1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does wearing pride stuff really work and let others know your gay ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Nov 15, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I actually saw a bracelet that has two female symbols on it I want to buy it , I was wondering if girls would know I'm lesbian .

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Three words!

Rainbow Paracord Bracelet

No idea if it works, but if i saw it on someone, i'd defo know what was happening.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

what would be the equivalent for a guy to wear to send a subtle signal? wearing any kind of bracelet would not be subtle. but something that would send the message "I'm in the closet and want to come out" LOL (well, actually I'm serious but that's a nervous laugh). really, I am wondering what I could wear that at least raises the question, or that a like minded soul might notice and reach out

4. joshtheangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Two guys at school wear little rainbow flag badges on their uniform, I would like to get a rainbow wristband :slight_smile:

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I've known of. I always wear a rainbow GSA bracelet and no one ever seems to notice it.

But I bet some people do notice and just don't say anything about it...

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I use a Hello Kitty wallet and that usually gets some comments when I take it out. People who know me just seem to think that I'm quirky or funny. People who don't know me might think I'm gay, but don't say anything. But maybe if the right person sees it, they might ask. and I guess that's why we leave these little clues. sometimes my wife teases me about my preference for pink, rainbows, and hello kitty (I even have hello kitty pillow cases) but either she doesn't want to bring it up in a serious way or doesn't know how or doesn't see what she doesn't want to see or isn't prepared to see. life is funny. :bang:

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well my personal opinion is that people in the know notice...
    and i would an armband not connect with closet but a sign that its probably a gay person...

and how subtle you want to be is up to you...
    you might have a look at shops that sell rainbow accessoires... like rings, bands, etc...

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Well my personal opinion is that people in the know notice...
    and i would an armband not connect with closet but a sign that its probably a gay person...

and how subtle you want to be is up to you...
    you might have a look at shops that sell rainbow accessoires... like rings, bands, etc...[/QUOTE]

thanks, I'll see if I can find any shops like that on the internet. I've checked amazon, but they really don't have a lot of choices

9. 741852963

I think:

-If you are a man and wear the pride logo - there will definitely be a presumption that you are gay, the vast majority will assume this (99.9% of people!) (even if you are in fact bisexual or just an ally)
    -If you are a woman and wear the pride logo - I think the majority of people (say 70% of people) will presume you are a lesbian or bi. The rest will just think you like rainbows or cute things.

Ultimately rainbows in our society are treated as very much a "feminine symbol" (probably harking back to childhood toys/media featuring unicorns and rainbows, or the fact it's fancy or contains pink) much like the colour pink so there is going to be less ambiguity when men wear it and more when women wear it.

Its part of the reason I favour a lot more unisex symbols like the Equals logo and personally dislike the Rainbow Flag - the Equals is neither especially masculine or feminine. It feels more fitting to a wider range of gay people, as well as bisexuals and other sexualities as it does not bring gender into the equation (get it?! Equation?! I'll get my coat :lol:slight_smile:.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a Stonewall charity t-shirt with the slogan Some people are gay, get over it emblazoned across the front. Do you think people might guess from that? :icon_bigg

11. C P

C P

It's not something I usually pay attention to anyways so I don't really recall seeing anyone with said stuff but, if I see it, I think I'd at least associate the person with being lgbt friendly. Not that I'd say anything still... .-.

I would pay $$$ to have something like the bolded, even if I don't think I'd be brave enough to actually wear it. :icon_redf

[​IMG]

12. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I've never tried that but I'd love to wear this symbol: http://i.imgur.com/vUtWsXb.png on me somewhere~ Maybe a necklace or a badge :3

13. topher85

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i had been wondering what i could wear to hint that im not straight, some of these are good ideas, i like blues and purples pretty good, so perhaps ill go find something purple to wear.

14. C P

C P

Aren't blue and purple two of the colors on the bi pride flag?(I noticed your orientation and that popped in mind; it also seems they are). I mean I'm not too familiar if they have little trinkets around based around that, but it does seem like that'd come in handy seeing as you like those colors, heh. .-.

15. topher85

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ha yea they are, i didnt even think much about it when i posted that, so that works out well. haha

16. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear a simple rainbow dog tag most of the time (the one in my profile pic). So far I have had 3 people ask about it.
    The first was a gay guy who saw it, let me know he recognized it, and started a conversation (turned out he had a bf).

Second was a straight guy at work. He saw me wearing it routinely and asked about it. I told him and he has pretty much avoided me since.

Third was last time I went out. I went to a karaoke bar that wasn't really busy. There was a couple there and I was checking the guy out (only cute guy there). At first I think his gf thought I was looking at her. Finally she noticed my necklace and asked me to dance. After confirming her bf wouldn't get mad I accepted. The first thing she asked was "are you gay?". I said yes. That lead her to telling me that she was bi and inviting me to start doing karaoke at the local gay bar (unfortunately on a night i always work).

I'm pretty sure that a couple guys, that I also noticed were wearing rainbows, have noticed it. They never said anything about it, but I'm sure that they saw it.

So I would say that it does work. It's not like a flashing light and a siren, but it does work.

17. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a rainbow bracelet I made for Pride, it's pretty much the only jewellery-type thing I ever wear. One person asked about it, but in general people don't really. It doesn't really bother me, I just wear it because I like it.

18. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the exact necklace I wear. Until the chain broke I tucked the dog tag that says "love" down the back of my shirt (the necklace has a clap that will not allow you to remove it). After the necklace broke I simply didn't put the new one on my new necklace (a random piece of red wire I had). Be careful the original necklace is cheap so your neck will be green.

http://www.spencersonline.com/product/c-double-rainbow-love-dogtag/

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Thanks, Redneck, that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out. I just need some more "conversation starters" and to hang out where those conversations can start!

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your wearing it in your profile picture too