Depression over the holidays

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Alive, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Alive

I don't feel any positive emotions anymore so its a struggle to be around people who are having a fun time and I can't feel it. I don't want to ruin the fun and its tiring to put a smile on my face 24/7 for the family and friends.
    Any advice on getting through the holidays with depression?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Don't force or push yourself to be happy.
    Do things you enjoy, like hobbies or just relaxing.
    Not too much time with others but also not only with yourself.
    A combination of both may be clever.
    But most important, do things you yourself do enjoy. Or even try out sth new.
    Finding new hobbies, interests.....
    Hope that helped. Good luck:slight_smile:

3. Alive

Thanks! I'll try that

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Oh and also important is the pure fact of doing something.
    Don't let yourself hide in your room, doing nothing, staring at the wall or sth.
    Keep yourself busy but not too busy.
    Well yea:slight_smile: Good luck:grin:

5. Manta

Find something fun and relaxing to do that could take you away from all the noise and crowd. Going swimming or to a caffe or bookstore are some of my favorite things. Even when not depressed I think it's important to make time for yourself to recharge your batteries and take a breath. I'm also an introvert though.

6. Glendorien

I had depressions during the last christmas season and a thing that helpd me was doing stuff I like befor I was with my family. The happines of the thing I did earlyer helpd a lot. One thing I want to try this year is to writte down one thing per day that makes me happy (could be the smallest things, e.g. a very tasty coffee or so) and read this papers when it gets harder.

7. Calix

A good tip if you have a dog maybe is when you need space away just take it for a walk. It'll let you get some fresh air and be away from people.

8. Alive

thanks you guys this is all really helpful :slight_smile:

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The kids might be having a fun time, but for most adults this is a very stressful time of year, depressed or not. I personally dread it because despite my best intentions I usually sink into a narky and bleak depressive state over Christmas / New Year period. My natural family will be all together, celebrating, while I, the 'black sheep' of the family, will be excluded, as has been the case for about the last 20 years. Well, at least we get to choose our friends...just not our god-forsaken family.

So don't worry about being the only miserable person at this time of year. I just try to organize things that will cheer myself up over that time. Make sure I've got nice food at home, some good movies for distraction, etc. It's really only a few days that it seems like everyone else is together having fun, while we sit alone, miserable. Then it's thankfully all over for another year.

Today I'm actually feeling ok, so please take some of mine; wherever you are in the world, I sincerely wish to send you some happiness. We are all interconnected by subtle strands of energy anyway, so I actually think such things are possible. :slight_smile:

#9 Damien, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  10. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I HATE pretending to be happy in front of my family and friends. Luckily my parents work 24/7 so I have a lot of alone time where I can let it out and just sit and do nothing. Or draw. Or write letters. Which I never give to the people I'm writing to. Just, find a place where you can be alone and think.