogether so I don't have to worry about exacerbations of my blood disorder... but on the other hand, menstrual bleeding is the only natural way for my body to release some of the way-too-excess iron stores it has and I desperately need for that to happen.

Just --- UGH.

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry, Ghosting. D: That must be hard. I never really see people who have too much iron. I'm one of those that needs more of it.

13. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Blood donations? How about stopping the period and donate blood instead?

14. Lazuri

If there's too much iron in or if there's a blood disorder, you can't donate blood. It'd be dangerous for the recepient.

15. suninthesky

12? I'm so sorry.

Ha, no I'm definitely not on T. I can't because I'm competing in college as female. I did any where from 40-60 in high school. My coach just trains us pretty hard. His wife marathons and run 100-120 miles a week.

Magnesium is like $3 at Walmart.. if you've tried it before try having more. It's water soluble so it's not gonna hurt you to have 200-400 from supplements, especially around sharkweek. Space it out though, cause too much as once can be a laxative.

#35 suninthesky, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since going off bro control (new term for birth control), shark week hasn't been as intense. Before, it would last a week, to months on end, and the pain would be so painful that I couldn't stand up for too long.

Now, it only lasts maybe 2-3 days now and the pain isn't too terrible. I don't have much to recommend besides drink plenty of fluids and take it easy. I find that watching stuff on netflix and playing video games help distract me from any dysphoria that might come about.

17. Nope, not in the slightest to me; more like high expectations. Sexist in my world is binary genders saying one is the better than the other, tropically males dominating over females or vis versa.

18. antibinary

I hate it. I'm just like this is pointless, I don't want kids, it hurts, I'm not a girl (most of the time.) And when it doesn't come I'm like why isn't it coming?

19. Ghosting

@Tai: Periods can be lots of no fun for sure and I empathize with anyone who's had problems! :frowning2: Having too much iron is actually a natural and unfortunate byproduct of my blood disorder; I cannot control it at all as my body basically is hyper-efficient at pulling and hoarding iron.

@sherlock & @Lazuri: The disorder actually makes it unsafe for me to donate blood to get rid of the iron as that would put me into the same situation as losing too much blood. There are ways to filter blood and the extra iron out when it comes to donations but in all honesty, nobody with my disorder would be able to donate anyways. There is a way to remove the iron from my body without losing blood, but it (the method that really works well) is somewhat risky as well as it can be a potentially toxic process and there's the very real risk of pulling too much.

We need iron in our bodies in the right amounts... But too much and it becomes toxic as it oxidizes. Iron overload is uncommon in otherwise healthy people; in my case and for the people who share my similar disorder, it is part and parcel and comes hand in hand with the disorder.

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2015 at 03:39 AM ----------

Hear, hear!

If it weren't doing something useful for me (releasing some iron), I would be even more irritated with it.

@suninthesky & @Tai, I've got to say that magnesium helps for me and so does more calcium and vitamin d. I use something called MagnaCalm which is a magnesium based drink powder you dissolve into water (hot preferable) which helps if I feel crampy and there is a calcium, magnesium, and vitamin d supplement I take on and off which has a ratio of 2:1 (cal and mag) which helps, too. I found that the citrate versions (for cal and mag) work better, too.

20. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I hate the cramps I get during my periods. :x They suck immensely....and I get really bad body dysphoria too.