1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else resent their parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Emily1, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Anyone else resent their parents for not being proud of you for coming out?

My mom told me that she was upset with the way I came out because I announced it to a huge group of friends on a trip. Apparently people had told their parents and the news was spreading quickly in my city. Evidently I didn't mind because if I did, then, well, I wouldn't have come out… a reaction like that was expected. It made me feel like my mom was embarrassed or disappointed. I didn't want it to be a secret, so why would she?

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Because she wants to protect you and to her, knowing that there is now a huge group of potential problematic people who might hurt you, is something that she obviously can't deal with right there on the spot. I think that when doing something like this, you should at least give her a heads up.

3. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ya, I get that.. I just can't help but feel that if she was so concerned about me she wouldn't say, and I quote, I am mad at the way you decided to do it. I really didn't think it would come out, it was totally unplanned. I was scared that if i didn't say it then that I never would. I felt super courageous for coming out on impulse and my mom couldn't even say she was proud of me. I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill but I just need to say what I feel. Thanks for your reply shinji!

4. why yes, I do

and I'm sorry they don't like your choices, its not their life its yours. you should be able to come out however you are comfortable with without their disapproval :wink:

5. bornthiswaybby

I have resentment to the point where I uncontrollably (I genuinely don't want to be like this) am rude to them over anything now. They still don't accept me and they've hurt me tremendously so there is definitely resentment.

6. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I definitely can relate bornthiswaybby… it sucks because I know they don't intend to hurt me and I try to disregard any ignorant comments but it's hard not to be deeply affected when they are your parents. I also am always rude from the built up resentment, I'm sorry to hear that your parents aren't accepting of you. I know what it's like to be deeply hurt by your parents. They're supposed to be the ones I can depend on so it leaves me with a sinking feeling to know that that's not always the case.