1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever had the higher ground in an argument but felt truly terrible about it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gabby29, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I remember being in a typical religious argument with a girl who strongly believed LGBT was an abomination. Arguments like these don't go anywhere but in circles, an old friend of mine told me, "Religion is like someone's heart so they're gonna defend themselves like you're trying to kill them." Which made perfect sense to me because that's exactly how people are in these kind of arguments. I would go in further detail about how the argument but it would only go off topic, long story short the girl I argued with walked out crying after what I told her. I felt guilty and confused because what the girl said to me was hurtful and offensive, which didn't phase me but I felt like I should have just saved my breath and slapped her even though everyone that was there told me not to feel bad that I was "right". Anyone else been through this?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Have you ever had the higher ground in an argument but felt truly terrible about

Only when I feel I've unjustly taunted someone instead of trying to productively convince them and/or those witnessing the discussion.

Sometimes it can feel bad to have been responsible for cornering someone instead of giving them a way out and allowing them to save face. If you weren't being unreasonable to her, then I wouldn't feel sorry; your tone matters less than her decision to deride you and the rest of us for being queer.

3. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: Have you ever had the higher ground in an argument but felt truly terrible about

Sometimes, then with fiery might and a conviction of steel I crush any feelings of regret. For I was right! I had the high ground and I used the unforgivable nuclear bomb for the greater good of humanity.

Thus there was justice and the land was at peace... Until the next time the conversation came up and I said, "Meh, I'm gonna go get the beer."

4. MouseKeeper

Whenever I debate my mother about marijuana.

5. Mickz

All the time. I always feel terrible, but it's usually when someone chooses to have an argument with me so it's their fault in the first place...

6. ChameleonSoul

Not really. It may sound horrible, but I revel in being situations like that, even if it makes me look a bit conceited.