How Easily Do You Ask For Help?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Toast8971

I hate asking for help. I'd much rather figure it out on my own; I usually do anyways.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Years ago, I used to have issues with asking for help. It was pretty much established, growing up, that asking for help meant admitting you were weak or stupid, or that you weren't doing life right. Basically, it was a frowned upon admittance. This was not helped by my first few years of elementary school, where I was picked on and targeted.

I got so sick and tired of being bullied, I became a bully myself. I told myself, never again would I be subjected to that. Over the years, I actually believed asking for help, was one of many things, that made somebody incapable or flawed. Basically, vulnerability was a terrible thing, that was exploited and severed you from society. At the same time, vulnerability was an easy way to "hook" people, because people were so desperate for attention or genuine friendship.

I could sweet-talk and force my way through life, up until a certain point. Nearing the end of junior high, academics were beginning to become very important. It was during this period that I realized, I was absolutely horrible at Mathematics. I tried to learn, but it just wasn't clicking with me. For the first time in a while, I actually needed help... of course, I didn't want to lose my image, so I would bribe or intimidate folks into doing some of my math work. This was working for a while, but it wasn't remarkably effective.

"That's an interesting story, Kaiser, but what does this have to do with asking for help?"

I'm glad you asked!

See, I had to relearn my ideas and beliefs on seeking help. I'll admit, it was a rather selfish reasoning, for me to pass a certain subject, originally, but it was still an important milestone in my development. I realized, if I could learn from others what I knew little to nothing of, that I would, eventually, become better equipped and better prepared. In short, I'd be more likely to achieve what I wanted.

Now, I have an easier time asking for help, because I know two things can happen. One, there is a possible bond that will be established, allowing for something to be obtained. And secondly, if successful, I will be more knowledgeable, in general. I fail to see, now, how this is a bad thing. Of course, some folks still have issues with asking for help, and that's their battle to fight.

3. QueerQueen

I hate asking for help.. at least for advice on something I am going through in my life. Telling anyone is the last thing I will do, even asking on here is at the bottom of my list. I don't really know why, I will always try get through it on my own, and I will over think the situation to death and all of what I'm feeling will build up inside until I HAVE to let it out before I go crazy. Even when I ask my friends for help or when I used to they'll tell me something that I already know or something that doesn't help me at all like "you'll get through it, your strong blah blah blah." Like okay thanks? However I'm not mad that my friends are like this, they are there for me when I need to cry or even just to listen.. which I also completely hate crying in front of people. Things that make me feel vulnerable I will pretty much stay away from. Though truthfully I feel like I should start letting things out more.

Asking for help when it comes to being in school, or for lifting something, or finding something or so on and so forth I have not really any problem with unless I am asking someone to go out their way to do something for me. That I do not like doing.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not very. I'm a pretty proud and independent person, so having to ask for help is like me admitting I'm inferior (obviously that's not a good way to view it, but that is often how I see it). I love when people asked me for help, but the other way around, not so much...

5. One Man Army

I'd have to be stuck halfway down a cliff, in the dark, with waves and high winds lashing at me, before I asked for help. Even then I'd probably apologise a couple of times.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no trouble admitting that I need help at times.

But I have a terrible time asking for it...sometimes even recognizing that I need it, but almost certainly with knowing what to ask for.

Physical situations offer the best illustration, but it generalizes well to more personal matters. When I waited tables in college, I'd be juggling a ton of priorities in my head, and when I was overwhelmed and could really use a hand, the one thing I didn't have time for was to stop and say, hmmm, now if so-and-so asks if I need anything, what's a simple thing I could ask for that would help me out a lot? People would even ask...and I *knew* I needed a hand...but I was so deep into my shifting maze of priorities and tasks that it was almost always easier to just carry on than it was to stop and moment and try to let someone else in.

Same deal with personal issues. I can be hurting quite a lot, but have no clue what to ask for. Sometimes I get lucky and someone offers something I need. And even when I know what I need, I can have a lot of trouble troubling someone else on my account. It's something I'm trying to work on...but I'm much better at providing help than asking for it.

7. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the situation. If I think it's something I should reasonably be able to do on my own, I'll put a huge amount of time and effort into it before seeking assistance. If it's something that's completely new to me, I really don't have a problem asking for help. If it's something really personal, there's not many people I'm close enough to talk to about it so I tend to keep that to myself, for better or for worse.

8. paper planes

depends on who i'm talking to, but i generally hate asking for help.

9. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I mean I am, to be honest a very prideful person, and don't like to ask for help. BUT! Yes there is a BUT because I do know how to ask for help, and will do it whenever I need help. Because yes I'm prideful but I also take pride in knowing when to ask for help, we all need it at one point or another, wanting to admit you need help is something completely different :slight_smile:

10. Ryujin

What does 'Asking for help' mean?

(this was a joke, haha, just informing any who didn't pick up on it)

And no, this isn't because I don't think I ever need help, I'm very aware of when I do, it's not wanting to seem like a pain, be awkward, or bother other people that causes me to sort of get mad at them and want their help and refuse to let myself ask them for it.

#31 Ryujin, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  11. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, THIS! :/

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally, I dislike asking for help and rarely need to. It obviously depends on the situation. Sometimes I fear that getting help results in owing something to somebody, which could be used against me. Also, I'm able to endure a little more than most people. It doesn't feel right to ask for help, because other people need it more.

With that said, I believe it requires remarkable courage to admit when one needs help. It's perfectly fine, as long as one doesn't become overly dependent. Only a fool believes they can get through this life without getting hurt. If you've read about Taoism or Hinduism, you'll know that suffering is an inescapable part of life.

There's usually no point in asking for help with my studies because most people have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm bad at explaining things. However, the internet has been a godsend. Now I can send my half-baked ideas to people that can deal with my atrocious grammar and difficulty explaining myself.

There are some exceptions to my trouble asking for help. I often ask for directions to well-known locations, even if I know the area like the back of my hand. I know it's lying and kind of wrong! I live in the middle of nowhere. I make the most of the time I spend uptown. I've also bought a few drinks for strangers, without wanting to get into their pants. A girl at college bought me my first drink and I was really happy.

13. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't usually consider any kind of help an option at all. If I can't do something on my own, I assume I'm either not intelligent or informed enough to do it.
    Asking for help is next to impossible for me, since I generally expect myself to accomplish anything on my own.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In some regards I will ask for help easily, such as school work. In other regards, I'll be lying in a pool of my own blood before I ask for help.

15. gayer axolotl

Basically never but Im getting better about it with my parents.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I won "Best use of office hours" joke award in college.

17. essie

I know I need help but I don't usually ask for it because I don't want to bother other people. And if I do I apologize and apologize.

18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm good with some things and bad with others

19. Silas

I try to avoid asking for help as much as possible so only as a last resort...