1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Formality

I'm just tired of hearing gay being used as an insult by people around me. Or when someone in my family makes assumptions about gay people that are just plain ignorant. It's always someone acting like a know it all and then they say something about gay people but then they don't really know shit about what being gay means. Just no.... Go away.

2. Scorpio1024

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1) That we shouldn't be allowed to be in straight/cisgender schools because we're making people confused.

2) Transgender people think they are another gender.

3) Gay people were just traumatized and that's why they're Gay

4) It's your fault that I won't have any grandkids (only child) Why can't you be straight?
    (Keep in mind I am out to my mom and she says these things, I've never met my father)

3. dragonprince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so I have a lot of stuff, so I'll just do the ones that have stuck to me the most. So my dad, sister, and I have watched crime scene investigation shows. One of the episodes there was a transgender woman, and my dad yelled something along the lines of, "She is not a woman, she is a man!" I was quite disgusted by his overall attitude. There was another one with a victim that had hair that did not match that person's gender identity, and my dad did the same thing. Turns out that person had a hair transplant... This is part of the reason I may never come out as transgender due to his transphobic comments. :tears:

Another day I was in the car with my dad and sister when the topic of same sex marriage came up (before it was legal in the US), and he said that he was fine with it as long as it wasn't shown in public, but if me or my sister ever turned out to be lesbians, he wouldn't agree with it but he wouldn't say anything. That ticked me off, especially since he has some friends who are not heterosexuals (thought I'd put that since one does not simply know another person's sexuality unless told).

Last night my sister and I were watching song lyric pranks on youtube when some with gay topics came up. My sister said that it was disgusting and not natural. Being the older sibling I told her that it wasn't any of her business and not her choice. Just so you know, I know sexualities and gender identities are not a choice, but for her sake I left it like that. I honestly think she's going to grow up to be homophobic and transphobic, but I could be wrong though I really worry.

This is just the icing on top of the cake. I'm not going to go into the transphobic and homophobic comments I go through school everyday though. :bang: It's just too much to handle.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Their opinions on homosexuality I've basically forgotten. I know when Bruce Jenner announced that "he" was Trans, my mom and grandma started to show their ignorance. My grandmother at one point said that Bruce should've waited until all of "his" kids had grown up. Somehow, "he" was a bad person for not waiting just a few more years seeing as "he" had already held that secret inside for so long.
    I got into a lot of arguments with them. It made me really mad at them. I'm not trans, but I have identified as such when I was trying to figure things out. Needless to say, I was deeply hurt. The most recent issue that came up was a few months ago, again over Trans rights with the bathroom law. Jesus! The ignorance was strong. I can't remember everything said. My grandmother said one thing that really stands out. She was a Sub. Teacher at the time, and she claimed that she could see male students "claiming" to be trans so they could see naked females and basically have sexual relations with them. I think this is the dumbest bull I've ever heard in my life.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't remember if I posted before, but here we go;-

Bisexuals are all cheaters, it's scientifically proven

Freddie Mercury died because he was bisexual and bisexual people NEED to have sex with loads of people all the time and that's why he had AIDS

Trans people need to die

Pansexuals are necrophiliacs and pedophiles

There are two genders, and anything else is disgusting, retarded and wrong (their words)

Pansexual people don't exist, and asexual people are just uptight

If any of you (referring to me and my brothers) was gay, I'd throw you out, if I didn't beat the shit out of you first

I've changed my mind, you can be gay, because you're a girl, but you have to film it

You're not trans, are you? Cos if you were, I'd disown you for being edgy trash. They're not natural, if you have a vagina, you're a girl. If you say you're a boy, you're a liar

I just don't think they should be able to get married. Marriage is a man and a woman

Those are a few examples I've accumulated over the years. They range from close to distant relatives, with varying levels of understanding.

6. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously, what the fuck! (The filming bit obviously.)

I've not had anything like some of you. My family and I don't really talk about and they are very supportive - but my mum can be ignorant and unthinking in what she says. To me knowing I'm gay "Of course, you won't have children". I'm not even sure I want children but it's my fucking choice.

Oh that and people using gay as an expression of lame - never know what to say to that.

7. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Several family members saying (simply) that "it's wrong".

One from my dad tonight, upon watching two straight guys joke about being married: "hmmm scary stuff". I think it was just a slip - he's normally okay with anything LGBT+.

8. Emberly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's not really any one most offensive thing, just a bunch of the usual homophobic conservative Christian crap. You know, like how how marriage is only meant to be between a man and a woman, how disgusting/creepy/weird/unnatural/wrong homosexuality is, how gay sex is a sin and no one should have it and if they do they're going to hell, how gay people shouldn't be allowed to raise children, ranting about how LGBT characters don't need to be in media, complaining about how "the gays" are trying to force their beliefs on everyone else, acting like some kind of hero for refusing to get a coffee at Starbucks because Starbucks supports "the gay agenda"... etc.

9. thelittlerabbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are pretty accepting of LGBT people and they usually say things out of ignorance rather than out of hate.

There was one time however when I went to the state capitol on the day that they were voting to legalize marriage for all genders and I posted pictures on facebook of myself there showing support and my step-grandma (who doesn't know I'm a lesbian) tells me "you really shouldn't post stuff like that on facebook. You don't want people to start thinking things."

10. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grandma: "I have a feeling San Francisco could be caught in a fatal natural disaster someday..."
    *moment of silence*
    Grandma: "I really wouldnt mind it since that city is full of LGBT people..."

Wish me luck coming out :slight_smile: :lol:

11. SystemGlitch

There are a fair amount of things. Most recent and "worst" was when I had an argument with my brother in law about me telling my niece I'm trans.

"You don't have a penis, you can't be a "full" man."
    "You're not getting surgery to get a penis? You'll just be some form of he-she, why do you want to be like that?"
    "When you're at work and all the men are talking about 'hey John did you see the football last night?' 'Yeah, but the tennis was better. Hunter?' and you won't be able to say anything. You won't fit in with the men."
    "I'm not going to call you a man until you prove to me that you're a man. We need to play sports and go out drinking before I'll ever see you as a man. Right now you're just a whiny girl."
    "They're innocent to this. I'm protecting my daughters. Fuck with my kids and you fuck with me."

Just some of the gems from the argument...

My other sister also always calls her step-sons gay as an insult. If they're acting emotional or "weak", she calls them gay and tells them to "man up". One is slightly feminine than the other, and she also calls him a "poofter" extremely often.

12. Spacesword

1. they all need to be gathered up on a little island and a nuke dropped on them (my brother, prior to when I came out)

2. If it was natural then god would made adam and steve or Ally and May (my mother when I came out junior year.)

3. Show me how a man and a man or a woman and a woman can get pregnant by each other then I'll approve of it (my mother's boyfriend. should I show him the thing about stem cells?)

4. they're freaks who go after children! (my grandmother)

5. they're all freaks and all going to hell, the bible says that! (my aunt. Where does the bible say that exactly? wait it doesn't.)

6. You are trying to hurt me! What did I do to deserve this! was it because you didn't have a man around growing up? Was it because you watched your dad die!?" (my mom, with me coming out at 16.)

yeah, homophobic family....very homophobic actaully.

13. Selucia

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    My dad once said:

"Son, I don't care what you do, who you love, where you go. I accept you for who you are. However, if you're gay I'll knock you into next millennium".

I don't know if I believe the first half, or the last.

14. Enjel

Enjel Guest

I remember rehearsing for a play a friend and I were going to be in while we were in a garage, my dad had walked in and asked a question; afterwards, he referred to me as a "F*ggot."

My dad and I seem to be on good terms now, though.

Nobody's perfect.

15. Doughmaster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Me and my mother are watching shortland street (nz soap dont judge me) theres a boy called blu who is FTM she then go's of about how its "unnatural" and not right, i go off at her about how you cant say that and my twin sister backs me up she stops and i sorta decided there I don't think ill ever tell her im gay

16. shootingstar

shootingstar Guest

mother watching any gay person on TV: "those people just make me sick"

17. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, my mom doesn't believe in genders like bigender or gender fluid.

18. BrooklynChaserx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They say a lot, they are always making homophobic comments. What irks me the most is they low-key know about my sexuality and they keep on making them. They try to change my mind and "get the gay out of me". The worst thing they say is that gay people are simply retarded. And of course whenever the LGBT topic comes they all make disgust face, but the joke is on them hahaha if they only knew how proud I am of being bi. Their ignorance annoys me but I laugh at them now.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt"

20. ScatteredEarth

My aunt, in an attempt to rationalise how homosexuality was unnatural, basically sounded like a Catholic rep from urban dictionary. It's comically sad lol she just doesn't grasp the concept and gets genuinely confused if you state otherwise.

---------- Post added 24th Sep 2016 at 09:25 AM ----------

Oh my mother, almost forgot! We started watching American Crime Story and I happened to start at season two without any prior knowledge. My mother being into her show gets all sentimental "awe, maybe they aren't so wrong after all" where two days ago it was simply underhanded side comments. She too, suffers from the lack of concept issue mentioned earlier.