1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does your music taste say about your personality?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lawrence, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was reading this. You don't have to read all of that!

Are these findings accurate for you? Are they a load of nonsense?

Here's the breakdown of the study:

Blues fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle, and at ease

Jazz fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, and at ease

Classical music fans have high self-esteem, are creative, introverts, and at ease

Rap fans have high self-esteem and are outgoing

Opera fans have high self-esteem, are creative, and gentle

Country and western fans are hardworking and outgoing

Reggae fans have high self-esteem, are creative, not hardworking, outgoing, gentle, and at ease

Dance fans are creative and outgoing but not gentle

Indie fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard working, and not gentle

Bollywood fans are creative and outgoing

Rock/heavy metal fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, and at ease

Chart pop fans have high self-esteem, are hardworking, outgoing, and gentle, but are not creative and not at ease

Soul fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle, and at ease

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think it's the general mood and lyrical content of a song that might tell you something about the listener's personality rather than the genre. I mean according to this list my personality directly contradicts itself because I listen to several types of music on there. I agree wit what they said about music helping you exercise though. It's also a good motivator since if you enjoy music alot it makes excercise more appealing

3. Adam1969

Thats funny, as I have performed all of those styles of music, excepting bollywood, and I'm sure I would enjoy that as well. My tastes in music are broad as it is my profession, but I enjoy listening to all of these styles as well. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

For me there is a time and place for Black Sabbath's First Album, Holst's Planets, Delbert McClinton, Avril Levine or Miles. Van Halen Kicks ass and McCartney and The Who, Elton and Cher as well! Judy Garland was one of the most exceptional ass kicking strong performers of the 20th century and Pablo Casals was equally as talented. Sinatra, Sammy, Clapton, Hendrix, Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Monk, Parker, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Zappa and of course Count Basie, have enriched my life immensely... but mostly I love the best band that the world will ever hear or see... the band that inspired millions to pick up a guitar and sing... The Beatles! Did I mention Bieber!? I F-in hate him!!! :eusa_doh:

To answer the question... that article is baloney! ""What does your music taste say about your personality?"" I have no clue! Like what you like and dont bother analyzing it. Music was put on the planet to inspire and enrich, even death metal!

#3 Adam1969, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  4. Quiet Raven

While I agree with others I should say....

I listen to rock almost exclusively, and that description describes me almost perfectly...

5. Adam1969

Dammit, I meant to say the list is baloney, the article is actually very interesting and I think spot on!

6. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The genres I listen to the most are not listed there but out of the ones listed the one that I listen to the most is indie and I more or less fit the category (Except for the bit about not being gentle) but I do think they are quite stereotypical and obvious descriptions.

7. MusicislifeXD

^ Same...exactly me....

8. Justinian20

It does say something about me there, only one thing is incorrect, I listen to Dance music(which I presume would include electronic music) and yet I am not outgoing, but I am a creative person and I am not quite so gentle when playing sport of some sort. Most people say I'm gonna hurt myself because I get incredibly rough in sport, even though I'm a very slim build.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

A lot of those descriptions overlap. Some fit me, and some don't. It seems too... general and, well, lazily compiled. But, that's just me, lol...

I'd say, based on what I listen to and like, that I'm very open-minded and willing to experiment. If I like the sound of something, I'll listen to it. I don't dismiss something, just because it's one genre or another. That, in my opinion, makes somebody a little boring and less of a risk taker. I like to live life, if that makes any sense.

10. Candace

I listen to stuff based on whether or not it has a good melody. I guess it also says that I really go with the flow and don't really venture out that much to find other music :lol:

11. LiquidSwords

No and no, except the bit about being lazy

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Indie and rock for me, pretty inaccurate. I don't have low self esteem and I am hard working.

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Classical and indie are my two favorite genres and they have "creative" in common, which is very true.

I'm definitely open-minded when it comes to music as I have favorite songs from almost every genre you can think of. But as for my top-two, I think they show that I do value effort going into music, it can't just be churned-out pop hits, formulaic, or generic lyrics.

14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Chart pop, dance, blues and jazz are my favourite genres.

15. Psaurus918

I'll listen to pretty much any genre of music except country...

For years my favorite band was Tool but my iPod has a mix of everything!