EU Citizens and others: Open Borders

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Nov 15, 2014.

1. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I imagine eventually, long, long after we have all passed away eventually there will be a central world government.

2. RedFireFly

Open borders are great, but can be risky

3. edgy

edgy Guest

I really don't know what Europe's situation is

I probably don't care but I have a feeling England (the UK) is going to have a fit especially with Ebola present

4. Except they're way more calm about than the U.S.

---------- Post added 15th Nov 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

I think the best solution is to set free migration agreements with countries like Mexico, China, Central America, and Vietnam, where most of our immigrants come from. If a lot of them will be coming anyway, make it slightly easier.

5. Harve

I'm absolutely in favour of freedom of movement as a human rights principle. If immigration brought a net loss in economic terms then for me it would be a difficult question of sacrificing a right everybody should have in favour of better development. Buttt in its current state in the UK and most other countries with net immigration, it unquestionably doesn't, so it's no bother. :grin:

6. timo

Very much in favour. I'm actually making use of it next month as I'm moving to Germany.

7. 741852963

Perhaps its similar to how Chinatowns started - at present they are just smack bang in the middle of ordinary shops/in the middle of the community.

Now I definitely prefer having them to having empty derelict shops, but it is at least somewhat disconcerting not being able to understand languages being spoken in your hometown, or being able to read signs in shop windows. It does feel quite standoffish. Perhaps its a lack of confidence in their language abilities, but I'd reckon if they are capable of moving to a foreign country, gaining residency and setting up a business they must have fairly decent English skills.

I would like to see more integration as you do feel a bit like a strange guest sometimes. You can go to a shop and not hear a lick of English, say "hello" to a stranger and be blanked. Its a bit of a shame.

I think thats part of the problem. Foreign language tuition in UK schools is poor and will always be limited to French, German and Spanish (Mandarin or Cantonese if the school is especially progressive).

Given the majority of immigrants aren't from these regions (instead from Eastern Europe and Western Asia) it leaves people without the tools to communicate - only the bilingual immigrant can decide if they want to integrate (the onus rests with them). Its difficult as well as languages like Czech and Polish are especially difficult for adult learners to pick up without thorough tutoring so its not like UK residents can quickly "get involved" in matters.

Exactly:

[YOUTUBE]The difference between US vs UK Ebola news coverage - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

:lol:

8. LiquidSwords

Middle class guardian readers love it because they get their plumbing done cheap but they don't care as much about wage inflation for the low paid and things like this as much as they say they do. People who have cosy jobs and cosy homes criticizing lazy british workers for not taking jobs they know there's no fucking way they'd ever touch are the worst. I did a year part time in domino's pizza and the conditions are terrible, that anyone could consider that as a full time occupation is ridiculous, but they get away with it because immigrants from poorer countries are prepared to put up with it and this is the west country ffs

The idea of a single market with free trade and free movement is pretty neoliberal it's funny how support has shifted from mainly the right to mainly the left since the beginning

People who have absolutely no issue with free movement in an ever expanding EU presumably would have no issue with free movement into britain from any country in the world??

9. El Extranjero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I think it's great. Though, I can understand why some people might take issue with the complete absence of restrictions given what we've been hearing in the press, particularly with regard to Romania and Bulgaria.
    That being said, I like that we have the ability to move freely from one country to the next over here, with virtually no hassle. I've been lucky enough to move to Spain for a year and I'm going to be moving to England next year and it's basically as simple as just booking a flight.
    Also, from a cultural point of view, it's fantastic. I live in a town with a large Polish immigrant population and have become good friends with a number of them. I've learned a lot from them about their country and culture that I would otherwise never have known.
    On the more serious side, I don't think an open border policy would be right for the U.S., and probably Australia too, (even though I'd like for there to be one), it would likely be disastrous. At the same time, I don't think Europe could function without this system, it would essentially defeat one of the fundamental purposes of the Union.

10. 741852963

Speaking on Romanian immigrants though I am absolutely sick of the ubiquitous accordion playing granny beggars now on every major town's highstreet. I wouldn't mind except they only seem to know how to play one utterly depressing song - I now have a set theme tune for whenever I go shopping! They could at least learn Wonderwall for a bit of variety! :lol:

I preferred the panpipe players - whatever happened to them?

11. Harve

It doesn't have to be exploitative. Labour rights are a different issue in that the solution here isn't to take away freedom of movement.

But single markets are neoliberal for sure - it's why the Green party and Sinn Féin are Eurosceptic to an extent.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love it. Because of that, I can easily go to other places, even work there and live there for some time. That's exactly what I'm planning to do. Ideal would be living in Sweden, while working and me/my boyfriend attending university there (it's free - at least muuuuch cheaper than here). Being able to settle easily in various countries is perfect for me. =)

I wish I could go easily to the US and the other way round. Being able to live and work there without issues. It will probably not happen, but one can dream, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. LiquidSwords

Well yeah labour rights should be protected by legislation but free movement does impact working conditions. The more workers that can potentially be employed and the more who are prepared to put up with shitty conditions, the more the market is biased to employers instead of workers and market pressure really is what will make working conditions better.

Yeah a single market across borders creates a race to the bottom with employment rights I'm not sure I like the idea of free trade across the atlantic. It's not like I want to bring back corn laws but I think we have to be careful with stuff like this. I mean employment legislation in the US is pretty shit compared to france or even uk.

Yes, I like that the green party is more eurosceptic than the libdems. People like Tony Benn and Bob Crow were very anti EU too so it's not just a thing for the right.