1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Good Country for My Future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thevenerable, Jan 7, 2015.

1. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm currently studying Electrical Engineering in one of the most well-known universities here in the Philippines and I will hopefully graduate a year from now. I'm planning to work in our country for a few years to gain some work experience and then I'll most probably move to another country to work, live, and, eventually, to settle.

The problem is I don't know which country should I move to. Most electrical engineering jobs are in demand in the Middle East and I definitely do not want to go there.

Can you guys help me planning my future? :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get good qualifications ... and you can get work almost anywhere. You will not need to head for the country where the most activity is .. If you are good enough you can call the shots!!

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. thevenerable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

After reading some articles online, I found out that it is really hard to get into any country that is part of the EU due to their strict policy when it comes to immigrant workers. I'm pretty sad to discover that because a lot of gay-friendly countries are members of the EU like Netherlands, Belgium, and the Scandinavia.

I'm actually targeting the West European countries but it may be hard for me to enter those countries to live and work especially coming from a small country.

5. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How about Canada?

I didn't know it was that difficult to get into Europe... :confused:

6. thevenerable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is Canada in need of electrical engineers? I don't really believe that USA and Canada's main concern nowadays is their supply of electricity.

7. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Electrical engineering have a lot of branshes there are projects where you build substations and towers.

There are operation who operates stations and there are maintenance who support stations and ofcaurse there are the engineers working in buildings electricity design and construction. Bottom line is you have a vast choises And you will find a job in any place you want to.

8. thevenerable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Alright. One of my concerns is the attitude of the locals and the industry itself towards immigrants. I understand now that European countries are dealing with their problems with immigrants especially Germany. USA is also having the same issue. Being Asian, I don't really think that the job market of other countries from other continents is THAT welcoming for us. One of the reasons may be the language barrier. English is not my native language.

9. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have lived in UAE for 44 years and I'm still an Alien, and we are always afraid that we will be kicked out of our jobs for locals to replace us, but still this country is open for more people to come and they find jobs and some starts businesses. So in all the world you will find an attitude from locals but if you have it written in your stars it will happen inspite of them. And you have good English and when you be there it will improve further.

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I'm not so sure about this assumption .. I think if you have skills that the EU needs, and certificates to prove it, you stand a good chance of getting in if there is a job on offer… do some more research .. WE WANT YOU HERE !! :icon_bigg

11. Yosia

Don't japan do a lot of Electrics and technology? ^^

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Canada sounds good, or the more liberal parts of the US, if Europe is too hard to get into. And parts of the US are turning to more and more renewable sources, especially California, so that could be one place to look, with a lot of diversity and natural beauty. The New England states are also especially pretty, to me.

Good luck!

13. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd agree that California would be a good choice. Tons of renewable energy being built there. There's a lot here in the New England Area as well but I'd warn you how cold the winters are here since you're from the phillipines. It's going to be like negative 10 degrees fareignheight tomorrow and it's dreadful

14. Rolando4

What about up and coming countries like Brazil? Or chile? But you'd have to learn the languages (Portuguese or Spanish). I have a friend who's Chilean and it's definitely a promising country. One of the most developed in Latin America (set to become developed soon) and is a new destination for immigrants (mainly spaniards and from neighboring countries). Peru is also up and coming and has a small but important Asian community (mainly Japanese). They had a Japanese president.

Oh but I'm not sure how gay people are treated. Chile seems more conservative, as does Peru. But cities are always more progressive than the country as a whole.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2015 at 09:53 PM ----------

Oh there's panama too! A lot of Asians and Panama City is pretty developed and modern. I'd love to live there.

#14 Rolando4, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  15. thevenerable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm so scared to live and settle in the Middle East because of the different problems they are currently facing. Besides, most of the West Asian countries' governments do not support the LGBT community. Being gay in some west asian countries is illegal. Also, I don't think our problem with ISIS and Al Qaeda is going to end soon, I don't want to take the risk when they become stronger by 2016.

By the way, aren't you scared at all by what's happening nowadays? How's life there in Dubai?

I've read that as long as you're country is also a member of EU, then it will be easier to find work and settle in other EU countries. But for immigrants from non-EU countries, it will be harder and more complicated. Not impossible but very complicated. I'll try my luck in 2016 after I passed my board exam here in the Philippines and gained some working experience. Also, I don't think Europe is very welcoming now to immigrants because of what happened to France. I'm afraid that I will face extreme racist attacks from locals if I move to countries with big problems concerning the immigrants.

Japan is need of electronics engineers but my major is in power engineering. I can work with electronics but my knowledge is kindda limited to that specific field. I'd have to face great competition with electronic and communications engineering majors. But I also want to try applying for a job there. My main concern is their culture. LGBT is a VERY sensitive issue in ANY Asian country---no matter what they tell you about Thailand, Singapore, and Philippines.

16. thevenerable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for your suggestion. I didn't know that California's building more renewable energy power stations! That's definitely good to hear. I hope this goes on for the next few more years. I'm really excited about this news. I also want to consider the New England states!

I think I still can adapt with the climate there. I'll definitely consider New England states because they also support equal rights and they're relatively friendly to LGBT than their southern neighbors---I think. I've never been to USA.

If I'm going to Latin America, I'd first consider Uruguay because of their government's support to equal rights. I also love their President, very humble and considerate. Is same-sex marriage legal in Argentina?

17. Iamqm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you're good at what you're doing then it's actually not that unlikely to get a job in Europe. Of course it's much easier if your country is a member of the EU but the word "easier" means like: "really easy". You could basically move to another country every year or every second year... It's propbably a lot of paperwork to move from the Philippines to Europe, to get a permit and a job but it's definitely possible!
    And about the racist attacks:

1) that's not Europe! Just a bunch of crazy racists in Paris.
    2) Asian foreigners aren't really "the target" if you know what I mean? Here in Switzerland it's a) the muslims and b) Romanians (and I definitely do not support that)
    3)It really depends on the country. I wouldn't recommend Eastern Europe for instance (they're pretty conservative there, and if you're Asian and gay... well, let's just say that it's not the best combination...)

I would recommend the Nordic countries, Spain and the German speaking countries. But unless you work for an international company you'll have to learn Spanish/German.

I know it's complicated but really, try! It might be worth it!
    I hope I managed to clear some things up. If you have any other questions or concerns, just ask :slight_smile:

18. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In europe, due to unemployment in many places, there is a change in attitudes towards immigrants … but do not let it stand in the way of your plans. You are just as likely to receive a warm welcome wherever you go. It is only the very, very, very few extremists who are skewing the media.

I think EC'ers should bid for you !! I bid $50 for you to come to the UK !!

19. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

LGBT isn't that big of a deal in Thai or Japan. Just because your culture may be conservative, doesn't mean other cultures are.

They won't attack you for it like in the west. But in Japan, they just don't talk about it, or sexuality at all really.

I actually was going to suggest Thailand. Close to your country, and as far as I know, easier to get into than Japan.

But if you go to either, you must learn their culture.

20. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes it is. I don't hear many good things from Argentina these days though. Their government has been controlling more and more of the economy and it is very corrupt.

Uruguay is a much better country in terms of corruption level and transparency, but it is quite small, having around 3.5~4 million inhabitants and their economy relies mainly on exportation of agricultural products. I do not know if there are good job opportunities there, specially to immigrants.

If you think about moving to Latin America, I would recommend Chile or Costa Rica. Chile has nearly 20 million inhabitants, has the most free and dynamic economy in Latin America the highest HDI. It doesn't recognize same-sex marriage yet, but the actual president is trying to push recognition in the Congress. It's only a matter of time. Costa Rica also has been growing significantly in the last years and it also has one of the most stable government systems in the continent. There are lots of technology companies established there and the country also adopts a ''green philosophy'', so they prioritize alternative forms of energy. While the country is also small (4.5m inhabitants) it is very friendly to foreigners. One thing you may not like is that Catholicism is still the official state religion, but that doesn't keep it from having a notable gay community

However, if you do decide to leave your country, I still believe the US or Canada would be your best bet.