1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Transgender News Articles

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Manta, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Manta

I'm looking for recent transgender new articles to show my sister which would facilitate conversation. My family is very critical of new sources, so I've been looking for an article (not in opinion section) from a reliable paper to show her. I've had some trouble finding the sort of thing I'm looking for and I don't really want to show her one on murder or rape. Any suggestions?

2. Minnie

While I can't think of any articles off the top of my head, a good idea for documents to give to your family would be medical leaflets or papers on transgender issues. The National Health Service in the UK will probably have some good ones:
    Transgender health and wellbeing - Live Well - NHS Choices

3. Manta

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not sure I'm ready to give her something that forward (she's very clever) yet, but rather something to test the water with a bit more.

I had her watch a TED Talk, but her only comments were "he made some good points" and "I really don't like how he told stories. It's really hard to follow what he's saying when he jumps around like that" which she said with a very carefully blank face. My dad's transphobic, and I'm not really sure where my sister stands.

4. Minnie

Why not show her some of the threads here on EC? (Unless it's a privacy and safety violation). If it's okay to do so then it could give her an idea of what trans people go through, "from the horse's mouth" as the saying goes.

5. Manta

I'll see if I can't find any good threads then (and how to log myself out). Thanks again!

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  7. Manta

Thank you Jay777! That's very helpful, and I think I might have her read it. I could relate to almost all of what Sebastian wrote in that article, so it would make a good fit. I'll post later about what I ended up doing/how it went.

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*) Wish you luck :slight_smile:

9. I am Kakashi

Laverne Cox was in Time recently. If that mag ain't legit, I don't know what is! I think bringin up celeb transpeople would be a good way to bring it up without being super obvious, since eeeeeverybody is talking about it anyway. :slight_smile:

Laverne Cox Interview: Orange Is the New Black Star On Being Trans

And/or, bringing up or even suggesting watching a show with a trans character in it?

10. Manta

Thank you for the article! We have netflix, so that could work. I haven't seen Orange is the New Black, so I'll look it up.

I tried approaching her with the Autostraddle article when she was alone and in a good mood, but she blew me off, so I'm waiting for her to be alone and in a good mood again (kinda a rare occurrence).