1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering Pizza

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is a bundle of questions, all under one subject.

Do you order pizza frequently? If so, what are your favorite/preferred/tolerated toppings?

For a bonus question: how do you treat your pizza delivery man/woman? Do you tip them well?

I don't order pizza too much. Maybe once or twice a month, at most. I, usually, go and pick it up, since the pizza places are close-enough to where I frequent. Tallying that, I probably only get a pizza 3 or 4 times a month.

My favorite toppings are pepperoni, bacon, and ham. I prefer those three, all together or one or the other, too. I can tolerate sausage, black olives, and green peppers.

Now, how do I treat my pizza delivery person? I always ask them to step inside, if it is dark, cold, or raining outside. I have a decently roofed porch so they aren't getting drenched, but a roof doesn't exactly remedy dark or cold. I make small talk, if the opportunity presents itself. I know one or two pizza delivery persons on a first-name basis, because of this small talk exchange, over a period of time. I always have the exact change of the order, which is separate from the tip. Basically, I hand them the exact amount, making their job easier and quicker, and then I give them a tip.

Closer to Halloween, I'll give them some candy, along with their payment. Closer to Christmas, I've been known to give out sugar cookies. Amusingly, I've even given one fellow a joint, because he "complimented my #######". Keep in mind, the ####### was disguised as a candle -- only weed smokers, or those who have been around weed, can notice that, LOL! I'm a likable-enough customer, we'll put it like that.

Do I tip well? Well, it obviously depends on how much the total is. I won't order unless it's $15 or more, because it seems rather petty otherwise. I will never tip less than $10 (and haven't, as of typing this), because I consider the pizza delivery person's gasoline, which many pay for themselves, and I want them to have a little money. Generally, I tip with a $20 bill.

There are notable exceptions to the $20 bill, that being said. If the weather is stormy, I'll tip $30, to make it worth their time. If the weather is ridiculously icy, I've been known to tip with a $50 bill, because nobody should have to be out on a slick road, without some kind of respectable compensation.

Of course, tipping goes out the window, when I go and personally pick up my pizza.

Needless to say, whenever I do order pizza, mine tends to arrive pretty quick. Lol!

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I order pizza once a week usually - sometimes more in a bad week, but it's been nearly 2 weeks since I last had pizza, or any takeaway meal for that matter.

My favourite? Well, I have a custom-made pizza - normal cheese but with barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce, and topped with tandoori chicken. Sounds disgusting, I know, but it's good - really. I don't even remember how I stumbled upon that combination.

I usually say 'Hello', 'Thanks', 'Goodbye' - that's about it. I tell them to keep the change usually. A lot of the delivery people don't even say goodbye to me anyway, which I find so rude and mean. :frowning2:

3. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't order pizza that often. In L.A. there is a pizza delivery guy who knows me and my six roommates. Usually when we order pizza, there are many pizzas and one of my roommates handles the payment/tipping, so I'm not sure what they do. The few times I've actually paid the delivery man, it was a pretty mundane experience :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But of course I tipped well. I always do.

My favorite type of pizza is a combo with salami, green peppers, onions, jalapeños, sausage, and cheese.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Unfortunately, I don't currently live close enough to town to make delivery worth it. I would, however, go pick up a pizza probably every other week. Usually it's pepperoni, sometimes a meat and veggie loaded. There's a local pizza joint I've been going to before I was born- my mom adores it and I actually got my boyfriend hooked on their pizza. I'm bringing a couple pizzas down when I fly to California in a week.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live at home and I (or my family) haven't ordered pizza in.... I hardly even remember the last time we ordered pizza... maybe 5-6 years ago? We usually pick it up ourselves because we usually get it at places (like restaurants) that don't deliver. Even if we get it from a place that delivers it is usually because we are conveniently in that location (or my parents are and bring it home).

I really only like cheese pizza.... I still kind of like pepperoni pizza but the pepperonis kind of gross me out. I can't help but think about what they are made of. Still, they can taste good sometimes.

I can't imagine tipping $20-50 though! That's more than the pizza probably is, isn't it? I'd probably go pick it up myself for that price, or make myself something cheap lol.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Which is why I prefer to pick it up, lol.

But yes, it can seem like a lot, but those big tips are only when the weather permits. I don't think it's exactly fair to make somebody brave bad weather, for little gain. Which is exactly what happens, when the weather gets bad, and everybody orders pizza.

I'm conflicted about money. I like money, because you can do more with it, than without. However, I don't like to hoard all of it, so, I find creative or beneficial ways of spending some of it. Most of these include giving it to other people, who could use a little pick-me-up while working.

Basically, when Kaiser does well, everybody [that Kaiser deems appropriate] does well, is, for quite some time, how I've been living my life.

It makes life a little better, I think, to take care of those who work hard, mean something, or have earned it. Too often, those folks are under appreciated or neglected, when they really shouldn't be. I find it reaffirming to brighten somebody's day, if and when I can. Then again, I have a tendency to spoil any significant or valued individuals in my life.

7. White Knight

Not as much often as Turkish Pizza :grin:

I like Domino's Italian which has mushroom, black olive, domato, thyme and something meaty. I like it because it's the only one with my favorite things.

Tipping is pain in my arse. Usually people know me don't even let me answer door or pay just because of my tipping habits. If I like your service or like you, I tip generously. Amount varies but it is usually double or triple the amount normal people could give.

Those people, service people, pizza(or other food delivery) guys they have to deal with people and most of the time in very uncomfortable situations. I am more shocked, sometimes even offended that my family or friends think those guys don't deserve what I give to them. They bring me food, bearing terrible weather, Istanbul traffic and god know what else during their journey. What I give is not measured with my gratidute for them.

8. Blossom85

We don't order pizza regularly but speaking of, I ordered it tonight online.. We don't tip in Australia, well at least my family never has really.. I order it online with a credit card so usually it means I don't have cash which is why I don't tip.

9. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I barely earn enough to cover all of my own expenses, so I literally can't afford the luxury of tipping more than 1 - 3 €, no matter the occasion.

The "upside" is that I rarely ever have enough dosh on me to order pizza anyway.
    I used to earn more, and with that little bit of financial freedom, I liked to give generous tips. Can't do that anymore.

10. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow, you seem really sweet with the cookies and being polite.

When we order pizza we pick up. Also in Australia we don't tip. I have no idea how the pizza is so cheap still! My favorite is Hawaiian. I would have it minus the bacon but I am not allowed too. I don't really like any meat on pizzas but I still eat it.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting to see how many people tip. Tipping is rarely done at all here, but when I worked at a restaurant, we did get tips occasionally.

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never ordered pizza in Japan, because it's like $25-$30USD for an 8" pizza (also, I'm fairly certain they're covered in mayo not cheese...). If I did though, there's no tipping and I would try to get something without shrimp on it, octopus is okay though. And I would try to talk to the delivery guy but...well sometimes it just doesn't work.

In Canada, I got pizza a lot. When I was living on my own I'd just walk to get a slice, but when I lived with my bf he'd always order when I bugged him to take a turn making dinner, so he payed. My bf's kinda (a lot of) an asshole to strangers, especially in the service industry, so he probably didn't tip well and he'd probably find any reason to complain. :/ (...sorry pizza people...) My favourites were Hawaiian; spinach, tomatoes, and goat cheese with pesto; or Italian sausage, mushrooms, and garlic sauce instead of tomate sauce. And never, ever thin crust.

13. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Homemade is best...
    if you know how, it can be done fast and easy, and you can pick your toppings yourself...

A combination of those two is possible:
    How to Make Homemade Grilled Pizza on Your Stove Top!
    How to Make Pizza Dough Without Yeast: 7 Steps (with Pictures)
    These days there is baking powder available without aftertaste (google for it, there are different activators). But baking soda is best, without aftertaste. Just make and bake :slight_smile:.

Toppings I like are fresh sliced tomatoes, onions, pepperoni, and grilled vegetables. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2014 at 05:00 AM ----------

pepperoni means pepperoni peppers :slight_smile:

14. tscott

Thin crust, banana peppers, sausage, mushrooms or chicken BBQ with caramelized onions

15. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe like every 2 weeks or so.... Plus if the Capitals or Wizards win I can get 50% off Papa John's the next day

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We get pizza once a week--we may skip a week occasionally but it's pretty regular. Perhaps because we have it so often we mix up all sorts of different toppings although probably my favorites revolve around pepperoni with pineapple or Philly steak with jalapenos. We pretty much always pick up so no delivery people.

@jay777 Yes, homemade is definitely best but for us pizza night is primarily about a night when neither of us have to cook.:lol:

17. shinji

shinji Guest

I've ordered pizza a total of 5 times. Two of those I was bored and hungry and just being spoiled... The other three, I ordered because the delivery boy was cute as !@#$. Did not even cross my mind to leave tips.

Anyway, topping! Basically cheese, mushrooms and meat, don't really care what else is on there.

18. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was ordering pizza about once a month (sometimes twice if we could afford it) but that's likely to change now that my favourite, the cheeseburger pizza has been discontinued. I wasn't sure if I would like it when I first saw pictures of it but once we got one to try it out we were hooked! I don't know if it varied from place to place but here they had herbs in the beef which made it taste... I don't know how to describe it but sort of like a good quality kebab rather than just plain beef. What was even better you could get the beef patties topped with cheese and bacon.

In terms of toppings it always has to have pepperoni for me. Me and my mother will usually get a large half and half: pepperoni on my side and ham and pineapple/mushroom on hers. The plus to this is we can swap a few of my pepperonis for some of her ham (although she can keep the pineapple and mushrooms, I don't want those on my side! I don't mind pineapple but not on pizza and mushrooms are just yuck at all times) I've enjoyed meat feast pizzas a few times but it sort of depends where it's from as some of them aren't that nice. I can't have anything spicy because of digestive problems so I have to watch out for hidden spices.

As for tipping, I used to try adding an extra £1 or £2 (tipping on a budget and all) but a lot of delivery people seem to get funny about that so I stopped. I suspect maybe their bosses tell them not to accept tips to avoid complaints about accidental over-paying later or to keep control of their employee's earnings. I will still round the amount up to the nearest £ and tell them to keep the change however, usually they are ok with this.

19. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I order pizza once every few months at the most, when I do I have a thin crust sort topped with goat's cheese, ham and pineapple (Fuck the haters :wink: )

The person delivering it always gets tipped quite a bit and more importantly wished well.

20. Candace

When I get coupons I order pizza. I like to get pizza with grilled chicken, mushrooms, and pineapple :slight_smile: