1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drinking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bicomplicated, Dec 20, 2014.

1. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *teatotaller*

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of funny because when I was younger I was quite the barfly (I suspect I still am by the standards of this group) and yet I've never been much of a drinker. I was raised Mormon and it just really wasn't part of the culture I grew up in. I actually was a regular at gay bars for almost a year before I even started drinking. I used to order Coke. Now I do drink but pretty lightly--I'm sort of an occasional glass of wine with dinner kind of guy. I drink cocktails when I go out to bars or clubs now, but I'm quite the drink nurser. Let's just say no ice goes unmelted--generally one drink, two if we're there for more than a couple hours. I did get drunk once--I threw up, there was pecan pie involved, it was unpleasant.

3. Ned B

I didn't have a single drink before I was 22. I wasn't really interested in it and my undergraduate university didn't really have a party scene (it was a commuter school out in the suburbs). In grad school I also only drank lightly (2-3 drinks) and only when out with classmates or at parties. For the last year+ though I've been been hanging out with a friend that when we go out, usually involves me getting drunk, but even then that only happens about once every other month. I've only had one bad hangover and two vomiting occasions that happened this summer, which have shown me where my drinking limits are and I'm sticking to them.

As far as drunk munchies, I feel like I eat less when I'm drinking. I only end up eating because by the time we finish, it's 2 or 3am and it's been 7 hours since my last meal.

4. method

I didn't touch alcohol until I was 23, because the religion my family belonged to abstained completely from it.

From the few times I've had the experience to drink (to varying levels of drunkenness - though never to the point of throwing up or blacking out), I've concluded that I really don't need alcohol to enjoy myself. I'd rather not spend the money on it too. It's not necessarily the magnitude of the cost, but more the fact that I have to pay any amount of money for something that gives me nothing back.

...except when you get to the complicated fact of life, that, considering that alcohol as an effective social lubricant, and giving into it, opens up a world of opportunities for social interaction.

This I resent because the social pressure to drink makes me do something I'd rather not do.

5. LiquidSwords

Posting hungover in bed still..

I guess I tend to go out and get proper drunk maybe once a week average. I don't know how you can cope with it three days a week, I haven't done that regularly since I was about 18. Going to work hungover is impossible

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I make little marks on my arm for each drink, drink water and eat. The idea of getting completely drunk and ending up with a hangover is not appealing to me. At 16, I should be doing it as rarely as possible, so I do try to do it only once every so often and not stupidly when I do.

I think I'm a fairly responsible drunk. If anything, being drunk encourages me to take responsibility for things.

7. LiquidSwords

Incorrect

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clearly I should take this adult's advice. :grin:

9. LiquidSwords

It's good advice! Well, I know I used to enjoy getting drunk at 16, and really it is much more fun and less pain the next day when you're young than when you get to be an old man like me so you have to make the most of it!

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Counting the days for new year's eve...
    Just look at my name, man, look at my name :grin:
    Naw, it's not that bad now : I need to keep a job, and I agree with Liquid about hangovers and getting older.
    Screwdriver, Guiness, any sparkling wine... Or Glühwein. Sake if I got the chance... It also depends on the company. You need to find the balance between your own personal safety and having fun, and for that you must know your limits, have water, avoid salty stuff,etc.

I only drink when I really feel like it, to the point of sticking to water in the middle of a drunken crowd. I never felt peer pressure about alcohol, not even as I was younger. I've also known alcoholics of all sorts, and this might have made me extra careful if I feel like drinking when depressed or to cope with a bad day.

I end up also eating junk food afterwards, but as I get older this is becoming rare. I just sleep ten hours and then drink 3 liters of water and/or coffee until the poison is out of my system.
    ... I'm so looking forward to new years eve... the only time in the year when I drink all I want.... And do all I want in general while drinking :wink:

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah. The only time I have actually went to work hungover was after St. Patty's Day. It was horrible. I try to limit myself or sober up before bed if it's a work day the next morning. Hung over or not, though, I usually feel like crud the next morning for about an hour. Energy drink is a must. The weekend though or days of for holidays, etc, I don't mind to get wasted drunk. As long as I don't black out! lol

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It must be a sign of old age, whenever I drink, I inevitably fall asleep afterwards...pathetic :dry:

13. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get where you are coming from here. You shouldn't be made to feel bad or feel like you need to drink if you aren't really into it. Don't worry about preasure. Peer preasure is dumb.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2014 at 12:15 PM ----------

Vodkabaret: that is awesome! lol
    Greatwale: awww. lol. I feel ya with the sign of getting old. I've got lots of those too. Too bad I can't get my 20's back... lol

14. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Big light weight over here. I just remember getting back from a frat party, having had four cups of jungle juice and a shot, finding a big bag of french fries and ketchup suddenly in my hands. I know I didn't pay for them, but that concern did not really cross my mind at the time. They were soooooo good.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excessive drinking seriously depresses my mood and there is no way of me knowing when the tipping point will occur. I'd rather not be an emotional wreck, so it's better if I stick to one or two and then go onto soft drinks.

16. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah. Well it sounds like you are being smart about your drinking. :slight_smile:

17. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh boy am one for greasy foods after several beers down me its either chip shop or kebab shop my breath smells bad the morning after am not a one for being sick after .

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2014 at 09:01 PM ----------

Patrickuk been there several times it brings out the angry person in me dont trust myself when I get like that

18. Mickz

Some friends got me drunk on moonshine slushies at an amusement park this year and even though I can't really remember anything, the stories they told me were pretty much just "You kept smiling like a moron." "We were spinning on a massive ride and you're like 'are we moving yet?'" "I wish we had a leash for you, you kept disappearing." "You fell like a million times, how were you not in pain that morning?" Etc. while all the teens around here are big on the drinking and partying scene, I really don't like alcohol. I got drunk for the first time this year and hated the fact that it caused me to black out since I try to avoid blackouts at all cost. I don't plan on drinking again anytime soon...

19. the haunted

Oh my Gosh, I love drinking haha. My favorite thing to drink is wine even though it leaves me with the absolute worst headache.

Lately I've been loving this wine called Freakshow. I didn't know how expensive it was and drank almost all of my aunt's Freakshow at Thanksgiving. Oops lol.
    [​IMG]

20. SomeLeviathan

I don't drink very often but when I do I tend to drink a lot.

I have a high tolerance to alcohol due to cross tolerance with anxiety meds I take, so just having a drink or a couple drinks (liquor) doesn't even get me buzzed. I also have to be careful because alcohol interacts with a couple meds I take, so I rarely drink.

I do enjoy a good bottle of rum or gin on occasion though