1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you react when you discovered gay people exist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sepulse, Dec 29, 2014.

1. tulman

I don't remember having an epiphany moment when a light bulb went on and I thought,
    "WOW" people do that!" Or it was so long ago I don't remember it.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't remember the specific instance when I first learned about homosexuality, but I do remember almost everything I ever saw and read about it afterwards, including the movie Making Love, mentioned above.

So, if anything, it would have been fascination. What is striking to me now is just how much I remember encountering these references to homosexuality in my youth, they were memorable, of course, for a reason which took me long enough to figure out...

3. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was pretty neutral when i saw 2 people of the same gender being close with each other for the first time while watching a show. I was around 12 at the time and i think i was mostly just slightly weirded out but other then that i gradually became more accustomed to it. Only really founded out that people who likes the same gender are real at around 14 years old.

4. antibinary

"What's that"
    *explanation*
    "Oh"

5. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  6. choirsmash

I don't ever remember "discovering" that gay people exist. I do remember the first time I ever saw/met someone who was gay, though. I was about 9 or 10 and we just happened to be in an amusement park on pride day or something. I just remember seeing this family while I was in line for a roller coaster and one of the women had a shirt on that said "Let's get one thing straight, I'm not" and I found it to be really funny and then their son had a shirt that said "I love my two moms" but as a 9/10 year old, I didn't really care. I noticed and then went back to being excited for the roller coaster..

7. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Haha I really can't remember, I'm surpsied at people who can.

8. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember that I found out because one of my mom's friends is gay. I had no idea what that meant, and when my parents told me that she liked girls instead of boys, I was like "Oh ok. Cool."

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've known about them for a while because I have a lesbian aunt who lives in France. I remember recognizing that it was "different" as a young kid, especially when my parents talked about her "partner", but I didn't think anything was wrong with it. So I got pretty used to it.

10. NinjaInTraining

I first heard the word 'gay' being thrown around as an insult long before I knew what it meant. I can't remember when I did learn what it means, however I do remember being really confused as to why everyone used it as an insult.

11. Sek

Sek

I don't remember how/when I discovered it. However I know that once I heard the term and it was explained to me, it seemed to match how I felt even though it was described to me in a very negative way.

12. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Wait... You mean to say that Aunty's friend is actually her girlfriend? !?"
    "Yes"
    "Why did no-one tell me? I've been wondering why they kiss eachother if they're just friends for weeks!!!"

13. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, I was extremely sheltered so I didn't know about gay people until I was like 11 I think. I thought they were weirdos, although unlike my parents (homophobe Christians) I never really believed it was a choice.

14. Jolly Roger

I was mainly indifferent, although I do admit I was a little confused.

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Seriously, you actually felt the need to create a whole extra word for it? I thought people were just people..."

16. ANewDawn

I don't remember when I learned about gay people, probably was a little weirded out. But I remember my female friends telling me they though lesbians were grosser than gay men but I thought two women together made a lot of sense. I think I sorta forgot that women could be gay for a while cuz I ddnt really see them on tv at all. Then I started watching YouTube and was like "ohhh...that's pretty normal actually."

17. Polemarch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought "okay..." I didn't think much about it when I discovered gay people existed. I thought it was okay. I live in San Francisco, so any kind of PDA is normal whether it is between opposite sex or same gender. Then again I've never really care much about what other do with their personal life as long as it don't harm me or my loved ones.

It's funny when I meet people who are not from SF, and when they see two gay people kissing, they are " OH MY GOD! Do you see that?" I always ask them what's the big deal. It's not like they are kissing you. Why does it matter what they are doing. I always find it amusing how some people care so much about what others are doing when it doesn't concern them at all.

18. BookWriter1994

I always thought that men can only be gay because sometimes on tv and movies I would only see guys but then after Glee and The L Word I realized that women can be gay too so I was shock but still didnt questioned myself until I was 20/21

19. markosss

I can clearly remember the moment I learned what gay means! I felt so happy because I learned that there are other people like me out there!

20. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't remember when I noticed, but it wasn't a big deal to me, I just accepted it.