1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My homophobic mother

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ardard, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ardard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently came out to my mother 2 days ago. When i came out she told me that she will always love me but that i can be fixed/ that i am just going through a phase. I tried to tell her that i was not and that she is wrong but everything i send her to help prove my point she just says is wrong because she doesn't agree with it. Yesterday i checked my email and she sent me this Overcoming homosexuality - Conservapedia . I don't know what to do anymore i just can't take it. I was thinking of just telling her I've become straight and then just never tell her again til i move out? Any Advice? :bang:

2. WyldStyle

I say don't let your coming out ruin your relationship with your mother. But at the same time don't let her just win like that.

Don't let your sexual orientation become the center of your life if it doesn't need to be, as it would only create tension between you. There's more to your life than just what gender you like. Show your mother that you're still the same, normal person despite your preference.

P.S, I love you signature, I need to get back to watching P&R again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

First, ardard, let me offer my warmest CONGRATULATIONS for coming out to your mother!!!! Let's not lose site of that important fact. And second, and related to my first point, your being out in no way depends on your mother or anyone else accepting that fact. and it is a fact! we can't control what other people think, and if that means that they choose to live in ignorance, well that is their choice. but for you, there is no reason that you should go back in the closet, or to lie and say your straight. don't waste a lot of time or energy on fighting this with her. but do just continue on with your life as a gay person who is out of the closet. and when you introduce her to your date for the weekend movie, or your steady, or your prom date, or whatever other wonderful people are in your life, she will probably notice that this other person is the same gender as you are, which should be a ti***f. If she chooses to stay in denial and tell herself that it's a phase, well what can you do? but honestly, I think that you should look at it this way: Her denial is just a phase!!! eventually, she will get past it, and accept reality. (&&&)

4. I am Kakashi

Tell her that you disagree on the subject, and regardless of how she thinks, you do not plan on changing any time soon. Then go on about your life. Acceptance takes time, so I'd just let it go for now and not bring it up unless it is relevant. (Which, who you date/ have sex with isn't her business).

5. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Dont lie about your sexuality, just keep on with life, dont try to argue with her of convince her, just do your best at life, and let her overcome her denial... Only talk about your orientation if she is the one to start the topic, remain calm and the rational one in the conversation, but be firm, dont deny your orientation, dont fight with her, just let her know the truth about you everytime she asks. Be like a wall with your identity, but without being hostile.

She is a person that lvoes you that happens to have an annoying ideology. Be merciful, that might gradually change her for better in the long run.
    Be patient.