1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being religious

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 11, 2014.

1. titanV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As long as they are not overzealous, sure. On the other hand, I would avoid relationships with anyone who does not respect that I'm somewhat religious. I wouldn't care if he disagrees with it, but at the same time I wouldn't want to hear him talk about it in a derogatory way.

yeah, that's a bit overzealous to me... I've never understood why people do that.

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's something that matters to you and you are willing to accept someone who doesn't feel the same way, absolutely. And if you're open about it, you may very well find someone who shares your beliefs. I'm a cradle Catholic and while I reject some of the teachings, I'm comfortable with enough of them to remain so, and have been quite open about it. I also realize that not everyone shares my belief system. I've gotten far more hate from gays for being Catholic than I've gotten from Catholics for being gay, so my best hope was that I wouldn't fall for someone who was totally condescending and judgemental with me about it. As it happens I found someone whose views are remarkably close to mine. So it can happen.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :grin: I don't think God sees everything at all time. For proof, look at some of the statements in the bible, where God is supposedly asking someone what they did, or did
    you do something?. If God saw everything, why would God ask that question?

Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

The LORD said, "What have you done?

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I personally wouldn't date anyone religious, but there are religious gay people out there too

5. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe those are rhetorical questions (and not literal) asked by God in these situations. He knows the answer; but he wants Cain to answer them.

Because elsewhere in the Bible it is made very clear that nothing escapes God's sight or notice or knowledge:

Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care.

"Not a even a sparrow falls to the ground outside of God's knowledge or consent..."

Luke 12:7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

"Even the hairs of your head are all numbered (by God)."

"So don't worry - because you're worth more than *many* sparrows..."

(The links lead to many variant translations of these verses, for comparison.)

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2014 at 03:54 PM ----------

As far as being religious goes, yes, I am.

Sometimes I feel like I need to keep that under wraps or be 'clandestine' about it, in different kinds of company, though. Which makes me sad. Because God is a great joy in my heart.

I don't pretend to know or understand everything that seems contradictory within the Scriptures...however, what I have personally experienced of God, in my heart and in my life, and what I see of God in Jesus, is enough to settle my fears about the parts that I don't understand or that trouble me. I hope that makes sense...?

Basically, I've come to have a trust in God's true nature from a heart place. I know that won't make life necessarily less difficult; and I know that I might still experience bad things...even terrible things. And I can't say that my faith may not be shaken when/if I do. But, from an intellectual standpoint, I understand why evil is not fully restrained always, here (in this life). And why those under God's care may not always be exempt from experiencing it.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2014 at 03:56 PM ----------

(And the Bible does explain this. Just didn't want to ramble on, at length. :wink: )

6. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thank you for your views friends. :slight_smile:

I always had been apprehensive about being religious might affect relationship.

But it seems to be alright.

Thanks once again :slight_smile:

7. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone