1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Emma Scale! (My analogy of Gender Identity)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MsEmmzy, Jan 3, 2015.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was just laying in bed and thinking about the gender spectrum, when I came up with a little analogy about what gender identity is in general.

Remember back in grade school, when you were learning about how to use negative numbers in math? At least in my school, they gave us a bar that looked a little like the one below. The way we used it was we started at whatever number you had first, then moved according to the second number in order to find the answer.

--l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l------l
    -10lll-9llllll-8lllll-7lllll-6lllll-5llllll-4lllll-3llllll-2lllll-1llllll0lllllll1lllllll2lllllll3llllll4lllllll5lllllll6lllllll7llllll8lllllll9llllll10

What I like about this scale is that you can use it to describe the gender spectrum. Let's say society's idea of "female" is at -10, and society's idea of "male" is 10. What I like even more, is that you don't have to be a spot on the scale. You can take multiple different numbers and put them together to make your own gender identity.

Now let's put this scale into action, shall we? Let's take some common gender terms to get us started.

- Cisgender: A "cisgender male" would probably be between numbers 6 and 10, depending on the person. By contrast, a "cisgender female" would most likely be somewhere between -6 and -10.

- Transsexual: About the same as above. An "MtF" would be between -6 and -10, while an "FtM" would be between 6 and 10.

- Genderfluid: This is where the scale gets interesting. As I said, you don't need to be a specific point on the scale. For example, a genderfluid person could be, say, a -8 and a 7.

- Pangender: All the numbers at once! These people would be ranging from -10 all the way to 10!

- Agender: Screw the scale! :icon_wink

That's only one way to interpret the scale though. I also see it as a general idea of how we're feeling each and every day. In this interpretation, we can only be one point on the scale. But where that point is will change depending on the mood. By thinking in this way, labels cease to exist. We simply are on the left, the right, in the center, the entire thing, or not on it at all. Transsexuals and cisgendered people would most likely stay on their specific side, while the other genders' positions would fluctuate a little more.

Perhaps my favoutite part of this scale is the relationship to sexual orientation. Have you noticed? There is none.

Riight well there's my sleepy, slightly insane mind going off with crazy thoughts for ya! What do you all think? Are there any changes you'd make to the scale? Do you interpret it in a different way? Have you seen/thought something similar before? How's my ASCII? Do you like the name of the scale? Um what else.. When's your birthday? :lol:

Woo boy.. I should probably get some sleep... Let me know what you think! :icon_bigg

#1 MsEmmzy, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Okulous

I used to view gender as binary, but now that I have read about it, I found out that there is a whole range of genders out there. This spectrum is how I view gender identity now.

3. Raatox

Thats pretty much how I view It too, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:
    I also view sexuality like that, but at another scale , so that everyone has two scales, one for sexuality, one for gender identify :slight_smile:

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Hm.. I wonder where I'd be on the scale. I'm transsexual male but not your typical guy. I wear makeup and love fashion etc so I'm not 10.

However I am 100% guy and only flamboyant sometimes.

5. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say I'm a six or seven

6. WyldStyle

I've always been pretty feminine so Id say when I'm a male Id be 3-4 and when I'm a female I'm -6 or -5

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice, haha. I'd probably be a 6 or 7 because I'm feminine.

8. Seige

I dont understand how the scale works/is supposed to teach negatives :/ I feel stupid.

9. iam324b21

iam324b21 Guest

I probably fluctuate between -7 and 3. My gender identity is sort of screwing me over right now.

10. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha that's alright.. :icon_wink In math it helps because say for example you had (-4) + (6) then you would start at -4. Then because 6 is positive you move to the right 6 spaces, so you would end up at positive 2. Or if you had (9) + (-3), then you would start at 9 and, because -3 is negative, you move 3 spaces to left left to end up at 6.

Do you understand the gender part though?

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'd be -6, since I feel vaguely female. Or -5.

This is interesting; thanks for sharing. ^.^

12. Sam I Am

In my reproductive biology and developmental endocrinology classes we learned that there are actually two scales for gender. Gender is not a scale of male to female - masculinization and feminization are largely separate processes in the body. Usually, when one occurs, it inhibits the other process, but this doesn't always happen. A person can be both masculinizied AND feminized, or neither can occur. There are lots of options!

So our two gender scales are agender (0) to male (10) and agender (0) to female (10). A person who does not experience a strong sense of gender but vaguely identifies as male might be a 1 or 2 on the male scale and a 0 on the female scale. A person who identifies as fully female would have a 0 on the male scale and a 10 on the female scale. A person who feels that they have both male and female characteristics might have a 5 on both scales.

In short, being male doesn't have to reduce the extent to which you are also female, and vice versa!

And finally, as other posters have pointed out, gender is only one of many scales. There's gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual behavior, and others, none of which particularly have to overlap with the others. I recommend checking out the Genderbread Model.

#12 Sam I Am, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  13. Seige

-_- Just realised why I was so confused. Im on a tablet, so the negatives and poaitves are on top of each other. I understand now. Id probably be about a -8 I love being a girl, but I do jave some masculine things about me.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably -7 because I like being pretty, female aesthetics and being able to show my emotive side.

Not a -10 because because I well... Have a lot of residual bro tendencies and interests. But that's ok.

15. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like having the two scales, one for male and one for female, because I have definitely had days when I felt pretty male and pretty female at the same time. That being said, using Emma's scale you could just choose two numbers, e.g. if you're feeling male and female you could be a 5 and a -5 at the same time.

16. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's sort of what I was going for.. :icon_wink I do like the seperate scale idea though. :slight_smile:

17. Seige

I really like the idea of this scale for gender, but not HAVING to be on the scale, or being multiple numbers at once.
    Would it be ok if I brought this up at the GSA at my school? Im not sure If I will (I tend to be a tad nervous, and shy in person), but I want to make sure I have permission if I do.

18. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, go right ahead! :slight_smile: Hopefully it helps.

19. antibinary

Not all genders are on that scale. I spend some of my life being on a completely different scale, some on a different scale and this one, and some just on this scale. My gender is crazy.

20. Jellal

I'm probably a 0 to -4. Not one to consider myself a boy in any way other than my body, but easily preferring to be known as female rather than male despite having typically "masculine" characteristics. I'm of the opinion that masculinity and femininity are more like the condiments on your genderburger than a vital component of the actual sandwich.