1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I like fallout new vegas more than 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JessicaWolfess, Dec 29, 2014.

1. JessicaWolfess

Welp...I guess I'll get stuck into this thread. New vegas just seemed....bigger to me than fallout 3, like there were more areas, more quests, more characters. I also prefered the enemies in new vegas more than 3, namely because there were so many of them and you can never be too sure of whats going to pop up next, where as after about 20 hours or so in fallout 3 you generally get an idea of what every enemy is and how strong they are. I also prefered the graphics in new vegas, everything was more colourful and easier to see, fallout 3 was hit with the same problem gta 4 had and many early xbox 360 games had to me in that they were way to mirky and used grey way to much!. I also prefered most of the weapons in new vegas to 3 (Though I miss the combat shotgun...). Also fallout nv just plain works out of the box on newer os's, where as 3 requires vista or xp (And you will be hard pressed to fin ANYBODY still sporting a pc powerful enought to play fallout 3 running xp or vista) I know there are easy work arounds for windows 7, but when I buy a dvd I shouldn't be expected to screw around with my dvd player to get it working!. Anyways thats just what I thought of the 2..

2. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love new vegas and the way you can mod your weapons, and the different type of rounds you can use.

3. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you wholeheartly and would also like to add that the defining characteristic that distinguishes those two in my mind is the world, its characters and writing. :slight_smile:

If Obsidian can do one thing well, it is to write good characters and plots. Why wouldn't they, right? So many veterans. New Vegas has so many well written memorable characters, so many themes are touched upon, and the side quests (even the minor ones) are almost all interesting without being too unbelievable or pathetic or bombastic. Then there's also the political conflict, which is not black and white in the slightest and has moral dilemmas that take more than three seconds to resolve.

The main plot of NV alone has many branches and options and paths to take and only one of them is presented as slightly worse, but only due to blatant villainous traits of the faction in eyes our moral system, but there are shades of grey here as well. I personally finished the game for NCR which seemed to me as the best possible way, but another player can view Mr House as the most fitting solution for a prosperuos future for the Mojave and neither I, nor they would be inherently right or wrong.

3 didn't really impress me in neither of those aspects. I think it's a typical Bethesda game of the last few years - large as an ocean, shallow as a puddle. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I'm sorry this is too long and I hope I didn't offend anyone - I in fact quite like Bethesda's games - I've spent many hours playing Skyrim and still do sometimes to this day and Morrowind is one of my top 5 games, I just don't think this is an approach that suits the Fallout series :slight_smile:

#3 sheepishgirl, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. confused8812

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I absolutely loved new Vegas better than 3 and mainly because the side quests actually made a difference to the way the game worked. The whole gameplay for me was improved and I am excited to see what 4 brings to the table.

5. Eleanoir

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll just say that all in all, I prefer Fallout 3. New Vegas, however, was better made. The world was more comprehensive, the characters more memorable, and the mechanics a /lot/ more fleshed out.

My biggest quarrel was that the main story felt awfully contrived. It was a revenge story up until the point where you kill Benny, and then you were just sort of thrown into everything with no motivation.

Fallout 3, in my opinion, had a far better atmosphere. The world of New Vegas too often felt bleak to me, thanks in large part I'd assume to the large spans of empty desert. But that's just my opinion!!!

Thanks!

~Eleanor

6. Ashley2103

Fallout 3 fan here. I liked Fallout 3 way more because it felt like there was A LOT more city to explore and the wasteland felt more like a wasteland. Yes the buildings were repetitive and stuff but I don't mind, as the game is old. I also enjoyed the gloomy, depressing atmosphere a lot more.

What I did like about New Vegas were the factions and weapon mods. However, I didn't like any of the factions themselves.

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I absolutely loved New Vegas, way better than 3 IMO. I couldn't stop playing NV!

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could never get into the old west vibe of NV. Even after changing the UI to the classic green, everything felt dusty-orange and it got old really fast. 3 had a much better atmosphere for me, but NV was overall a better game. As it should be with the opportunity to build on everything 3 was.

9. Frisk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me New Vegas was a better game mechanically but Fallout 3 had a better story and vibe. I liked being in the vault at the beggining of F3 and then being exposed to the wasteland as most people started on F3 so you could really relate with the protagonist as you're experiancing it with them.

But yeah New Vegas was very good.