1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinny problems?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Celatus, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anybody else hate being a scrawny twig? My genetics do not make me feel particularly good and I'm too self conscious to go to the gym. Also, I don't seem to have the self confidence and commitment to work out. Even if I did, I'd just look like a wiry twig lol. And gaining weight is very hard lol. I'm around 145 pounds at 6 foot 1inches...and I kinda hate it. I envy those guys with the full faces :/

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I've always been "underweight", currently 110 and 5'4". I have found doing martial arts has got me muscle and helped me avoid the gym (guess I'm still a little anxious about it). I didn't really think much about it until I started getting some compliments from friends and family. That was a pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

3. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Trans guy, 5'3", and hovering between 99 and 101 pounds; apparently, that is borderline underweight. I'm very slender - which is great for me, as it lends me an air of androgyny - and I've got slight cheekbones, which quickly disappear when I smile. Trust me, chubby cheeks are NOT fun. If you have them, prepare for frequent familial face pinches, as well as many (good-natured) jibes and pokes from friends. :dry:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to, but that had more to do with friends and family constantly putting me down and pressuring me to eat more. I'm naturally thin, and working on putting on a little more muscle, but don't feel the subconscious need to become a bodybuilder or strong man anymore. I'm also attracted to guys with slim, twinky builds. :wink:

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just wait 10 years, I bet it changes. LOL.

6. Alyss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am older than OP- I am 30. But also at 6 feet I am around 144 lbs. So very skinny and also look very young (people think I am 20 yo). Have problem with weight gain and with absorb large meals. Almost every male I meet is heavier than me.

However in our western culture other males (normal build or muscle build) and also many women dont threat me seriously.

So being skinny male really sucks.

7. Isa

Isa

Yup, 5ft10 and really skinny here, just look at the picture. Also 30+... It's been a curse all my life!

8. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't gain a single ounce through eating, (trust me, I'm a black hole when it comes to food) since my metabolism is so outrageous, but I've been gaining muscle for the past few years due to my biking and now working as a package handler, as well as working out at home.

9. shinji

shinji Guest

Pushups, situps and lots of milk and otherwise protein rich foods.

10. Alyss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I am skinnier than you :slight_smile:

Really if I meet man who is thinner than me he is either very young or suffers from disease...

11. bisexualgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Heyo :slight_smile: Firstly, be happy!! Putting on weight is easier than shedding pounds so you've got easier work cut out for you. Although it's not exactly painless, I hope my tips will help. Make sure you eat enough every day and have a balanced diet. Your body needs the nutrition to grow stronger. Next, avoid doing too much cardio like running, biking, or swimming as those help you to lose fat which isn't what you want. I know how you feel about being self conscious and not having motivation to go to the gym. Well I used to be unmotivated and self conscious because I was slightly overweight, but it's actually all in your mind. It sounds stupid but remind yourself of your goal for your body and muster up the courage to go to the gym. It gets easier every time you try! (For example, I'm not overweight anymore :slight_smile: ) If you're having motivational problems, you could play some music while you work out, ask a friend to go with you, or again, remind yourself of your goals. Once you get to the gym, work on weight training and muscle building to improve your body. Excersises such as leg lifts, sit ups, crunches, lunges, bicep curles, tricep dips, and shoulder lifts are all helpful. You can search google to learn how to do them. I hope I've helped and all the best :slight_smile:

12. ForeverYoung000

I agree with bisexualgirl

Also, I'm a little taller than you but weigh more. I have a thin body so whatever and how much I eat, regardless I never gain weight...something about good anabolism/metabolism?? Xc

13. bornthiswaybby

ugh having chubby cheeks is terrible. there's nothing worse than going on a date (yes, a date) and having your cheeks pinched (seriously, it has happened multiple times). my biggest insecurity.

14. Sorceress of Az

Omg, Yes
    its hard to find clothes that fit and are not baggy.

I hate being thin.

15. AKTodd

So, I'm very much the opposite of you (stocky build and can inhale deeply over a plate of cupcakes and gain 5 pounds) but have been working out since college. Some thoughts and suggestions:

a) I knew a guy like you in college (friend of a friend). Really tall and skinny. Then he started taking a weightlifting class. One day we were at his dorm room getting ready to go out and he changed shirts. Holy crap! The dude had pecs and abs and some really nice shoulders going on. Yeah, he was still thin - but he was wiry and he was definitely packing some muscle. So it can happen, even for skinny guys.

b) You're 17 - if you are going to college, consider taking a weightlifting class as one of your electives. You get college credit for going to the gym, there are set class periods so you have some incentive to go, and there are goals so you have something to work toward. You also need to go outside of class time, but think of it as homework. It'll get you started and also teach you the basics on proper form, using the weights and machines correctly, etc. And they give you college credit for it.

c) While it won't really turn you into a tower of muscle, you could also look at physical activities that promote fitness and have definite milestones you can measure your progress against. Running marathons or swimming X many laps or miles or the like. It may or may not make you look obviously more muscular, but if you can run 20 some miles, you are definitely in good shape. And the standards of physical beauty around those sports don't just all focus on muscle size (although a 'swimmers build' is often considered a baseline physical standard of beauty in many circles).

d) Coming at this from another direction, as resu suggests, martial arts is another way to get in shape and gives you a built in measuring scale of progress. Again, you may not get obviously big muscles from it - but if you can pretty much fold, spindle, and mutilate someone with a lot more muscle then you, that may not matter as much. If you do decide to look at martial arts do some research and look around for a style that fits your build and a club/school/instructor who will motivate you while also making it enjoyable.

Hope this helps,

Todd

16. Images and Words

I feel you're pain. I weigh 6 stone. All my friends weigh at least 10. I also refuse to go to the gym, because of the fact that i'm scrawny as f:***: and wouldn't be able to stay without being awkward... f:***: social anxiety

17. Dionysus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you lack the confidence to go to a gym, you can exercise at home perfectly well. I'd recommend buying small-ish dumbbells to work on your biceps, and regular push-ups, and practice with both until your muscles ache. Do these exercises at least once a week (some planking or crunches couldn't hurt either) and you should notice a definite difference before long.

Also, high protein foods sre essential if you want to build a bit of muscle.

18. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much guys! Haha it's great to know I'm not the only guy who feels this way...
    I'll try to muster up the motivation to work out :slight_smile:

19. Images and Words

I would work out at home... but I have a computer and HiFi at home.

20. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol ikr? So distracting haha