1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long is your commute?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 17, 2014.

1. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    20-35 minutes. Depends on traffic.

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    25 minutes and I hate it! Next quarter I will have only 1 hour of classes on Monday and Friday.... gonna be fun to commute 50 minutes total to go to 1 hour of class. I know 25 minutes isn't terrible though compared to some. My dad commutes about 45 minutes there and back.

3. TraceElement

It usually takes me 20-25 minutes each way depending on how dumb other people are driving.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ug. I hate my commute. It wastes so much of my life, is filled with aggressive traffic, and is very stressful, as my vision is not great. It's about 70 minutes there, and 60 minutes back, pending no accidents/delays. Traffic in the Baltimore/DC/Northern VA area is horrible; I have been looking for a closer job for some years now, but no luck so far, and it's way too expensive to live where I work, close to DC.

One can only listen to so much music, hear so many audio books, absorb so much NPR before you start to go a bit crazy. It very much wears me out, and I hope to one day not have to drive at all; this has made me hate cars, I wish there was better mass transit. Via mass transit, the overall commute would be 5 hours, given it's current state.

Of all the things in my life that make me depressed to the point of hopelessness, like I'm just some cog in a meaningless wheel, this commute looms large among them, and many have been the day when with other pressures bearing down, lack of money, lack of time, constantly stiff muscles and headaches, I have thought often how easy it would be to must swerve over a guardrail, and put an end to it, finally.

#24 HuskyPup, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on mode of transport. By car, it's about 20 minutes. By bike, it's about an hour. I prefer by bike, because it actually helps me wake up more, and I feel better throughout the day.

6. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually leave home around 8:30, catch the bus at 8:45-8:55 (it is scheduled for 45, but runs late often), and get to school around 9:00-9:05. Getting home depends on the day. T/TH I'm usually out around 5:00, and the bus leaves at 5:20 and gets me to my stop at 5:35. M/W I'm out around 6:05-6:15 (class ends at 6:20, but the professor never holds us that long) and catch the bus at 6:25. F I get out at 12:20 and have to kill time for about an hour until the 1:10 bus arrives (my bus line only runs once an hour). It isn't all that bad if you get used to waiting and find ways to kill time. I don't have to pay fare, either.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes me 10-15 minutes to drive to school, but I can't drive on my own yet, so I usually have to catch the bus from my mother's work, taking it up to about 40 minutes (of which ten are spent waiting for the right bus).

8. beyourself

beyourself Guest

I just need 20 minutes with the bus

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I live on campus, so most of my classes are within a 10-15 minute walking distance (except for south campus, where my psych. classes are, which requires campus bus transport which is only about ten minutes).

My previous job was half-hour long commute by train to and from.

10. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    For 40 minutes to go by bus, I wouldn't even bother driving. Not really necessary, and the first world obsession with das auto is a horrible thing.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were I to go by bus alone instead of having a lift with my mother, it'd be an hour or more; buses come at terribly inconvenient times for a relatively short route.

Also, given I like to study in the mornings and do all the petty homework, it is a waste of time.

12. TheStormInside

About 2.5 seconds? I'm really lucky, and it's a short walk from my bedroom to my little home office.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, I wish I had a commute like these short ones. It's hard to say the toll the one I have has/is taking on me, but you have to have a job to live, and so...maybe, one day, if I live that long, things will be different. I think it's having done it for so many years, that the weight of it feels so crushing, whereas I thought this would just be a 'temporary' job, and I'd find a closer one in a few months, as opposed to almost a decade. I get so scared, driving, and also have an old car that always needs something, has a pretty wobbly suspension, needs new struts, tie-rods, this, that, the other...I wish there were better options, more money, more demand for people like me, something.

#33 HuskyPup, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  14. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Roughly an hour. Walk > tube > walk.

15. TheStormInside

That sounds really rough, HuskyPup :frowning2:. I had a temp job for about 3 months that had a 1.5 to 2hr commute in both directions, and I couldn't take it even for that brief time period. If you aren't already, can you dedicate some time every week to job searching for something closer?

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It usually takes me between 10-20 minutes to get between school and home, depending on traffic and how many red lights I hit. My route does take me over a train track, and if a train comes (or sometimes two in opposite directions at the same time) all bets are off.

17. Jethro702

Hmm... On a good traffic day around 15 mins to get to school or work.... if its bad usually double the time.

18. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

40 minutes on the bus each way. I either read a book or a Metro paper so its all good.

19. joshtheangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on whether there's traffic or not, whether the bus is held up by trains etc.

20. Chelski

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around 20 minutes. I leave roughly around 05:30am and without fail turns my volume up loud in my car, I finds it puts me in a good mood :slight_smile:

But when I come to a stop at traffic lights I always get a funny look when singing...