Suggestions for getting a good night's sleep?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DawnM, Dec 20, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keeping your room dark, slightly cool and clutter free is often recommended. Sleep experts also suggest removing televisions, mobile phones and pc's/laptops from the bedroom.. your bedroom should be reserved for sleep and sex. :slight_smile:

Take a look at this advice from the UK Sleep Council website (yes, such an organisation really does exist):
    Your bedroom | The Sleep Council

2. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I didn't realize I'd gotten so many replies the last couple of days! :slight_smile:

I've heard that about keeping your feet warm, and I know all about how to get myself to sleep :wink: Masturbation always makes me tired for some reason. It's just staying asleep that's the problem!

I'm sorry you've got to deal with that (*hug*) I will warn you to be careful doing that. Taking cold medication when you don't need it can be risky. But I know how difficult it is to not get a full night's sleep. I can't imagine anxiety attacks on top of that.

I'll have to read through that. Especially since they have a council and all :slight_smile: I can't sleep at all if my room isn't cold. I had a bedroom in the basement for 11 years, and that gets you pretty accustom to being colder than most people.

I could hug you. I wish I could. You're the best. I'm awful about having regular, balanced meals as it is, but last night I had some chicken before bed instead of my sugared cardboard :lol: I haven't slept that well in weeks! :thumbsup:

3. Mrcake

I didn't read any other posts but yours, but I have some good advice for you: 1. Sleep is key for health, so you need at least 7 hours a night. 2. Don't workout 3 hours before you sleep. 3. Stop drinking liquids 3 hours before bedtime. This will make it so you don't have to wake up to go to the bathroom at night. 4. Try and clear your mind of worries and other thoughts about what you are doing the next day. 5. Try using natural sleeping aids. Some examples of these that work are melatonin (5mg). You can buy melatonin over the counter, and it works. Melatonin helps you stay asleep and keeps you rested...it works really well for me (it's also non habit forming). 6. Some people say that masturbating before bedtime works (releases some chemicals that help you relax).

4. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*) I hope this solution will solve your problem permanently. :slight_smile:

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

another comment on the area of electronics: turn off everything at least a half hour before going to bed. no tv, no computer, no cell phone, no smart phone, etc. all those things get the mind racing. also take a good look at the stressors in your life. taking pills to sleep is not a long term strategy. you said that the craziness in the house has calmed down, but see if is there still some baggage from all that insanity, that you need to deal with. and you really do need to find a doctor you can trust, even if they are in another town. otherwise, you're just going to burn out.

6. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Melatonin always seems to give me a wired hyper feeling if you don't fall alseep with it immediately.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

yeah, I tried it once and it made my depression worse. it doesn't work for everyone.