1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat Acceptance: Helpful or Hurtful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tabitha, Dec 29, 2014.

1. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fat, but I don't want to be coddled and accepted for my bad eating habits. However, I do also realize that many people get bullied over weight, and I believe fat shaming is a devastating and negative thing.

2. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

Well there's a fine line; yes, I believe that overweight people should feel comfortable to embrace the body that they have. You can be "overweight" by society's standards and still be perfectly healthy, but obesity to the point of being truly unhealthy is a problem that quite a few people struggle with, and that's when an adjustment should be made. I say as long as you're healthy, embrace the curves. In any case, losing weight is one's own personal choice, why do it if 1. you don't want to and 2. it's not necessary?

3. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Wow, people can be really rude about this.

Kind of regretting that I brought it up. Sheesh.

4. 741852963

Well they can, but the thing is not a single comment in this thread has been rude. Please do quote a response if you feel its particularly rude and explain why rather than posting like that because like I've said, nobody has been rude in the thread that I can see, at least not since you last posted. "Hinting" at it like that does come across as being quite confrontational so do bear that in mind for future posting.

You have asked for people's thoughts re fat acceptance and people have responded with their thoughts in a calm manner based on their opinion. I think you are being oversensitive on this one if you find any positions contrary to your own "rude" by default.

#24 741852963, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  5. White Knight

By going self experience... if you call yourself fat and unhappy about it, it is time to do somethings.

I always been a bit... hmmm according to my best friend large... not fat.. Until last year you couldn't see me with a stomach/tummy. Since I quit smoking I started to gain weight and it is really started to annoy me. Especially with knee and back problems I am having trouble with some everyday tasks like climbing stairs which I love and always do.

However I feel I am still not out of the woods of nictonie addiction... I know it is wrong but carvings become so strong I feel like scratching my eyes out so instead I eat something, chew gum or drink coffee. I am waiting for spring of 2015. I gave my body that allowance. Still trying to eat healthier snacks or drink somethings lighter than coffee. Ummm how this turned into my weight debate?

Okay back to topic. I don't care about other people's weight much, find chubby guys sexier... however I would never courage someone to get fat or stay fat if that will be uncomfortable for them.

So it is up to person if they want to stay/be fat or not. I would support them either way. Remember we only live once and don't let other's idea of perfection dictate your life.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heads will roll if I come across one more skinny and decidedly unfit boy, whose diet comprises primarily chips and fatty meats, who pretends he hates fatness for its detrimental effects on health.

7. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I think we should celebrate healthy practices without shunning or shaming people who are fat. If a person is engaging in healthy habits, celebrate that, wether the person is fat or not. But dont shame people for beign fat. And maybe, depending on the caseyou vould give constructive criticism to another person's health habits if the you can do it in a way that inspires without shaming the person. Otherwise you could make that person stress, with doesnt really help with being healthier.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2014 at 04:36 AM ----------

But always positive reinforcement is better

8. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have spent many years working in the healthcare industry. This is more about personal responsibility than it is about whether heavier people are good looking. I have seen some very attractive women who carry many extra pounds. But in the United States we have this post modern attitude that a person can do whatever they want and it is nobody else's business. But the problem is that IT IS other peoples business.

If you have a health insurance plan, the premiums for that plan, which YOU pay, are based on the average usage by ALL of the participants of the plan. So yeah, YOU are helping to pay for the insulin pump of the lady in the next cubicle who developed Type II diabetes after she tipped the 300lb mark. Money is taken out of YOUR retirement plan every time your co-worker goes out for a "smoke break".

2.8 million people die each year because of obesity. WHO | 10 facts on obesity

We say that about any other medical condition and we start putting colored ribbon magnets on our cars. Cancer cells are EVIL but fat cells are pretty? They both kill.

[​IMG]

When we talk about obesity, we need to be willing to separate the topic between looking good and living good. NOBODY looks good in a coffin.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2014 at 08:34 AM ----------

Yes the choices we make in life do affect other people. Obesity is a direct cause of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, respiratory and skeletal issues.

For those of you interested here is an article that demonstrates that obesity is not as pretty when you look at it from the inside out.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558180_6

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

What is the alternative to fat acceptance? At the worst, people shoving their noses in other people's business, discriminating against them, and ostracising them. Or, slightly better, people patronising overweight people, and treating them as stupid children who don't know they're overweight, as though losing weight is simple for everyone, and as though overweight people should prefer to have more years of life than living as they are - without any regard to the fact that people have different priorities and different things they want from life. I don't wish to do any of those things.

If someone is an adult I'll treat them as an adult. If they want help I'll help them, if they seem unhappy being overweight I'll help them, and yes, if there seems to be some kind of, I don't know, underlying depression beneath their weight, I'll help them. If they have some kind of mental disability limiting their understanding of what they're doing, I'll help them. However, if someone adheres to the fat acceptance movement I'm not going to sit around judging and instructing them about their so-called "choices". A person's body is their own domain, and their life is their own to live. Most people are intelligent, and will know the risks they face. If they find happiness with what nature has given them, who am I to judge?

ETA: I lost a lot of weight once. Contrary to what many people think happens, what happened is that for me, it was finding happiness and an increased sense of self-worth (and coming out) that enabled me to lose weight. It was not losing weight that enabled me to find happiness and have increased self-esteem: it was exactly the opposite. For me, at least, fat-shaming has completely the opposite effect of what those who propose it intend. But if I had chosen not to lose the weight - well, my body.

#29 ccdd, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  10. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't feel as though it is a matter of judging others. It is a matter of asking people to take responsibility for THEIR CHOICES. I can not choose to be gay or straight. I am gay, but I get to choose how to live my life based on that fact. I also know that my choices affect other people.

I do not care if someone decides that they are happy living with some extra weight. Everybody has a right to be happy. HOWEVER, they must be willing to pay for the consequences of those choices. As a whole, the United States healthcare is in the tank because people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. I'm sorry, I know I sound mean and jaded, but I have worked in the health profession to long to have a naïve look on this subject.

11. robclem21

There are so many really interesting points in this thread on both sides and when the wording surrounding a topic, particularly in the thread title, is very ambiguous, it can be very easy to get derailed and start discussing things that were never meant to be discussed. For example, how do you even define "fat"? Also, why does acceptance preclude promoting change? I think you can accept someone for who they are yet still suggest lifestyle changes that will benefit them in the long run. A lot of people in this thread are talking about bullying and shaming when those ideas were never really brought up by anyone. This thread is about acceptance.

Anyways, onwards to my opinions. I think you really really need to look at the underlying reasons why people gain this much weight. Obviously this thread was directed at acceptance of the morbidly obese and not at borderline fat or borderline thin or what the ideal weight of someone should be. People who reach that level of obesity rarely do so out of choice or realization, and I think if anyone who is at that level is given a psychological evaluation, you will find that not only are there underlying issues that led them to gain the weight in the first place, but that they are probably deep down not happy with their bodies. Most people use false happiness and jokes to hide this.

Shaming and bullying and being rude to these people is obviously not the answer as it is most common that a combination of depression, anxiety, and bullying is what led to the weight gain in the fist place. Genetics does play a small role in weight, but not when we get to this extreme of 500-600 lbs. At least not to a point where diet and exercise can't overcome it. On the other hand, telling someone that this is okay for their health is equally detrimental because there are mounds of evidence that point to the contrary.

So, to answer the question this thread originally posted, I think acceptance and reassurance that being this overweight is okay is probably doing more harm than good since it only enables an already dangerous downward trend in behaviour. However, while this thread is not really about how to handle the situation, I would likely bet it takes a combination of emotional, psychological and physical changes to actually be helpful and only selecting one of the those 3 will probably be useless in the long run.

Also, contrary to what others have said, I think this thread has been very respectful (compared to others I have seen), and try to focus on the point of the thread and the OPs intentions rather then changing topic to how the media forces ideal body image or underweight people (which is a totally different set of issues).

J

#31 robclem21, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  12. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

I guess where alot of my frustration stems from is comments like this, "she is clearly already suffering from edema." How do you know that? Just by looking at that picture? (I have attached another copy for reference.) Edema tends to start in the LOWER part of the legs (feet and calves). I see cellulite on the fronts of her legs but not edema. And how can you diagnose that anyway? Are you a doctor?

I believe that someone who gets to this size does tend to have underlying emotional issues, more than likely. But that does not give anyone the right to berate or degrade them. Everyone is worthy of respect.

Attached Files:

#32 Tabitha, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  13. Mzansi

Sadly although I do agree that being fat is not anyone elses business but an individuals,
    It is still proven to be detrimental to your health,
    And unhealthy in the long run.

This ties in with the fact that being overweight DOES lead to more medical expenses,
    So in essence you shouldn't be ashamed of being fat,
    But you should not be naive to it's impact on your body,
    And how you are percieved.

As much as you'd like to be accepted,
    It is other peoples rights to associate with who they want to,
    And to formulate their own opinions.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2014 at 08:01 AM ----------

She has my respect as she is a human being,
    But she does not have my respect in regards to her actions,
    I only respect her right to live life as she would like,
    Not because I respect her life decisions,
    Because I do not.

14. emmyee

emmyee Guest

This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

15. kem

kem

I don't like fat. It grosses me out, and I vew it as a flaw.

That said, I'd like to add that first of all, I don't think it should matter to others what I think about overweight and obesity, just as I have a near-total disregard to what might be thought of me. I wouldn't ever discriminate anyone who was fat, nor would I ever comment on anyone's weight.
    Second of all, we all have our flaws. I have lots of close friends who are overweight, my mom is – heck, even I used to be. I guess that's

//

As for "fat acceptance", whatever that is, I don't think that being fat itself should be stigmatised or celebrated. Healthy eating habits and exercise should be emphasised and people should be taught to look after and care for their bodies and well-being.
    (And by fat, in this context I mean anything from E1–3 to G1–3)

Morbid obesity, on the other hand, is another matter. Tremendous overweight is substance abuse and should be treated as such, with therapy and rehabilitation.

16. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

As some of you have already guessed, I know this girl. She is a friend of mine.

A few newer pictures...

She may look tired, unhappy, uncomfortable, etc.

But I don't think that's any reason to confront her in a hostile way.

Edit: She's trying out for The Biggest Loser for next season. Hopefully she gets picked! (Even though she will have a VERY hard time. If she does get selected, she will be the heaviest female contestant ever.) I've seen people smaller than her break down in tears and puke on that show. And if Jillian comes back for her season? Oh man... She's in trouble...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Hmm... Looks like the medscape link isn't working...

Do you have a better link?

18. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bummer.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558180

Maybe this will work.
    BTW your friend really does have an adorable face. My personal belief is that if she would get down to a healthier weight of say 200 lbs, she would be gorgeous.( my opinion only. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.) I wish her the best of luck with the program and the long road ahead. Let her know that she is loved and prayed for.

19. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I do see where you're coming from with this, and in the UK (where I'm from) it's even more pronounced, as we have the NHS, so obesity-related illnesses cost taxpayers' money. I don't disagree that it can, in this way, affect other people in a negative manner - I think it's more that I don't put as much emphasis on it, as I see life as full of a million choices which people must make, most of which will affect other people, some for the negative, and some for the positive. I don't like the singling out of obesity, which I think is partly (for some - not you) because it's so visible.

There are just so many things you could say people should take consequences for - not just weight. In so many cases people don't pay for the consequences of their actions, and offest the paying of consequences to other people, not just in terms of healthcare. The hogging of the earth's resources by the west, who (it seems to me at least) will not be the ones to pay the heaviest price of their choices and consumption. People wanting to buy cheap clothing - it is those in sweat factories paying the price of that. It's virtually impossible to walk a perfectly ethical tightrope and to not affect other people. To be ethical in all actions is to be dead, basically, and to me it seems that different people will prioritise different areas to focus on in which to act in the most ethical manner.

But mainly I think talking about 'choices' isn't always helpful as there are so many reasons behind obesity. Yes, there is the basic calories in vs calories out, but often there are also other issues eg. psychological at play, and one person may find it easier to remain slim than another person, for reasons beyond their control. I just tend to take a broader view of how far a person 'takes' or 'contributes'. One person my therefore be larger, but may contribute to society in a better way through what they do for a living (eg) than the other person. Or the overweight person may be struggling with so many other things. In some areas of life a person may take more, but in another they may give more. I don't disagree that it can affect other people (it costs the NHS a lot of money here for instance, taking money away from non-lifestyle-caused diseases), but I believe it's a balance between the communal good and personal/bodily autonomy.

20. 741852963

Yes, that would be a hypocritical position for them to take, however I've not seen it demonstrated in this thread.

Myself? I am definitely on the thinner end with a BMI of 20 but I am also an athlete with a clean diet needed to keep a digestive condition in tack so its difficult to gain weight.

I think as robclem21 pointed out, with morbid obesity you can and do have people unaware or in denial about their size and the consequences that can have for them. That doesn't mean they are "stupid" at all, but instead suggestive that they might have a mental state preventing them seeing things rationally - a bit like with BDD. I actually think most people are unaware of their bodies until things go wrong or they receive a wake up call. We might view ourselves as slightly overweight because we once were when in fact we have moved way beyond that stage. Fat is something that can slowly escalate without us necessarily realising the extent of it.

Likewise with things like smoking. Naturally smokers realise they are smokers because its something they do all the time, yet you get many who have no idea just how many cigarettes they actually smoke until they decide to quit or sit down, start tracking their behaviour and adding them up. It reminds me of a programme we have here called Secret Eaters, where those with harmful eating disorders are often alarmingly unaware of the extent of the problem until they are visibly shown what they are consuming on one table. The point is people often underestimate bad habits and behaviours - not on purpose but its something the brain seems to like to do.

One problem with that though, that has been mentioned in the thread is the affect on others too. One thing to realise is most obese people will be heterosexual, and most heterosexual people will have children. Now statistics very clearly demonstrate that obese parents will more often than not have obese children as a result (50% of kids with a single obese parent will end up obese, and 80% with two obese parents will).

Its common sense, if a child is a. sharing the same type of foods with the parent or provided similar portions (as is very common in most family households) or b. witnesses the parent overeating or eating unhealthy foods and internally "normalizes" this habit, they will likely end up obese themselves. And thats ignoring the new research suggesting that poor diets during pregnancy might influence a baby's brain and potentially set them up for food cravings in later life. I really don't want to sound like I'm pointing the blame or making people feel guilty because I would never want that, but it is important to accept in these cases that the parent's actions (be it voluntary or not) can turn their children obese so it is not necessarily as simple as "their body, their choice".

Likewise I wasn't trying to come at this from an aesthetic or "idealist" point of view. There is definitely a lot of natural variation in healthy body sizes and shapes and that is fine (as discredited as the somatotypes are in the scientific community I do definitely think people tend to fall around those three types). Likewise people can have differing metabolic requirements - some people will naturally have low body fat whereas some will carry more fat with the same diet. I think you'd probably have people who would be unable to reach 500pounds if they tried, and similarly people unable to reach under 100pounds if they tried.

But yes, on a whole, with the exception of certain conditions like elephantiasis, super-obesity will be the result of unhealthy habits (be it caused by choice or by a psychological condition) and will not be naturally manifesting per se.

No, it is definitely not.

All the best to your friend, and fingers crossed on her application. I do have great respect for those on that show and those committing to such a beneficial change. It is not a walk in the park or an easy thing to do, and particularly with the exercise its important to realise how much harder that is made initially due to the added weight. It does take a hell of a lot of strength so again, I have a hell of a lot of respect for anyone on that journey; very inspirational.