1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does prayer work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Dec 15, 2014.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No there is no evidence that it does.

Prayer is worst than doing nothing. Because at least people who just do nothing, know they are not helping.

2. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that prayer works in the way meditation works; I believe that it can allow someone to focus, clear their mind, and perhaps better themselves. Whether or not it's actually God helping, I'm not sure, but it's possible. I don't believe in things like "praying to win a football game". I believe that if God exists, prayer is about personal strength and faith; it's not a substitute for modern medicine or about God taking your side in a sports game. And it's especially not about changing your sexuality.

3. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

In my experience a prayer is the watered down version of "magic" (I've been into esoteric/occult things since my childhood).

When you pray, you focus your mind on a single request, saying your request out loud, and if it's paired with strong emotions and willpower, plus it's repeated over a period of time, some results may be accomplished.
    Though the word "prayer" usually indicates that the person is awaiting help from an outside source (deities or spirits or whatever they believe in), really it's their own "mind-power" that's doing the job.

I'm not just preaching here, I experienced some of these things. For example the day my mother died this spring after a year of suffering, I went for a walk in the evening to clear my head a little bit. All afternoon I'd been thinking 'I wish someone was here for me to talk' and really wanted it, really desired it. I said this out loud while walking, and in about 20 seconds my only friend who lives nearby ran up to me. He was out for an evening jog. I was amused, to say the least.

This is just one example, but to answer the question, YES, prayer does work if there is sufficient intention, focus, will and desire behind it.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that prayer certainly works as a Christian. God's answer can be yes, no, or wait. God's plan is bigger than mine, and I can't get bogged down by the why's. His angels have protected me numerous times, and I am still here by his grace.

5. timo

See, the thing is... for prayer to work, there must be a god. I don't believe in the concept of (a) god(s). Therefore, praying seems rather useless and kind of like I'm talking to a wall.

:lol:

6. Yosia

Haha no.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I personally don't believe in anything like that, but hey, to each to their own.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no evidence that prayer works any better than placebos.

When I was religious, I prayed for many things. Some of them I got, others I didn't. However, confirmation bias can make the hits stand out a lot more than all the misses.

9. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In my mind it doesn't, I prayed that the bank wouldn't foreclose my family's house, And yeah... We got booted out.

10. Hexagon

*wonders how a placebo prayer could be offered* Or is it being told others have prayed for you when they haven't?

11. Burnedcloset

Does prayer work? Well.....there's only one thing I *really* used to pray for........to be straight. It didn't work. I'm still gay. Did god answer my prayer? Nope.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was taught to pray for the results that god wanted, not my own desires. With that said, I believe in the quote 'god helps those who help themselves.'

Prayer is fine if it encourages people to do something productive. Hell, some might believe I'm wasting my time experimenting with chaos magic. A psychological explanation would be... it's basically how I program my brain for success. Belief is a powerful tool. Nowadays I like to invoke Tzeentch as a godform.

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What would be the point of that? Surely god would get those results, regardless of your prayer.

If an infinite being can always do their will and has infinite knowledge to inform that decision. Then why does prayer affect what god does? As god will always do his will. If god wanted to do what you wanted then he could just read your mind.

Even if god existed, prayer would still be a waste of time.

#33 gibson234, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and no. I think it's mostly a placebo effect-the same reason that in medication Trials, the control group which gets a sugar pill that doesn't do anything, Actually starts feeling better.

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think so. I've been inwardly praying to meet some lovely guy I get along with, since March of this year, and nothing's happened. Sometimes I've even wished I could be exclusively gay or straight, rather than this complicated sexuality, 'bisexual'. Same story: prayer unanswered. Still Bi.

#35 Damien, Dec 15, 2014
  16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

And it saddens me that there are individuals that legitimately believe otherwise.

17. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It does do things it just is delayed or a no sometimes.

18. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only advice is to get over it. :confused: You can't worry about others, you just have to take care of yourself. You desiring to convert other people to thinking your way is no better than a christian pushing their values on you. (well, assuming you aren't christian, I honestly don't know or care that much either way, you gotta do you! :icon_wink)

I don't really disagree with the photo though, you can't just sit around wishing, not when you can do something about it. There is no good that comes from sitting back wishing things were better. Only you can make things better for yourself! That said, sometimes, there really are times when there is nothing you can do but sit and hope, some things are just out of your control and if prayer makes some people feel better, I say there is nothing wrong with that.

#38 Nekoko, Dec 15, 2014
  19. One Man Army

Intercessory prayer has no effect whatsoever.

Some religious folks enjoy the quiet contemplation that individual prayer gives them (like meditation, which is better IMO) and they like the sense of community and the warm fuzzy feelings when they pray in a group. But these benefits have nothing to do with the act of prayer itself, which doesn't have any effect on events at all.

20. Hexagon

Taking care of one's self only leads to suffering. I'm not objecting to prayer itself, as stupid as the concept may be, but as the picture suggests, that the real way to make changes in the world is to do them yourself.