1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like being a woman... But want to be a man too?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Anothersuitcase, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Anothersuitcase

TDLR: sometimes I love being a woman, sometimes I want to be a man, sometimes I wish gender and sex didn't exist at all. What even is this???

LONG POST (I have a tendency to write long posts when I'm confused about something. Sry lol):

Most of the time I like being a woman and identify as female without any issue (though I have been told by many people that I have a number of masculine personality traits). Only, when I actually sat down and thought about it carefully the other day (after catching myself j an odd thought of envy over "another man's body"--that was the thought. I wated my arms to look like his), I realized that that wasn't quite true. When I picture myself with a woman, it's as a man, and when I picture myself with a man, it's as a woman... But not classically? Like, female body male attitude and role (not submissive at all)? I also like hanging with male and female friends equally, and get really annoyed when social groups try and split off into gendered groups (unless there is another clear reason for the split unrelated to gender). Oh, and I approach anything resembling dating or idk.. Bar style situations like a dude (approaching people, buying flowers, making sure female friends get home safe), and have been called out by people for approaching situations (like walking home alone at night) like I am a dude, not a girl.

But... I LOVE stereotypically girly things like frills and aprons and doing my nails and art and all that too. And I love my body and its curves, and often am totally content just wanderinf around my apartmet naked when I'm alone. And I don't feel uncomfortable with being a girl... Except (I had always assumed) with the limitations of what being a girl means in society.

Yet, when I think of the superhero movies I am fond of and love imagining myself as part of (don't laugh lol), it is always as one of the male heros. Not like I'm in a man's body, not exactly, but... Everything else is the same. Like, exact same role and physical ability and personality etc. I almost *never* identify with the female characters (with two notable exceptions: both are characters in books who, like me, are tall, powerfully built, in positions of command and leadership, and who are way more interested in that then in any relationships). I had always figured that it was an issue of identifying as a complex commanding leader character--a role not often given to women. Again, I had always just assumed that this was a feminist frustration at the limitation of characterizations available to women... But, do women who also have these frustrations actually picture themselves not just in male roles, but *as men* too?

I do like being a woman, and would easily say with 100% surety I'm not interested in changing that... But I also regularly picture myself as a dude, and a couple times a week lfeel jealous/picture myself with a dude's body. But I also do the same thing with more in shape/beautiful female bodies? And some times I picture myself as having no gender at all??

I get really annoyed when people treat me like a girl (especially guys trying to hit on me--I hate being at the receiving end of any behavior that feels like it's gender specific. HATE IT) and am unquestionably assertive, blunt, and aggressive... While also being supportive, sensitive, and kind. I've had a few friends comment that it really throws them because I'm more "like a guy" then most guys.

Again... I do not feel uncomfortable in my body... But I do wish that either my body being male or female didnt matter, or that I could... Idk... Switch between bodies sometimes? I mean, for a visual perspective, when I picture attending formal events like dances and stuff it is always as a stunning woman (lol) in a ballgown, but when I picture myself going to a meeting it is as though I'm a dashing man in a suit (think Neal Caffery from White Collar)... NOT as a woman in a suit (except maybe high heels. Love high heels).

And day to day... Some days I wander around in a t-shirt and jeans and sneakers and mostly just think how annoying it is that my boobs are making the shirt half strangle me (because t-shirts are not cut for chicks with knockers) and how I wish I had broad shoulders like my male friends, but other days I'm all super feminine and girly with floaty skirts and bows in my hair and am really jealous of the slender waists and long hair of some of my female friends. :/

Oh, and it pisses me off when people are taller than me--part of why I love heels: I'm 6'2" in them and love looking male friends in the eyes

What the fuck is up with me????

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2014 at 08:14 PM ----------

And sometimes I realize I use horribly sexist and stereotypical descriptions for things *headdesk*

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Look up bigender, and genderfluid.

And then choose genderfluid and we can be genderfluid buddies :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Alisa Arwen

Wow.

Some of these resonate with me. The way I wish to B
    express gender is context dependent it seems.

Bigender or gender fluid. Could be me.

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I'm kinda like this too however I believe it was the way I was raised. For example, I had dolls when I was a kid and I loved them, but I also had a lot of gender neutral educational toys too... this was the 1960s so God bless my mom for having this sort of focus for her children. My brother (just a year older than I was) was all into science and we would be doing science experiments together... he taught me how to play chess... he would also iron my hair and once put it in curlers lol!! This was my childhood.

I differ in that I've never really wished I was a guy except for when I feel like I am being (like you say too) discriminated against. I like being strong, fit and capable, but I dont like muscle/definition on myself. Ive never wished I had a mans body. I don't view caring for others safety as being like a man. When I am being vulnerable and soft I feel that I am most "myself".

The way that I dress is pretty neutral on the girly side... Idk I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel that Ive integrated into my own persona what society deeems male and female but I've decidedly stayed on the side of feminine.

I loved your post... its how I think that everyone should be free to be...just... human.

5. Alisa Arwen

To explain more. I am content with being a man, and behaving as such. I am not however a typical western male. Sports are of no interest. My personality is sensitive and introspective. I have a compassionate side of me that people might consider not to be masculine. This doesn't necessarily change my gender, but I am not the ordinary for males.
    However, among certain male friends I would not even think of being feminine in behaviour or appearance and can banter with the best.

On the other hand I love getting flowers and cuddly toys from my girlfriend. When I am with her I can get girlishly giggly, talk with a higher feminine voice, and really want to wear dresses and boots and high heels.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  7. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Oh interesting emilysomething. I thought you were a woman.... your post (to me) read as though it was a woman expressing it.

8. Alisa Arwen

Really? Was it the context or the content?

It would be great to talk to someone with similar feelings about these things.

#8 Alisa Arwen, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. Alisa Arwen

And to the OP - you sound like a human being wanting to express themselves. Most natural thing in the world :slight_smile:

10. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I'm sorry... I'm confused lol I thought you were the OP for some reason... I think lack of sleep. Sorry about that!

11. LuvToSwitchBods

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes I wish I could
    switch bodies with a woman.

12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could have written all of that some time ago...

13. Mr Spock

In my own opinion, you sound to me as though you are a woman that is tired of sexism and traditional gender roles. I don't really hear you expressing many desires to transition to the opposite gender (like genitalia, hair, body dysphoria, etc.), and I actually feel as though you are expressing comfort in your body but discomfort with the box society puts you in as a female. So although I wouldn't out and out call you trans, I would encourage you to do whatever you want regardless of others genderized expectations and to consider exploring your gender and not feel boxed in or like you're stuck with only male and female. When you are comfortable, label yourself, but don't let anyone else stick you in a box.