1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans, closeted, and in a relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IvorySteel, Dec 29, 2014.

1. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    About four months ago, I became officially "in a relationship" with my girlfriend. Simply put, I love her. She is beautiful and kind and completely unique and amazing and she loves me. But she doesn't know the real me. A few weeks ago, I realised that I was transgender. I finally understand things that have been confusing me since I was a child, things I'd repressed or rationalised, and how they all point towards my desire to be seen as a girl.

None of this changes how I feel about her. I am a gay girl after all. The problem is, she isn't. She loves the man she thinks I am. And I'm scared that she wouldn't love me as a woman, let alone be physically attracted to me. We were very gradual in moving into a physical relationship, due to her own nervousness/inexperience. Now we're just reaching a point where we're fully comfortable with each other sexually, and I fear I will ruin that by changing my presentation and to some extent my body (I'll be blunt and say that I plan to keep my penis - as long as I have the boobs and curves of a woman, I don't really give a shit what's between my legs).

I don't think I can keep this part of me secret from her much longer. Coming out to myself has heightened my dysphoria, and I feel conflicted if she calls me her boyfriend, or compliments me in a masculine way (e.g. "you look handsome"). But I couldn't imagine losing her. If she couldn't cope with my transition and broke up with me, I'd question whether it was worth it. My dysphoria is not intolerable (hell, I lived with it for 22 years and didn't even realise I was trans), it doesn't seem worth losing her on top of everything else for this.

The ironic thing is, I probably would never have realised if I wasn't with her. After a series of terrible, self-destructive romantic decisions, this is the first genuinely healthy, loving relationship I've had. It's made me calmer and more comfortable with myself. It's because of her that I have had the confidence to experiment with my presentation in private, and thus discovered that I wanted to present like that all the time.

I'll cut to the chase since I'm just gonna ramble on now. I just wanted to ask a few questions.
    • Has anyone else out there been in a similar situation?
    • How did your partner feel about you becoming another gender?
    • If I told her, what would be the best way? How do I show her that I'm exactly the same person with the same personality, but new clothes, name, and eventually bodily changes?
    • How will this affect our sex lives?
    • How can I help her deal with the idea of being a heterosexual cis woman, potentially dating a lesbian trans woman? What does that mean for her identity?
    • Just... help??!?

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    It might be best to be honest sooner rather than later.

Yes, you might lose her, and yes that will hurt a ton. But.. probably only more if you wait, and start to resent her, or tell yourself being you doesn't matter so long as you have her (and then realise no, being you does matter).

If she is the person who made you feel safe enough to come out to yourself, that is very important and you both deserve to be in each others lives. Unfortunately though, no matter how important she is, or you are to her, her sexuality won't change. So, if she is completely straight.. the best result might be tell her now, while you guys can still remain friends and she can be there for you through all this. You ask what your identity means for her identity, consider what her identity might means for yours too.

Hopefully you'll luck out and she will find she is still attracted to you, or that she's bi. I would caution against 'well, i can be attracted to you if you only transition to a point I define', because your transition is about you not her.