1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU Citizens and others: Open Borders

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Open borders is exactly what it sounds like, free migration through borders. Little to no requirements to cross a border, just a passport and some money for transportation. Migrants use this to seek better job opportunities. This is like people moving through U.S states for better opportunities. I know for sure that the European Union have open borders and the love for them is slightly fading.

Overall, how do you guys feel about open borders, especially EU citizens since you guys live in countries that opened their borders to each other?

I've heard that ever since the travel restrictions for Romanian and Bulgarians have been lifted, people aren't so happy. I've also heard the UKIP and other far-right parties in EU are upset because either their culture will disappear, low-skilled jobs are being taken by them which leaves others unemployed, and/or their social security services will be strained.

The U.S should definitely have some sort of an open borders policy. When people complain about "illegal immigration," I think the only solution is to relax our immigration laws to pre-1880s era when everybody except for criminals were allowed to come. This was the time when undocumented immigration was never an issue since our country's border was wide open. We turned out just fine with that system. I find that the slight hostility to the Romanians and Bulgarians migrating to Western and Northern Europe similar to Latin Americans coming to the U.S and Canada.

2. Hexagon

In favour of open borders. But I doubt that surprises anyone.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support open borders, at least within Europe for the time being.

4. Yosia

I like them.

5. Ryujin

Screw borders

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

No issues in the main - although what does need to be curbed and dealt with is the influx of illegal immigrants.

#6 gazwkd, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  7. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The more, the merrier.

8. TheBigGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been looking into this recently. As well as allowing people in the EU and Switzerland (they're separate for some reason) to travel easily and with little requirements between EU countries, it also makes immigrating between EU countries really easy as well.

People like UKIP in the UK (more formally known as 'prats') think that this makes it easier for migrant workers to come into the country and steal people's jobs. *sigh* (The leader of UKIP, for those not in Britain or who don't know, hires his German wife as his secretary, I might add..) It is, however, just as possible under these open borders, for British people (for example) to go to another EU country and do the same thing; UKIP, and parties like them, don't seem to mind this quite so much.

So, live in the UK and wanna move to... um.... Slovenia? Fine; grab yourself a visa and a bit of money to support yourself and off you go!

You are even entitled, again using Britain as an example, to claim certain British benefits even if you're living outside of the UK for an extended period of time. But no parties like UKIP ever provide this as a reason for coming out of the EU, because Lithuanian immigrants are so much more of a threat... *le sigh*

Personally, I'm seriously a fan of open borders in the EU. It opens up so many possibilities to experience and live in different parts of the world, and the different cultures that make them up. I'm only disappointed that many people, in England at least, don't even know that they can use it...

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally support.

There have been issues with the integration and settlement of people in some countries, but that is no excuse for the UK governments current position (to seek ways to impose a 'brake' on free movement). As usual the UK Conservative Party resorts to shotgun diplomacy and attempts to dictate terms to everyone else, instead of building alliances and working with our EU partners to find a way forward.

10. I think this is similar to Mexican and Central American immigration to the U.S. Unfortunately, the U.S has somewhat of a reason to fear them (violent drug cartels). But it's sad to see people generalizing Latino immigrants for that.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very strongly opposed for the US. We cannot have unlimited, unchecked immigration--too much security risk, and too much risk of a dramatic, sudden increase in population depleting our resources and infrastructure.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in open borders. One need only look at the economic data of countries like Britain, Italy, and France to see that immigrants from the less prosperous regions of Europe and other parts of the world contribute quite a lot to the countries they decide to work in.

Free borders and free trade are healthy where things and people are registered and monitored. And I think most of Europe has been doing that rather well.

13. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's great, it's really convenient to say the least. It's not just in the EU, too, you can go to Switzerland and Norway without going through a checkpoint. Now if they all used the same currency, drove on the same side of the street, and had the same electrical sockets, that would really be convenient.

To be honest I've always felt the poor souls with the gumption to move to another country to improve their lot deserve a chance. Some of the stuff that happens to them is really tragic and inhuman (both people trying to get into the EU and people trying to get into the US).

I've always thought it's unfair of me to deny the advantages I have to others just because they were born in the wrong place. I'm sort of a "there but for the grace of God go I" kind of person.

14. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, I think most of the world should have an open border policy. Restricting where people are allowed to live is ridiculous

15. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

At this point in time, worldwide open borders would be a very dangerous thing.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm against opening the USA's borders. In terms of Europe, I suppose that is their choice. It makes sense within the European Union, somewhat, but if people don't like it then idk.

17. 741852963

I think we would benefit from some restriction, and from better monitoring of who is coming into the country.

I have zero problem with immigrants who come into the country, find work and pay taxes (as I personally know a few who do this). Unfortunately though we do have a stupidly large amount who end up sneaking under the radar and into our benefits system - contributing nothing. I'm no UKIP supporter (far from it) but you cannot accuse them of entirely scare-mongering on this one. In my community we have a proportion of immigrants (mostly Polish and Hungarian) who are working, and a proportion who are just dossers (scroungers) who can be seen walking round drinking from bottles of vodka on the streets all day everyday (not a pleasant sight let me tell you!). I say if they can't find work after 12 months, ask them to leave for a period. We have enough of our own residents milking the benefits system!

I think integration is another issue. I do find those who tend to choose not to integrate quite annoying. Take Polish shops for example (my tiny town has four last time I counted, and thats excluding the other specialty shops!). I think it would be a nice idea given they are so prominent on the high street for them to be more welcoming and accessible to people originally from the area (have bilingual signage for example!). Not only would it boost their business, but it would also help calm tensions in the area (stopping the likes of UKIP, BNP and the EDL running riot).

To play devil's advocate on that one, the UK does have a lot more to offer than the states people are emigrating from. Yes a UK resident has the ability to move to Poland, Slovenia, Romania - but why would they? There are far more states in the EU that can benefit from the UK than the other way round - its an uneven trade in that respect.

And since at least the 80s the UK has essentially been the "capital" for illegal immigrants - skipping through the similarly prosperous states of Germany and France to get to Calais and into the UK. I've always wondered why this is - do people see the UK as a soft touch? Do they view Germany and France in such negative light? Is it to do with the language barriers? Answers on a postcard!

---------- Post added 15th Nov 2014 at 02:56 PM ----------

Well, the choice of the EU! God knows how most of the decisions there are thought up and implemented.

#17 741852963, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  18. Maybe that's a problem for European countries where the population tends to be more homogeneous than countries like the U.S, Canada, and Australia. I think your scenario is like a "Polishtown." It's like in Chinatown for us, half of the signs don't have bilingual translation and since I'm illiterate in Chinese, I only go there with my parents.

I'd figure that since EU students learn many different languages, I thought EU states wouldn't mind....

19. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Integration is huge issue in the UK. Part of the problem sometimes stems from the issue of foreign values not fitting in with the country people move to which causes friction in communities.

20. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I meant that as more of a goal to work towards, opening all the borders now would be a nightmare