1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody have success meeting platonic friends on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SouthernGeek, Dec 10, 2014.

1. SouthernGeek

I'm very lonely and could use some face to face friendship. I know it seems very pathetic, but I posted an ad on Craigslist in the "platonic" section for m4m any age 18+ for somebody to meet me at an area restaurant or bar to watch a football game Thursday night. I mentioned this wasn't a hookup, said that I was bi and just wanted a buddy to watch the game with and hang out with, and I mentioned my age.

Anyone done this before? If so, how did it turn out?

And just curious, how many people if they saw an ad like this might respond? I'm just wondering if any sane person would possibly take me up on it.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds kind of risky but I would probably would of done the same thing if I was in your position. As long as you meet him in a public place i think you should be fine. Please don't meet him anywhere else or go some place alone with him. Keep it public and safe for the first time meeting.

3. SouthernGeek

Dano,

thanks, I have been going to a restaurant with a bar and watching the game -- not every game or even every week -- but once in awhile i'll do this just to get out. I just wish I had a friend to hang out with. I usually am able to strike up a conversation with men or women who are sitting at the bar, but often I feel like I'm intruding since they aren't there with me, although most people are very nice and I'm a pretty good conversationalist. Still, I'd rather meet somebody there for that purpose. And if the person I meet is bi, that's a bonus because then we can talk about the kinds of things I can't talk about with family and coworker-friends.

4. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Have never done it before, but.....

If you were closer..... My team is playing Thursday night so I'll be watching.

5. SouthernGeek

You a Cardinals fan or Rams fan? Neither is my team, I just want to go out after work, and I love watching a good game.

6. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Cardinals. Should be a good game, but hopefully in Arizona's favor. The Rams have been playing well, and Arizona needs this divisional win.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your need for a friend is completely understandable and the way your going about it is very safe and mature. Yeah you want to be careful with meeting when it comes to craigslist or any site. The fact that someone would meet you based on a site like that can be very unlikely. Not that there is anything wrong with you it is just most people second guess ads on sites like that.

8. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of all places you could go to find friends you just went straight to the place with the most likely to be serial killers, drug dealers and rapists, good job bro!

9. SouthernGeek

Yep pretty much. I guess that shows my level of desparation. Oh well, nobody has responded anyway and probably won't. I guess I'll be drinking alone tomorrow night. :icon_sad:

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had occasional luck, and in fact, one of my good friends is someone that one of my other friends met on Craigslist platonic friends.

The only problem I've seen with it of late is that apparently a LOT of people don't fucking understand what "platonic" means and by the second email are asking questions that have no business in a conversation among friends.

11. SouthernGeek

Yeah there were a couple ads in the craigslist "platonic" section in my area that were outright asking for sex.:bang: They could at least post it in the appropriate category. Of course if you read some of the ads many posters are barely literate.

12. Erick

Don't use craigslist! Well at least I don't recommend it. You don't know who's on the other side of the computer; I would never trust to meet someone you don't know well in person. I just recommend seeking love come to you.

But that's just an opinion.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

13. Manta

I personally never trust that sort of thing...

I recommend going out for something else. I do ballroom dance, and the dancers there roped me into swing, and now I've got drinking buddies and the potential to go out and meet up with friends several times a week. You could join a hiking group, community sports team, choir, art class, etc. Things that are open to anyone and everyone so you can meet all kinds of people. I pay $5 for an hour lesson + 2.5 hours of social dance. Compared to drinking in a bar, its not a bad deal.

14. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The best thing is too meet people through people, if someone you know is with you you can meet their friends through them, then become friends with that friend's friends and so on, it's important to meet people in person because you can judge them better than through an anonymous profile on a screen, because you can see their facial expressions, tone of voice, appearance, body language, see how they react to things you do and say, their smell and all the fine details you won't get online.

15. SouthernGeek

Chrome,

I agree with you, but it's hard to get started when you don't have any gay friends, especially for someone like me who isn't out. As long as you are safe about it and take precautions, it can be a way to get started.

16. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They is one out guy who is my acquaintance, he is not my type at all, he's bitchy obnoxious and rude and tries really hard for everybody to know he is gay and different which makes me feel uncomfortable since I cannot afford to be out and It tells me that he doesn't care about what people say but he also doesn't care about his safety.

I spend time with the closted guys there are much better. You can tell they are interested when you you look at them and they look back and smile. and you look into each others eyes for a 5 seconds or so,and he doesn't look away or make a disgusted face, But I will NEVER act upon these clues and hints as being gay is not safe as I would like. I just flirt with them without being obvious.

17. mangotree

I met one of my best friends on "The Gumtree" back when it had personals on it (It's kind of like the UK/Australia version of Craigslist I think). It was in the dating section though.
    Often when I look for dates, I end up making friends.
    So maybe a safer way to go might be to sign up for a dating website that has more moderation etc.. on it.

And as others have said, follow the safety guidelines that are found on most dating websites (meet in a public place, don't go home with anyone you don't 100% trust etc..).

18. Brenndo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have had far far [far] farrrrr more luck on social media sites. Facebook. Join Forums. there are groups that are dedicated to your region. Meet people on there... they're usually normal, sane people that aren't specifically on there for an "anonymous" purpose. I have never had the courage to meet people from craigslist... but I've met plenty of people from Facebook. Add friends. Once you add a few people then your list of "find friends" expands... and it expands and expands...

I seriously recommend that

19. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What about the anonymous guys with fake profiles with headless torsos for profile full of pictures of male models, and really cheap names like James John? It's not much safer than a sketchy dating site.