1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering coming out to my cousin.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Seige, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Seige

Like the title says, I just don't know if I should... I'm out to basically everyone at this point, but not my relatives in other states. One of my cousins is super nice. Shes 18 and shes definitely the one Id want to come out to first, but I'm scared she'll reject me. Idk what to do honestly.

2. Seige

Decided to do it over text. Just texted her. Nervous as hell right now.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Good luck!

4. Seige

Well came out to her. She took it pretty well, but she doesnt believe that Im really female, and she isnt going to call me by seige or use female pronouns. So it turned out much better than I expected, but a lot worse than I hoped.

5. OOC73

Give her time. Remember you have had a while to get your head around this. She hasn't yet. She may well evolve as you do along the way and be able to manage to refer to you as you wish to be known.

Hugs and well done for being so brave! You did a great thing.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, congratulations on coming out to your cousin! Time to pad yourself on your back if you haven't done so yet! :slight_smile:

The good news is that she took it well, and that it turned out much better that you had expected. Give her some time to get used to that you are transgender. Before you started coming out, you had to come out to yourself and be comfortable with what you have to realised about yourself.

In some respects, your cousin has to come out too, in that she has to come to terms with the news. Giving her some time, and showing that it is perfectly fine to be who you are, could help her in her own coming out process.