1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last Names

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by waitwhat, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good question... It's simple if getting married. I'd probably wish to keep my last name. I feel like, even though I am gay, as a male, it's traditional for me to keep my last name when I get married. However, the same would go for a future husband. So, I'd probably say we both keep our last names of that is possible, or he can take mine if he wants. I probably would not want to take someone elses'. What's complicated is children.... Guess I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would take their last name for the simple reason that it means I can get rid of mine. XD

3. ZestyLion

It depends on my husband. There are no other males in my family, so if I don't keep my name, it will end here. Of course it will go on somewhere else, just not in my family.

However, I would also consider my husband's situation. He could have the same type of family. Or he may just want to keep his name. Hyphenation isn't a problem with me. Unless it sounds ridiculous of course. But if we don't, I'd be fine with taking his name.

4. timo

In my opinion the whole concept of taking someone else's name is utterly ridiculous. Like you're giving up part of who you are when you marry.

5. Yosia

I'm changing my last name when I marry. I see it as a way of saying 'i'm yours, and you're mine' sort of thing. ^.^

6. NatWheeled

Well, even before I realized I was gay I couldn't wait to marry one day n ditch my last name. Its hard to pronounce and a pain to spell. Plus, I'm pretty sure my family won't be very accepting of my sexuality...tolerant maybe, but to them its a sin. So why would I wanna keep their name if they're going to ostracize me?

So I'll be taking my wife's last name. My girlfriend has a pretty cool last name.

Hypothetically, if neither of our last names were adequate I'd prolly suggest coming up with our own unique last name, rather than hyphenating.

7. Sapphy

My surname is very uncommon so I would like to keep it. I would be happy for my SO to have my surname on the agreement that if we divorce they stop using my name.

8. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. If my partner wants to take my last name, then I'll do that.

Otherwise I'll hyphenate.

9. Ellieworm

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I would want to keep my last name. anyhow, I can't even imagine trying to master a new signature and i know I would mess up writing my name for the first year

10. ReyJ

I think I'm too attached to my last name to give it up completely, so I'd probably hyphenateas long as my husband's last name didn't sound ridiculous :slight_smile:

11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd talk it over with my wife to be and we'd discuss what we'd like to do... personally I like the idea of combining last names together :3

12. ChameleonSoul

It's a long story, but now I can't stand my last name. Odds are I will take my future husband's last name.

13. dizzyCalysto

Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it depends on the name, but if me and my figurative wife were to adopt, I might want to give the kid my last name. It's extremely hard to make a joke out of it, and anyone who tries sound lame