1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally accepted that I'm gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by laloski, Nov 29, 2014.

1. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah actually, my biggest fear is that they will tell everyone and I will loose control on who I am ready to let know. I love them but they have big mouths and can't keep a secret.

When i ran off to Germany some friends of mine posted, using my Facebook account, that I was finally coming out of the closet. Granted they were right that I was in fact gay but I wasn't ready to accept myself and I definitely wasn't ready to let anyone else know. So this time I don't want to loose control.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2014 at 08:05 PM ----------

Thanks, I'm a lot more happy now too!

2. breathingfree62

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is very liberating!
    So far for me positive with everyone I've told.
    The hardest person for me was my wife.
    Now we are best friends.
    Good luck!
    Stay strong!

3. IWICCO

:icon_bigg
    I definitely get that. You have to do what is right for you. Continue to post on EC and we will continue to support.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :eusa_clap I'm proud of u (*hug*) :thumbsup:

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats~! ^.^

6. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a little update, so I have officially come out to a family member. I came out to my sister while on a car ride, I was just kinda like ”Hey you're not homophobic right?“ and she said no so then told her good because I'm gay.

She was very accepting, said that I'm still the same person to her and what I do with my life is my businesses. She did, however, tell me to refrain from telling my parents anytime soon.

Over all, it was relief telling her but then I realized that now I can't go back in the closet if things get bad. Which was kind of depressing to me.

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice move with your sister!! Well done.

Don't be down about not being able to go back in the closet… I am sure you have only told people you can trust and they will keep your private matters private.

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations, AGAIN!!!! :eusa_clap That is such fantastic news! It sounds like it's getting easier for you. How do you feel about your sister's advice that you not tell your parents? Is that because of what you said about them being super religious, and how the family has reacted to some things in the past?

9. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agreed with her, it's not so much that they are religious which they are. I recently discovered how religious my dad actually is, for the longest time I thought he was atheist. It has more t do with being basically banished.

I don't even know what happened to my cousin, last I ever heard from him I was like 7 or 8 years old, his name isn't even mentioned. I guess I'm afraid my parents will do that to me, which is a very really possibility. There is also the situation of being financially dependent on my parents to pay for my university tuition, I honestly wouldn't be able to pay the tuition without there help.

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that would clinch it for me as well. there is nothing to be gained, and an education and all that represents to be lost. I would absolutely hold out for graduation.
    and as for family, I strongly believe that biology often doesn't determine our real family. Our family are those people who love us, and support us, and stick by us through thick and thin. When that happens to be a blood relative, like your sister, that is great. but we need a much broader understanding of family. there is a pretty well understood concept of the gay family, and it really sustains a lot of people in their lives. our families of origin can sometimes be more destructive than nourishing. not that there aren't things to be grateful for, but if we acknowledge the whole story it can be very healthy. (&&&)

11. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out to your former coworker and your sister! I can completely understand the desire and need to protect your future and education. I also get wanting to control the speed of the process. I would suggest finding a few other friends that you feel you can come out to, and trust them to not tell everyone. You may even be able to start dating and having your date with you in social situations at school. Just keep your school / social life separated from your family life at least until you finish school.

I dated a closeted bi guy through the last two years of university and after that. He never has told his parents, but most of our friends figured it out. It was the open secret with our friends. That kept up for another 4 years after he graduated. Some of those same friends are still amongst my closest.

Sounds like you're doing great! :slight_smile:

12. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I was actually thinking about starting to date at school, luckily I go to school far away from home so there is no way my family would ever get in the way of that. I just don't even know how to go about that. The last person I dated was a girl and that was a few years ago and I didn't even ask to go on a date in the first place, she did. Plus I don't even know how to know if a guy is gay!

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2014 at 03:30 AM ----------

I have heard that your family doesn't necessarily have to be blood related, although in my family it's drilled in us that blood is thicker than water. But I know I need a support system outside of my family because my family might not always be there. How do I get a “gay family”?

As a side not, I plan to move to Spain once I'm done with my bachelor in order to do my masters only then will I probably tell my parents.

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Is there an LGBT center at your college? or a gay straight alliance? those are good places to meet gay guys. You'll probably figure out who the gay guys are, but if you're having trouble with it you could just wear a rainbow wrist band, or something like that, and they will find you!

14. soulcatcher

Nice way of avoiding answering about "anything new" in your life.

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2014 at 07:44 PM ----------

[YOUTUBE]X4XzCP8sQqU[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2014 at 07:54 PM ----------

Is your dad a pious person in the closet?

Yeah, it would be wise not to come out to your parents, whilst you are financially reliant on them.

#34 soulcatcher, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  15. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is, but, I'm a little intimidated going in just yet. I go in sometimes but I have to prepare myself, for some reason I get really nervous before I go in. I think I'll try the wrist band thing though. That might actually work!

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2014 at 12:56 PM ----------

You know, that's not the first time I've heard that. I think he's just really pious, I mean my parents grew up in a town that had mass everyday and all social life revolved around the church. But you know what, it could be... I mean he's very stoic so I'm not even sure! I do remember though, that as a kid he would sometimes punish me for being according to him not manly enough. It could be that he was closeted himself and he wanted me not to seem gay as a kid! But I doubt it.

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

another option is to contact the LGBT center and ask them if they have any off-campus events that you could attend. talk to someone on the phone, which is pretty anonymous, and you can probably tell them your situation. you can also use email; but if you're concerned about anonymity, you would have to use a different email account than your regular account. I am sure that you are not the first student to be in your situation, and I am also sure that they will want to help! Good luck, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

17. laloski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just another little update, so I was outed today in front of my roommates... during a tarot card reading... it was awkward and I panicked a little but I chose not to hide and just be like yeah guys I'm gay. They were like we knew it so I guess it was ok.

18. trucker77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sigh

im 40 and still haven't come out to any of my straight friends. I managed to tell gay friends and they are really cool.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a good first step. You can achieve anything but it's a good idea to go at your own pace

20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

did the tarot cards announce that you're gay? (this is a serious question)