1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No fashion sense at all

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mischief, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I seriously have absolutely no idea how to present male and still look good in my clothes. I have a few button-ups shirts, but I want to know more of a variety than just those kinds of shirts. Also for bottoms, is it acceptable to wear skinny jeans? ._.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think unless you are wearing a packer, wearing bottoms that are tight on the crotch is not a good idea. I had to miss out on a nice pair of tight leather pants because of this.

3. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Yah, thanks. I have absolutely no idea what I'd use to pack either, ugh.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say it's important not to forget accessories like belts, hats, watches are awesome... you can get a nice canvas bag. Speaking about clothes, I think I'd be a sport coat type of guy. What's your style? You can search for inspiration on sites that sell clothes, for example here Men's Clothing

5. wanderinggirl

Hoodies, sweaters, vests, blazers, denim jackets...

Skinny jeans are totally acceptable. I love skinny jeans. If you're wearing dark jeans people might not notice the lack of bulge; or you can pack with socks.

I also second Paris: belts, hats, watches, cuffs, scarves, etc. can still look masculine but punch up plain clothing. I'd check out Pinterest for men's clothing ideas.

6. Ryu

Ryu

I have no fashion sense... I side I wear some short sleeved shirt and combat trousers, when I go out to a place in my village I'll put on a jumper and when I go browsing (I don 't normally buy much) I'll swap my combats for my Levi 501's.

7. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thanks so much guys, organising to go clothes shopping with one of my mates soon. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Raatox

Have you seen this? The FTM's Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a (Hot) Dude
    It's one of the most awesome page ever written, in my opinion :slight_smile:

Otherwise I'd say, go for what you like. If you like skinny jeans: wear skinny jeans. When I started shopping in the mens section I suddenly found tons of Oh-my-god-I-want-this clothes, It might not be the same for you, but don't worry too much about passing, when you feel handsome, you'll be handsome. Think about which colours you like, and which styles you like. Like many other said, search the internet.
    And don't be afraid to try new stuff, you might like it or you might not :slight_smile:
    And after all, it's all about you beeing you :slight_smile:

9. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Very true Raatox! I'll check out the guide now. Thanks!

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Accessories are really great. I like bracelets and watches, and simple, masculine rings. Look at how guys wear their accessories to get ideas, and stay away from anything delicate. I love hats, but I detest baseball caps. Sunglasses are primarily practical, but also make for a great accessory during sunnier months if you pick an aesthetic pair.

Mens skinny jeans aren't quite as skinny as womens, and are totally ok to wear. I only wear jeans that are slim fit or skinnier, and 90% of the time, I wear black skinny jeans. I'm just not comfortable in baggier pants, and I think they make my hips look bigger. I prefer skinny jeans. If you think you need to pack to pass in skinny jeans, you can make a simple packer with a sock. There's info all over the internet about that. If you want to invest, I personally would point out the masho packer. I don't own it, but that's the one I plan on buying if I decide to invest in one. It's relatively inexpensive, I've found it for $15. But mostly I just like that it has more realistic balls than other packers I've looked at. If you do choose to pack, it's easier to do it in boxer briefs or tighter underwear.

Don't neglect the importance of the two most neglected elements of clothing - coats and shoes! Shoes make a bigger impact on an outfit than you think they do. Choose jackets and coats that suit your own tastes, and work well with what you're wearing.

Lastly, observe. Look at pictures. Watch how other people wear things. Keep a folder of pictures of styles you like for future shopping reference. When you shop, consider buying things together that you'll wear together, or look specifically for pieces you want to incorporate into your wardrobe, like a pea coat, or boots, or a watch, or whatever. And wear what makes you happy. If you don't particularly like a style, don't shell out money for it.

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can use a rolled up pair of socks.

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2014 at 07:14 PM ----------

It really depends on where your style falls. If you're casual:
    Sports jerseys, combat boots, sports shoes, band t-shirts, jeans/chinos, sweaters, etc

If you're more formal: ties, blazers, chinos or dress pants, peacoat, trench coat, sweaters, etc.

I'm semi-formal when it comes to western clothing. I wear button down long sleeves, and traditional clothing/tunics. For pants, I wear mostly chinos. I wear slim-fit. For footwear, I wear a lot of sports shoes.

12. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thanks Clockworkfox and PlantSoul! I'll take a look at that packer now Clockwork - just a matter of buying it is the problem. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. birdking

All of the above is great advice, but the most important thing when it comes to clothing is picking things you like. That seems like a no-brainer, but too many times I have found myself looking for clothes based on what they will hide. I mean, yeah, that's important too, but hear me out.

Buy stuff you think looks good, because I can guarantee that wearing it will make you feel good about yourself, and that works wonders for your confidence (which also helps you pass, so it's a win-win!)

14. I am Kakashi

15. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I love that guide so much.

I am Kakashi - completely agree, such dull style nowadays.

Birdking - I was shopping with my dad today and he said the exact same thing. Ended up buying some really cool shirts, hopefully when I get my binder I'll have better luck not worrying about what it hides.

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    is there one of these guides for mtf?

17. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know, but if there isn't, someone with personal experience should write one!

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2014 at 06:52 PM ----------

Definitely! Solid advice.

I never spend money on anything I don't like - it's not worth it, because I wouldn't wear it. I encourage you to experiment with different looks, but don't commit to buying anything you don't actually like.

18. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im so glad I read this thread very helpful.

19. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
  20. birdking

I haven't seen one! Someone should definitely write one.