1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you gift wrap?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Rainbows~Exist

I still gift wrap even though I'm terrible at it.

2. shinji

shinji Guest

I am quite self conscious about keeping the environment safe and saving money!

...as if. Nah, it's just that I don't have anyone in my life, to wrap gifts for. So naturally I don't like doing it since it reminds me of said fact. But I can sort of see the appeal.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like gift wrapping and I like to think that I am decent at it. I like being creative with it too, when I have the time. :slight_smile:

The other evening I spent a bit of time wrapping a gift for one of my co-workers for a gift exchange - only to end up redoing it and trying out another idea that I had.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I have to. I don't mind it that much. I can do the basics and make it look ok. I don't have all the bells and whistles on hand.

My mom did, though. For her, gift wrapping something was akin to passing an act of Congress. I used to tell her, "They're just going to rip the paper off of it and get to the gift." She would tell me that they would keep the paper for future use if they liked its appearance. She used to do just that, and not because she was cheap, but because she used to stockpile things which were cute to her. Women have come into places I've lived and told me that I needed to liven them up (fill them with stuff) more ... hmmm, I don't think so.

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love wrapping presents. I love wrapping presents more than opening them! And I'll wrap any-shaped things (this year I did a rectangular pyramid \___/ <- like that).

My dad's wife is a jealous person and she always wrapped gifts "just so" until after she met me:badgrin: Now she does gift baskets.

6. Jadzia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like wrapping gifts. If I have a choice between wrapping a present and putting it in a bag, I'll choose to wrap it. It's also much more fun to rip the paper off a present than to take it out of a bag. Unfortunately, the people who give me presents seem to prefer putting things in bags, but they are giving me presents so I can't complain :slight_smile:

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's more fun than just putting it in a bag! :slight_smile:

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my grandmothers was into saving gift wrap to reuse. I think she did the same with aluminum foil in the kitchen. Some might call her cheap. Although I wonder if part of it wasn't just having lived through the Depression. Plus there were some mighty lean years while her kids were growing up.

One year, as a joke, at least one of Grandma's kids gathered up all the used wrapping paper he could find, and saved it for the next year, when it became a Christmas gift to Grandma. She apparently took one look, and said, "Very funny." But it was, I heard, a gift that she did use...

9. gaynerd64

I have the professionals at Amazon wrap my gifts for me

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do what my mom used to do when she gave me or my sister a big or odd shaped gift. She would wrap a box with something like a big book or a rock (just to give the package weight) and a note that said something like "go look in the hall closet". Open the closet and there is the gift. Just remember to put it in the closest the night before!

11. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do if it comes in a box you can easily wrap I give up if its awkward I will just put it in a nice bag

12. Gallatin

I wrap more than I use to, though I haven't really gotten any better at it.

13. toastersayswhat

Depends who the gift is going to and what it is.

14. Hatsune Miku

it looks like trash when i'm done but I wrap everything

also I only use Star Wars paper

15. Manta

We put more thought and consideration into the wrapping than the presents. Sometimes more money to.

My uncles family and mine have a gift wrapping competition every year and out grandparents are the judges. We've done snow men, christmas trees out of plywood and chicken wire, the north pole, giant ginger-bread houses, reconstructed life-size fire places, and elf conveyer belt, santa's sleigh (out of plywood), and this year we've made the Polar Express. Its been going on for.... 8? years, maybe more. We also like to make the presents hard to get at. If you can get to your present in less than three minutes something is wrong with how it was wrapped.

If anyone knows how to make a life-sized reindeer with a hollow head/stomach capable of carrying decent weight, please let me know.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes but I'm HORRIBLE at it

17. Rynthae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do. :slight_smile: I will admit if I am feeling lazy I will use a gift bag with tissue bouquets (to hide the gifts under) and a bow, but most of the time I wrap by hand, whether it is for a holiday or someone's birthday. I try to make each one look as nice as I can, too, because I honestly think that handing someone a pretty mystery package is a lot more exciting than just handing them their gift. Those few seconds of wondering what it could be just seem to build up tension and make it even more wonderful and special when their gift is revealed. It might sound silly, but I even wrap the toys and treats that I get for my dogs this time of year (yes, yes, they are spoiled rotten...) and I kid you not, they will stare up at the presents every day until they can open them, and they get so excited and love to unwrap them. They get so excited with unwrapping stuff that they will try to unwrap everyone else's presents and anything else they can find, too!

I just remember when I was a kid... the amazement to see wrapped, beautiful gifts and wonder and puzzle over what they could be, the suspense palpable, and how exciting it was to open them up and reveal the mysterious gift inside. :slight_smile:

18. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I try to but I always make a complete mess of it.

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got my mum to wrap them up - except her present, of course, which I wrapped myself. Turned out alright actually.