1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All gay people will burn in hell...God will not open the pearly gates to allow them in Heaven.

2. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't heard anything from my blood relatives, but my stepdad's sister and her kids got pretty worked up over an all-gender bathroom article in a newspaper. The article talked about some Canadian schools adding these bathrooms, and my stepdad's sister said they were pushing to add one to the elementary school she worked at. She said everybody who needed those bathrooms were extremely confused and needed some mental help, and from what her kids said, it was obvious that they agreed with her. I told her that gender and sex were completely different, and she said, "That is what they try to lead us to believe". Take note that her kids are 13, 10, and 7. Pretty young, and already on their way to trans/homophobic. When she left, I tried to explain to the oldest what sexuality, gender, and sex were, and the differences. He couldn't even seem to wrap his head around the fact that people could be gay, bi, or genderqueer. It took me fully by surprise to have to have this conversation with them because I had been so sure that they were much more open-minded than that. It has made me rethink about coming out to them after I turn 16.

3. L0ser

"Yeah, [name removed] said he was bisexual but he's dating a guy."

"Of course he is, bisexuality isn't a thing. He was just pretending not to be gay."

Following this conversation, which was between my uncle and one of my cousins, was a lot of homo/biphobic things.

4. DaniC

Well I kind of went into this on another post, but I'm still a little put off on it, so I'll probably share it 14 more times in different place.

My female cousin who's my age was the first person I told. She's Christian and somewhat conservative so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really didn't know if she was going to take her Bible out and slap me across the face with it before storming out. Her response was overwhelming acceptance. When she told her husband, all he wanted to know was what the kids were going to call me now. I couldn't have imagined a more positive response from them.

Then I told my progressive liberal brother and his even more progressive liberal wife. I figured it would go pretty smooth.
    Trying to remember some quotes from this conversation:
    "We are concerned"
    "We want you to think about the consequences of your choice before you go telling everyone."
    "We want you to know we're okay with having one in the family."

I kind of feel like my brother owes me an apology, but I doubt I'll ever get it. But eventually I'll probably tell him that if ever one of his children comes to him and says they are LGBT, I sure hope he has just a little better than "I'm okay with having one in the family."

5. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My stepdad says so many horrible homophobic things that I can't even repeat them. He tried to get a guy at Target fired just because he thought the guy was gay

6. irisstem

A cousin asking what bisexuality meant and one of my aunts replied in a conscending tone, 'Some people are just confused' and that it was 'just a fad' because celebrities wanted to appear diverse

7. DragonOfNarnia

"Why you don't wear dress?! (Are) you gay?!" the exact words of my maternal grandmother. Ignorance and homophobia at its finest!

P.S: I'm not butch. I have long hair and wear clothes from both the female, male and unisex departments.

#87 DragonOfNarnia, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family is LGBT+ supportive, so I haven't dealt with anything hateful. I only dealt with one ignorant comment which is that "They supported me getting with the girl of my dreams, or even a very feminine guy". I had to explain that being gay wasn't about liking femininity, and in fact I liked butch women too. I also asked her if she would date a butch woman and she said no, so she understood the difference.

9. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    reminds me of that old marlboro cigarette advert
    "welcome to sodomite country"

10. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "I admit that If you turned out to be a lesbian, it would be really hard for me to love you anymore"
    -My mom while talking to me about homosexuality. Yep, it was a glorious moment (since I had just realised fully that I was bisexual),which almost led me to go back to my old unhealthy ways of coping with emotional pain. It wasn't a good day.

"I have nothing agains oher people being gay, but if one of my children turned out to be homosexual, it would be a shameful proof of failure on our raising methods"
    -Same mom. That hurt too, but maybe not as much as the first...

11. memedank

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Being gay isn't a sin, but gay sex is."
    Um, 'sex' is in 'homoSEXual' for a reason?

12. Guff

My homophobic family had some really close, homophobic family friends over. My mom said well talking to them about homo's in front of me and my hole family "Homopaths are just crazy people democrats want to use for political power. (Says this last part somewhat humorously) Kids if any of you are gay, You're better not coming out of the closet, because once you're out I can see you, and i can shoot those we see" What really made me feel bad/fearful is how everyone in my family and that close family to us, all laughed agreeably.

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Countless homophobic things my dad and stepdad have said over the years, there's too many to sit down and try to count. Usually for religious reasons, but I don't consider that an excuse for bad behavior.

I will say I was rather upset when he called my ftm friend a "heshe" though. Had to resist that urge to face slap.

(Edit: Just realized I'd already posted here. Derp.)

#93 Kira, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    • My dad asked what being asexual meant, I explained it and he said "oh well they're most likely saying that and are most likely gay. You can't be asexual"
    • "they're creepy" - parents refering to transpeople
    • *laughs* - mom reaction to finding out someone we know is gay
    • "I just don't like the flamboyant ones that run around showing off how gay they are"

15. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "One of a parent's biggest fears is finding out their son is on drugs... Oh no actually having a son who thinks he is "gay" is even worse! Oh, those disgusting people..." ~My Mom :lol:

My friends still wonder why i didnt come out to my parents :lol:

16. GayPugs

Hmm...

When I came out to my brother as Genderfluid he said it was a "trend" and a "phase" and that being Trans was "trendy" that's why everybody was doing it.

When I came out to my mom as lesbian she said that lesbian was a "grown-up word" and I was "too young to know something like that" and that I shouldn't say I'm lesbian.

When I came out to my dad he said, "Oh cool. Wanna play Mario Kart with me?"

That is why my dad is my favorite family member.

17. iiimee

Gay people can be bad people too... Yeah, my family's totally cool with LGBT+ people. XD

18. kaka522

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When the Orlando Shooting occurred my cousin posted to facebook and said, "Thank god that somebody killed them faggots. 50 less people to spread aids and raise gay children."

19. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When two of my family members were in the car and said "Ugh, there are so many fags flooding (Our city)" and how they wanted them gone, etc.

#99 silverdeer, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "I wonder if [Josh Duggar] is gay; he DID molest that person" or something to that effect. I just remember the sting when I heard the statement.