1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for Hair

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Seige, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Seige

Ive been growing my hair out for the last few months and its getting fairly long. (A waitress actually called me ma'am at a restraunt when she saw me from behind.) The problem is that my hairs kindof crazy. Its straight in some places and curly and others and wavey on the side. I just was wondering if any girls/transwomen/guys with longer hair had any tips for keeping hair under control. Even gel doesnt really help unless I use a ton, and then it looks bad and well, gelled. Ive tried combing it, and leaving it messy, and different styles but nothing works. Ill post a picture of my hair once I gwt back if itll help.

2. sharkpool

I straighten my hair everyday. Yes, everyday

3. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i need some help in that department myself

4. Manta

My hair was like that when it was long. Almost always pulled it back... Even with short hair, a headband can look cute. Same with hair clips. You could look at getting your hair relaxed or a perm if you don't want to straighten/curl it all the time.

5. Seige

I may get a hair straigtener. At this point ive basically just been working with a comb and some gell. (I dont like the gell though) would it be easier to work with my hair if its straightened? Would straightening regularly or every day damage my hair or keep it from growing? I want to grow mine all the way out. Im not sure if my hairs lon enough to use hairclips or to pull back, id probably get made fun of if I wore a headband, and I dunno how good headbands would look on me, although I think thwy look really cute on other people.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

Hair straightening can be a bit of a chore but it could help so I would definitely try it. As long as you don't have the temperature too high and burn your hair, then it shouldn't cause any damage.

7. Seige

Im fine if it takes a bit of work. I have lots of time in the mornings. Any tips for headbands or hairclips or anything like that?

8. Manta

Headbands with decorations on them, or wider headbands usually work with short hair and bangs, particularly if your hair is fluffy.

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    you might try t get your hair damp, then comb it, then cover it with a towel and wait a while till its dry...

you might try different kinds of clips and rubbers for ponytails...

and you might try hairbands or hair braces...
    with hairbands you might have some hair over it in the back part, that should look better...

(*hug*)

10. soulcatcher

Wait until it all grows out to shoulder length.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You need a hair routeen , I suggest combing your hair out twice a day morning and night . Also try section it off when you comb it out which will make it easier to get to the hair and different parts or it .
    Also I suggest buying Nexus shampoos and conditioners their great for curly or fruzzy hair . Also when washing your hair make sure while it's wet and under water to comb it out before coming out of the shower .

Here are the links to nexus products if you don't like these nexus has more anti fuzzy stuff

http://www.amazon.com/NEXXUS-Frizz-Shampoo-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B006TURU12

Amazon.com : NEXXUS Frizz Defy Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce : Shampoo And Conditioner Sets : Beauty

Please do not over straighten and use hot tools in your hair all the time it will cause hair damage over time .

If your getting your hair straighten do it every for months also give it a deep oil treatment maybe a month or few months after . Or get shampoos that are good for strengthening hair .

Also in vest in a detangling brush or comb The Denmon brush is pretty good also Micheal Mericier is good as well I own both .
    Here's a youtube video on both

[youtube]sZLCSpqUTmo[/youtube]

Also try getting a roller set and putting rollers in your hair and having you can find a hair dresser to do this for you .
    Also get a hair bonnet to keep your hair well kept at night into the morning [​IMG]
    Good luck

12. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have the same problem. Even though I don't necessarily dress myself up as a female at the moment, but I've had trouble keeping my hair in line when it's not under a beanie.

You could try straightening it, for one. But other than that, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe wear a beanie for part of the day to help it stay down?

13. Seige

Thanka for all the info guys! Ill look through this all and try it when I get back home and settle in. All my hair is different though, its really dry at the ends, but my scalp is a little oily. Most my hair is wavey, but some parts are curly. The hairs at the front of my forehead are the worst, because they never "flow" withthe rest of my hair, they tend to stick straight out, and wont go to the side, even when wet.

14. suninthesky

Once it gets long enough you could braid it?

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My hair is pretty frizzy and curly when washed, I must straighten it every time.

I advise you to get a straightening iron.

16. Seige

I feel like itll never get super long though :frowning2: Ive been growing it for months with and its barely down below my ears. I get it cleaned up about once every 3 weeks at a hairdressers. It looks like Im gonna have to find a way to get a straightener. Does straight hair tend to be more "Manageable"?

17. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #17 jay777, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  18. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once your hair is longer, it will be more manageable and you might not need to do anything to it then. Be patient, though. The hair grows really slowly...
    Buy a good hair straightener (GHD are the best. Maybe a bit expensive, but it doesn't damage your hair as much as the other ones and the results are incredible. Plus, your hair will last straight a longer period of time). Buy shampoos and oils for straight hair and a heat protectant to prevent damage and dryness. If you live in a place with a high level of humidity use hairspray once straighten, the result will last longer. :icon_wink

#18 pennylane1988, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  19. Seige

I posted a picture of my new hair on my profile. Its being moderated so it should be up soon. Any ideas on what I could do to mix up thw style a little bit? My hairs wet in the picture, so its a lot less messy than it is when it dries.

20. wanderinggirl