1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for EC's transgender users

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kageshiro, Jan 2, 2015.

1. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

How do you feel about being referred to as a "trans" guy or girl, and would you prefer to be considered as "just" a guy or girl, in accordance with your own specific gender identity?

I ask because I view the "trans" label as unnecessary in this case and just something we use to explain ourselves to uneducated people with 2 dimensional ideas of what gender is. I believe that if I was the same person I am now except biologically female, I would strongly dislike being labeled as a "transguy" and thus refuse to identify as such. I would want to be seen as and acknowledged as entirely male, because that is what I am. On the other hand, I could see someone, for example, wanting to be recognized specifically as trans because they view it and the unique issues that accompany it as an important part of their identity, or perhaps because they want to raise awareness, show support for the community and etc. So I'm curious about what other users (particularly those who are, themselves, transgender) personal preference on this may be. I hope I haven't come across as offensive anywhere in here, as my aim in asking this is primarily to get a better understanding of what it is to be trans, and how to better accommodate and validate and appreciate our trans allies~ ♥

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

As you can see by my gender on here, I'd much rather just be seen as male.

In real life, once I go on hormones I will go stealth.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm male, but on the fence if I'm going to be open about my identity later on in life or if I intend on trying to be 100% stealth.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I would prefer just being known as male. Once I take hormones I plan on going stealth and not telling people that I'm trans. The only reason I have the trans label on here is because it relates to a lot of my posts and I want people to know what I'm talking about.

5. Yosia

I would rather be known simply as a girl. However, I have took pride in my identity and have decided that I am going to stand for the LGBT+ community and help other trans* people through their life.

6. Seige

I definetly wouldnt want one of my friends calling me a trans girl, if they were introducing me to someone, Id rather they just said "shes a girl". Im fine with using the trans label on here though, because it might confuse people when im talking. And honestly the trans label doesnt bother me all that much, as long as people realise im actually female, and just as female as biological females with a female gender. I feel like once I can well and truly pass constantly, Ill introduce myself and live as a female, but Im fairly sure my closest friends and any long time partners will know I was born a biological male. Transitioning has been too much a part of my life to pretend it never happened.

7. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I would not deny my identity as a trans* person, but only if I am directly asked by someone friendly, and only if disclosing would do no harm to my personal life or career. In real life, however, I might never transition because of multiple family issues. But this is how I'd react if I have the opportunity to transition, keep a job as a successful emergency physician, and keep my family intact.

8. suninthesky

I don't mind too much either way. In public, it's probably safe to refer to someone as a guy or girl. But within support groups or the LGBT community I don't mind it when people know I'm trans. I'm not stealth at any rate, but I can't imagine I'll want to be stealth within the LGBT community later in life.

9. JessicaWolfess

Of course I'd much prefer to be seen as just a girl, but that won't be for a good while yet if at all.

I wouldn't deny people if they asked though. But I'd much rather be introduced as a girl than "This is Jessica, she is transgender" to a stranger!

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would prefer to be called a guy. It's perfectly fine to refer to me as a trans guy, if it's at least mildly relevant to what we're discussing. It can't be avoided sometimes! A cis person might find it annoying if I constantly mentioned they're a cis person, especially on a thread about video games.

As other members have said, it's important to consider the possibility of accidentally outing trans people. It's pretty safe where I live, but that isn't the case for some other places in the world.

It feels weird to think "I identify as a guy" and "I identify as a trans guy". I'm a guy. It's an innate awareness of myself that I can't explain properly.

In my case, to put trans next to my gender, would feel similar to typing 'anemic' there, but I understand why people specify. It's only one thing about me. I would prefer to be thought of a person first and foremost. Then a regular guy. Hopefully that makes sense.

11. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same thing as some others.. I would prefer just "female", but I keep the trans* label on here simply because about 95% of all my posts are related :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When talking about trans issues online or in an offline support group, with anyone LGBT, I don't really care. But in public with people I don't know very well, stealth is better.

13. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not out yet to most of my friends, so in real life if I'm not known as a trans guy people will think I'm a girl. However I don't really care if people know I'm a trans guy as opposed to a cis guy as long as being out as trans wouldn't make them ask personal questions. I hate people asking me personal questions related to transitioning and stuff.

14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That depends. All in all, I really don't mind. But...

It's not something I want to make a noted discrepancy from the beginning of things. I don't want to be introduced to people as a transguy - I'd much rather be introduced with my name, and maybe some brief summation of things I do and am into or something. I don't want my "female" past talked about in depth by people that knew me before I started coming out, and I know that this will likely only bother me MORE as I physically transition, since I'll feel less and less like that person. I don't want to go on and on about my transness like it's the biggest part of my individual personality, because I'm much more than that one detail.

But if and when it matters (or doesn't, and is only a small detail), when I can safely use that perspective and that element of myself to better educate others on gender variance and teach them how to be allies to the trans community, that's when I would be most comfortable putting my trans status out there. Because in those two scenarios, I'm showing that transgender people are just people, which I think is the only way to bring about the sort of social change that we need in cis attitudes towards trans people.

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd prefer to just be a girl yeah... But idk, its kind of nice to know you aren't alone you know? So I guess keep the label trans* so others know they aren't the only one... Or something like that... Also, I'd kind feel like I was hiding something I don't want to be ashamed of if I didn't call myself trans... heck, I'm actually really happy to have the option here!

16. Quiet Raven

When/if I can, I would rather live as just a woman, without always having the trans label. But if it's relevant I don't mind the word coming into play.

The reason I have trans here is because on a site like this it comes up often, and I think things will be easier to understand that way.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am personally pretty open about my transgender identity. I see it as hiding a part of myself if I am not open about being transgender. I gone stealth before in a few situations, but I find it uncomfortable.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is probably what describes most of us here.

19. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I wish I was a cismale so I don't really want to be known as trans (except in an lgbt safe place like this forum talking about issues). But as others said, once I start transitioning I won't say anything about being trans.

20. Raatox

Like the most of you, I dont like to be introduced to people as trans, but as male.
    But for me personally I see myself as a transguy, a guy in a female body and that has affected my life a lot and also how I react at stuff and so, So even if I would love to be reborn as a guy, I think I'm a bit different from that and thus, being a transguy is kinda what I am...
    And I want to be proud about that, I guess :slight_smile: