1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 4, 2014.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    It could've gone better, but it could've been a lot worse.

She said I was confused. She said I should hang around more straight people and see a therapist. She told me she wanted grandchildren.

But she didn't kick me out, so it could've been worse.

2. ajsivy

(*hug*) im sorry that happened just remember we will always be here for you.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very sorry to hear that (*hug*)

4. ChameleonSoul

Remember that she's probably just in denial and she realizes that she can't change you if she has any sense in her head. Even if it does take a while, she'll get used to it over time. Congrats on coming out anyway. (*hug*)

5. Munyal

That's a big step! She'll understand at some point.(*hug*)

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sucks that you didn't get the reaction you were hoping for, but I think in the very near future you'll look back on today as an overwhelmingly positive moment in your life. Telling your parents is one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do (I still haven't been able to do it) and for better or worse you have that over with.

Give your mom time; I think she'll come around eventually, especially if you do end up seeing a therapist who knows what he or she is talking about.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm very sorry to hear that your coming out didn't go the way you were hoping for. Give your mom time to process it. It's often said that parents have to come out too. In other words, they have to be able to cast their fears aside, and learn to be okay with it, and accept it.

It's quite possible that your mom will need some time to go through the five stages of grieve, and start realizing that your sexual orientation doesn't change you, and is an integral part of you. (*hug*)

8. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I guess it could have gone worse ,if you are gay so what you can always adopt a child later and then she will have a grandchild. Please don't let her force you to change . It is you decision and you will decide when you are ready to . So good luck .

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, Congrats on coming out to your mom. and your right it could have been a lot worst. you mom brought up some important points, from her point of view. the therapist is a good idea since a good one can help you with dealing with the crap that could come our way when we come out more fully and can tell her that it isn't confusion and this is who you are. Grand kids, could still be in the offing if that's something that you want. lots of straight people choose not to have kids, or to adopt if they do. and as for the "straight" friends, well i'll leave that one alone.

10. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    She meant like a therapist for repairitive therapy.

11. Clay

A normal therapist would be good to talk to, not whatever crazy loon your mum wants you to.

12. congrats on a big step! but i'm really sorry her reaction wasn't what you wanted :frowning2: Don't fret, it'll get better! (just eat lots of sugar and sweets)
    sending hugs [​IMG]

13. SouthernGeek

I think that is a very good first step. One thing that people have to keep in mind is that for a parent it can be rather a shock to learn their child is gay. If a person who is feeling their feelings can have a difficult time understand what is going on in their own mind, it stands to reason that somebody else is likely to have to struggling with it as well.

This may seem kind of extreme, and I'm just dealing with my own feelings so I'm certainly no expert, but I imagine that a parent who learns that the child they thought they knew is no longer there they would go through a sort of a grieving process.

Of course you ARE the same child you have been in most ways, except the part about dreaming of planning your wedding to prince charming together, etc etc etc. So I think as your mom has time to deal with those realities she will learn to dream about the same future but with different details. Not sure if that made sense or not, I'm just imagining how I'd feel if my little girl came out to me.