1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with my gender Identity.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ResidentTheatreKid, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any friends XD I don't leave my house. Ever. I am stuck here. Whenever I have my hair cut, it is done by her or one of her friends. I never stay round a friends house and the most I go out for is to get milk if we run out or go to my Nan's. She literally allows me no independence whatsoever.

Her reaction when I asked to get my hair cut short was
    'What are you, a lesbian?'

Well yes actually I am, but that's got nothing to do with that, and more to do with the fact that sometimes I don't feel like a girl. Got a problem?

I just turned around and walked out the room before we had another argument about homophobia.

At the moment, there's very little I can do about my appearance. I just want to try and work out what my gender identity actually is. It may take a while ^^

I don't want shaved sides or punkish, I just want quite a natural short haircut that I could pull off as androgynous if I wore a hoodie but feminine if I wore a dress. Something sort of like this:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

2. wasgij

OMG does she also check your finger for fatness and your house is made of gingerbread? :eek:

Your hoodie one was better. You've got the La Roux (Elly Jackson) thing happening, minus the anti-gravity fringe. But I say that in a purely platonic way, she'll be like 28 or something and you're 14.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2015 at 12:55 AM ----------

Jokes aside, I've found myself doing a lot of breathing exercises when I first had that revelation about having a non-binary gender, just late last year. Sometimes I feel like it's me versus the world: should I change to keep other people happy? Or maybe I'm just paranoid about what I think other people think, and I should just go with the flow?

So I guess it's not meant to be easy.

Have you considered that your mum might be a closet lesbian? And she might not know about it.
    Seriously. People assume that closeted people are fully aware of themselves, but that's not the case.

#22 wasgij, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  3. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stuff would be more bearable if the house was made of gingerbread XD easier to escape from, anyway.

I'm just talking about the general length for that picture, not the fringe. I can't find the style that I picture in my head, which is annoying!

I keep worrying about what other people would say- I don't think they'd understand. Even if I told them I was genderqueer, which is all I can identify as at the moment. I don't think anyone at school would call me by gender neutral pronouns if I asked either, because I look like a girl.

My mum is engaged to a man, so I very much doubt she's a lesbian. She's been with a few men in my lifetime, so no, she's straight. She's just very mean. When I tried to come out she told me that it was only natural for boys to be gay and for girls it's just wrong. *shrugs*

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it's difficult when you don't have enough freedom to be yourself.
    I remember when I was 12 I went to a hairdresser because I wanted to get a short men's haircut. The hairdresser refused to do it so I cut my hair myself when I returned home. I ended up with my hair to be just a few millimetres long and my parents got angry.

5. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I ended up talking to my friend about my gender today, and she was quite supportive. I had to explain to her what certain terms meant like 'androgynous' and what qenderqueer is, but she said that sometimes she liked to try and look more masculine. So she was pretty good to talk to, and now at least I can talk to her about it. She also asked me about pronouns, and I told her that although I would sometimes prefer neutral pronouns, I look so girly that there's probably no point in asking for them.

So at least she knows I'm somewhat genderqueer, and I can talk to her about my adventures of discovering my identity. I'm sure she will be positively thrilled. XD

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool! ^.^

7. antibinary

Demiflux is where half your gender is fluid, half is static. (One half might be androgynous, one half might flow between boy and girl.)
    Demifluid means both halves are fluid, but they are fluid independently form each other. (One half might flow between agender and third gender, and the other might flow from boy to girl.)
    Everyone has a different definition though.

8. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think either of them suit me. I'm either a girl, or I'm androgynous. Maybe I'm completely androgynous and I just didn't know about it before. I'm not sure.

So far, either Genderfluid or Demigender are looking the most accurate. The only problem being with Genderfluid, it is mostly between identifying as female some days, and male other days, with some grey area. Am I correct in this? Because I never feel like I'm totally a boy, I don't think.

And with Demigirl, I'm not sure if it is representative of how I feel like a girl some days, and androgynous on others. Most places I've gone for help (I've been on a few groups on Tumblr) have said that this sounds more like genderfluidity.

*lays face down on the floor*

9. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any other people I have tried I talk to in school have just gone

'But you can't be neither. You either have a dick or a vagina :confused:'
    *tries to explain*
    'No, you're just making things up it isn't real.'
    *walks away calmly from the stupidity*

Or one other person just told me I was transgender in denial.

*continues to lay on the floor*

10. Lazuri

Ignorance is hard. Don't be mad at them though, nobody taught them better. Maybe one day they'll understand or maybe their children will be less ignorant due to more education on the subject.

11. Music Soul

I identify as genderfluid, and I tend to fluctuate between female, neutral, male, and the grey areas in between and beyond those. But being genderfluid doesn't mean that you have to fluctuate between all of those genders, it just means that your gender fluctuates between more than one. It doesn't have to include male.

Hope this helps! (*hug*)

12. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my Oz, that is very helpful, thank you :slight_smile:

So I might be Genderfluid.

13. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And by this point I have decided to fuck the gender binary (not literally- I'm only interested in one end of it) and just sit here on the outside and do whatever I want. People can shove their gender roles and stereotypes up their rear ends, I'm agender XD

14. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for this post it's very inspiring for me -

I have not a clue about any of these labels but I know at the minute I am panicking and struggling with my gender -( I didn't even know sex and gender where different until the other day

I keep asking myself 'am I a boy ' and then I just go ' that's ridiculous - I'm 42 yrs I would know this by now - I never had these thoughts and feelings as a younger person
    So there is something going on with my gender identity -
    And I am glad I now know the different between sex and gender
    As a child I felt Tom boy and I liked all things boyish - then as a teen I loved the whole make up and girl
    Now as a gay women I am starting to embrace the masculine side of me - it's there for sure - and I like it but it scares me as I go into panic that I'm a man - even though I know I'm not -
    A part of my gender is male
    I wonder if all gay women have this ?

15. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender is a weird thing, because until I found out that gender was separate to sex, I never thought about it either. I was just a girl, just Nicole, just who everyone told me I was. And then I came here and began to question it, because if, 3-4 years ago, you'd come up to me and told me that I'd be out as a lesbian, I'd have laughed in your face.

And then I began to realise that I actually don't behave like most girls, I hate makeup most of the time, so I began to try and look for answers. And then I went through denial, same old same old 'if you were, you'd have known ages ago' as if I hadn't just been through the exact same thing with my sexuality. And then recently I realised that I don't give a shit about binary unless I'm in a computer science lesson, and I'm just going to look however I want because I have no gender so screw everyone's stereotypes.

I don't think every queer woman is non-cis, but I think that by being a gay/bisexual/pansexual/queer woman and finding yourself in the LGBT community puts you at a much higher chance of beginning to think about your gender identity. Because you can't make a decision over something you have no idea about, simply because you haven't ever had the concept in your head to think about. Until you know what gender is, you can't think about what your gender is.

I feel out of place giving you advice because.... Well I'm 15 and you're much older, but all I'm gonna say is... Don't just try and forget about it or talk yourself out of it because it does catch up with you, it won't go away. I tried, honestly. But if you spend a while exploring it, looking at different labels, changing them however often you'd like until you find the right one, then even if you end up just settling with cis woman, you'll be a whole lot more at ease XD

#35 ResidentTheatreKid, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015