1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Poroyl, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Poroyl

Poroyl Guest

Just wondering how many of you are out at school, or at least to a few friends at that school. Do those who know treat you differently since they were told/found out? :eusa_doh:
    Im asking 'cause I as well want to come out, but not sure quite yet. :help:
    Thanks for replies :icon_bigg

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I'm out to one friend in my school.
    Well she's quite understanding and tolerant. Aaand she doesn't treat me differently, no. Quite awesome:slight_smile:
    Good luck with coming out:slight_smile:

3. KingJude

No. My year is full of homophobes. I'm going to wait until university before I come out publicly, as it were.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

In highschool I wasn't out, in part because I wasn't sure yet what I was and in part because there was far less tolerance, especially among the guys in my class for LGBT people.
    Since starting uni (6 years ago already), I've been out to anyone who asks or pays attention.

5. Beth01

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm out at school, but not at home. My friends were all really supportive, and nobody treats me that differently.

6. Rainbows~Exist

Yep. I'm completely out at my school and so far I've had little to no negative responses :slight_smile:

7. Imagery

Imagery Guest

Well I am not exactly sure about my sexuality yet, but I did tell one friend about my crush on this girl we know and she said yay and we haven't talked about it since. I also told my best friend (in my school as well) but she is bisexual so she really didn't care.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out (University). :slight_smile:

9. AJ2014

I came out to my close friends in school now in college coming out to anyone that asks or they know if they lookonmy fFacebook from what I post

10. Rainbow Kitty

Everyone. I've never been bullied for it, though I've come across maybe 3 homophobes.

I don't live in Atlanta... I live in a pretty rural town. I wouldn't worry too much. I've rarely been treated different.

11. ajsivy

i am out at school to my social group so not everybody knows but all the people i talk to on a regular basis do and no one has treated me different i have even made new Friends through my gsa (if there is one at your school i recommend joining)

12. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm out to my school, to anyone who cares. I feel like there's no graceful way to come out to people you barely know, so I don't unless they ask me. If you feel comfortable and safe coming out at school GO FOR IT! But make sure that any straight friends know that you're not attracted to them if you aren't. State it VERY clearly.

13. SeerOfHeart

I am with people who know me well, and I'd tell other people if they asked. The thing is, I go to a big art school (~3000 students) in a big, liberal city, so I've never had any problems from anyone at my school- or in general, for the most part.

In fact, a good number of my friends at school are part of the LGBT community as well, which is pretty cool.

14. GhostNeko

I'm out to everyone except for my parents. You could hate me and I'll still be open, haha.

15. Poroyl

Poroyl Guest

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. :icon_wink
    If l may ask as well, how do you, without making it a big thing, tell your best friends (male) you're not interested in them? :smilewave

16. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In high school I was only out to a handful of people, but none of them ever treated me any differently because of it.

17. Rainbow Girl

I'm out to my close friends and I'm not really sure how many other people know. I think this one girl (who is not a friend at all and I'm sure how she would have access to such information) knows and I think she's told other people (without my permission) but I don't know for sure.

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I wouldnt. Unless they ask or give signals they're worried about that possibbility.

19. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My 2 friends know. One is great and doesn't treat me any differently aside from that he doesn't point out girls to me as much anymore.
    The other friend I have is a very religious person, and she's always questioning me in a light-hearted way about my orientation and how she doesn't understand it because of her religious stand-point. It gets annoying but we've been friends for 14 years (and I'm 17!) so it's only a little bump while she gets to terms with it.

20. gamergirl689

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Never really came out but people just assume