1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook Pro problems?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Jan 2, 2015.

1. theMaverick

So, just recently I bought my sisters 2013 MacBook Pro from her. I've been starting to dig around in it and find out how to do stuff on a Mac (it's my first Mac). Yesterday, I updated it to OS X Yosemite. Today, I look in Security & Privacy because A.) it won't let me download things outside of the App Store and I notice that the Firewall is off. That's bad. So I clicked on the little lock thingy to make changes and I enter my password and it beeps and IMMEDIATELY RELOCKS ITSELF AND THIS IS MAKING ME SO ANGRY.

So...I already have an appointment with the Apple Store next week to hopefully get a few minor things fixed, but I'm hoping I can fix this on my own. Any suggestions?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. theMaverick

It did, thank you :grin:

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You're welcome

(*hug*)

5. Mia Mars

You're best off going back to mavericks, yosemite still isnt good imo. has a lot of bugs

6. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I'm pretty sure I have the same model as you do. I never update to the new version until at least a few more updates of that version come out. I'm still staying on Mavericks, thank you very much. XD

7. Thrip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wholeheartedly agree! With Yosemite, I got my first crash screen in 15 years. It had been so long since I'd seen one, it took me almost a minute to figure out what I was looking at. Unfortunately you need to stick with Yosemite if you want to use the new iPhone and iPad integration features.

I should take this opportunity to rant how apple has been going downhill since Snow Leopard, but I'll spare everyone.

When switching to a Mac you've got keep in mind that they have a different philosophy about how things should work. There are lots of resources to help you out and once you understand their reasoning, it ends up being simpler than windows, for the most part.

As for the firewall, you really shouldn't need it unless you are on a public wifi or directly connected to the Internet. I'm sure there are a few more reasons to use it, but it is off by default for a reason.

8. tiger11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too agree that you should wait a while before upgrading to the latest OS X, I learned that lesson the hard way when I went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion on my Early 2011 MBP. It was horrible!

But I will say that when Yosemite was released I upgraded to a SSD and did a fresh install and it is running wonderfully without any problems. I would even say it is comparable to Snow Leopard on my old mechanical drive.