Things Fall Apart

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Water lover, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Water lover

Water lover Guest

This book is incredibly lgbt oriented. Even though it's main topic isn't. It talks about what it means to be a man and how effemine things should be destroyed(only out of fear of appearing weak (hmm)). Then the main character isn't sexual attracted to he wives. It has a couple of chapters about self acceptance. The main character is always struggling with appearing to be a man and is overcompensating. I just read this book in school surprisingly enough and mabye two kids picked up on these themes but the teacher kept going on and on about them but be et revered to them by name. She even talked about gay marrage and acceptance insuring this book but no one managed to put the connections together. If your still in the process of coming out to your self or others this is a great book. You have to look deep behind the characters motivations otherwise it comes off a bit homophobic but once you really realize what is going on you'll love it. Honastly in school it is probably the most important book I have ever read.

#1 Water lover, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  2. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Um... did we read the same book? I read that a few weeks ago for the SECOND time, and picked up no nuances of gay-oriented themes. I read the story of a tragic hero who succumbs to his own pride. But I guess the underlying messages are up for debate; I'll take your word for their existence. I prefer not to analyze the novel more than I already have (never really liked it in the first place). :confused:

3. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I loved this book, but didn't pick up on any of these things. I was still denying my sexuality, so maybe I'll readit again. Great book. Author recently passed away