1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Victories

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kasey, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I love reading this thread and hearing some positives in other people's lives, congrats. :slight_smile:

I think my mother seems to be becoming more supportive with me when it comes to transitioning. So to anyone who is struggling with their parents, they might come around.

2. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A few days ago now, I casually referred to myself as non-binary in a facebook comment. I have told about 20 people directly (my girlfriend and my quidditch team), but this was a first time I just mentioned it as something true and not a big deal, in a group with 1000+ people. It felt good, being open with the world at large.

3. AfraidandAlone

this morning i asked my friend if she still had any of her old b cup bras from before she had kids. she said if she doesnt she might have a few of her old c cup. im so happy i might be getting my first bra.^_^

4. Folieadeux

I'm deciding between the names Ashton and Skyler!
    I felt uncomfortable with "Ian" so I opted for a gender neutral name and I love it!
    I'm gonna ask my sister if for one day she can call me Ashton, and the other day she can call me Skyler.

5. Yesnomaybe

Aww that's so exciting!! Congrats! :thumbsup::icon_bigg

6. AfraidandAlone

she didnt have any but she said she would buy some for me. now i really cant wait until monday i am actually kind of embarrassed about how excited i am.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nik said my voice sounded different when I called him a few days ago. I think it's finally coming.

8. Maxey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's awesome!

And also YOU HAVE A QUIDDITCH TEAM WHAT IS THIS MADNESS HOW CAN I JOIN ONE???

9. Yesnomaybe

Don't be embarrassed!!! Things like that are super exciting, and it's super awesome hat someone's willing to help you out like that!! :icon_bigg

10. Maxey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love reading all these posts and I'm so happy for all of you!

11. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I finally got the courage to contact a gender therapist for a possible consultation.

12. Maxey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm babysitting tonight and I read the kid a goodnight story. I'm still nt sure what prompted me to do this but I started talking in a lower voice, and even though I didn't have my hair up or anything and I've been acting pretty much neutral all day, I suddenly felt very masculine, and not only that just completely comfortable and at ease because I knew that no matter what gender I was at any given moment it wouldn't make any difference to this 7 year old because all he cares about is the fact that I'm hanging out with him and it just left me feeling extremely happy and comfortable and I've held onto that feeling all night :slight_smile:

13. Queero

That's awesome! One of my favorite parts about all the childcare work I do, is that the kids don't really care what clothes you wear or any of that. They just want someone to play with, they haven't really been taught to judge yet. :slight_smile:

14. DragKing692

And let's make sure they don't learn to judge people like us. Nicely said.

15. Maxey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah. Little kids are awesome. That's honestly one of the things I love about the group of friends my parents have, everyone in that circle is really open and accepting and the kids are all raised in a really accepting environment so it's really great. It's too bad that not all kids grow up like that.

16. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first person I ever introduced myself to as Christopher was Neil Christopher Sanderson, the drummer for Three Days Grace that I named myself after. I know this says small victories, but this is HUGE for me and my favorite band signed my CD to Christopher as opposed to my birth name.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so fucking cool! :grin:

18. Maxey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's so awesome! :grin: Three Days Grace is really cool and it's so great that you got to meet them and they addressed you by your preferred name :grin:

19. PossumJack

I just came back from Croatia, where I was on a backpacking trip, and had to pass through Russia for a transfer flight. The lady at passport control kept squinting really hard and looking between my old 2012 passport to my real 2015 face (2012 me still kept long hair and looked...embarrassingly effeminate). She handed my passport to another guy and they started to talk in Russian. Considering how bad LGBT rights are in Russia and that it is literally illegal for me to get a driver's license there because being transgender is considered a "mental illness", at that point I was praying that I won't get pulled aside or detained or something. The lady suddenly said my birth name aloud, and luckily I was able to respond quickly to it, though not without a substantial amount of cringing. That was proof enough to them that I didn't steal some poor kid's passport, apparently, and I was allowed to pass after the two snickered behind my back. Well, it's not exactly a "victory", but I'll take it as a weird backhanded compliment on how well I pass.

The U.S. customs officer just chuckled and told me I seriously needed a new passport. Needless to say I'll be heeding that piece of advice 8\

20. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, it's awesome that you pass! I couldn't pass if I tried ;__;

We went shopping for something fancier and while my sister and dad forced me to get a woman's blazer, I get a men's shirt and tie. :slight_smile: Still doesn't beat me using my chosen name for the first time to the man I named myself after x'D But I'm proud enough