1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Well Do You Take Compliments?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Weekender

Compliments don't tend to have much of an impact on me. It's not that I don't like receiving them or anything of that nature. They just roll right off of me, like water off a duck's back -- if that makes any sense whatsoever -- and I have no idea why. I just smile, thank the compliment-er, and sometimes play it off with a pun of my last name depending on what it was they were complimenting.

Of course, there are so many different kinds of compliments. I tend to receive physically-based compliments (the non-pervy kind) better from strangers or people I don't know that well, while I take personality-based compliments better from those people that do know me well. And, on the whole, I would much rather be complimented on the work I've done than anything else. (Teachers' pet, much?)

In any case, I used to be extremely scared that people were actually being sarcastic, to the point where I would actually get upset if people paid me compliments, no matter how genuine they actually were. That slowly changed once I decided to take control of my confidence.

As far as giving compliments goes, I'm a bit... lacking. I think nice stuff about people all the time, but I hardly ever say it out loud. If I do say it out loud, I hardly ever actually say it to the person who I'm actually giving it to. I'll mostly just turn to my friends and say something like "Hey, see that person over there? I really, really like their outfit." Then again, clothes are something that I feel more comfortable complimenting people on directly. But anything else beyond "You're so kind!" is a no-go as far as my tongue is concerned.

I feel like I could probably write an entire memoir on my experience with compliments. Maybe that's what my autobiography will be.

2. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I think it depends on who's giving me the compliment.

If its from someone who's just friend-zoned in my mind, I can handle it okay.

But if comes from a person I'm developing some interest for, I go a little red and try my best to change the topic of conversation or look away and stuff

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's always a pleasant surprise, which makes me take a moment to really observe the complimenter. I admit, sometimes I look for ulterior motives (i.e. someone wanting my help on something), but that's not always the case.

4. I love compliments!!! Well, only when I think the person is sincere - But yes, I really love them! I'd always say thank you and give compliments back to that person as well! I'm shy, but if you give a compliment, I won't hesitate on telling you how much I appreciate it (in my squeaky, soft shy voice lol^^)

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It always surprises me when someone compliments me. It's very flattering.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kaiser, I feel this question is somewhat pointed in my direction *smile*...you've commented on this before with respect to me.

I have a very complicated relationship with compliments. First, I question everything in life...everything. I also despise manipulation. So something as potentially manipulating as a compliment I certainly question, especially when I don't see myself as due...or don't see the complimenter as having grounds (even if I am due).

And then there's my ego. It seems to be simultaneously huge and tiny. I know I'm smart, capable, etc. I know some are amused by my sense of humor (or at least sense of the bizarre). I know I have skills worth appreciating. But I'm in such danger of letting these things go to my head that I basically find myself reflexively questioning or outright shutting out compliments.

From late childhood to young teen-hood (maybe ages 9-15) I know I felt very disliked by schoolmates (I'm not certain this was true...just that I felt it). I did get a lot of teasing over my vocabulary, and the fact that I enjoyed reading. I was often told that I thought I was better than everyone else...which was so far from the truth: I assumed most people were as intelligent or more so than I was, and I saw everyone else as so much more socially facile and physically competent than I was.

I've grown and changed a *lot* since then...in many phases. Some of those phases were entirely positive...those helped inflate my ego; some were negative...those deflated it. I'm left desperately trying *not* to have an opinion of myself, positive or negative. It's not easy...I seem to be the kind of person about whom people (myself included) have an opinion. And compliments don't help me maintain that neutrality. Same with insults and slights...you may notice that I don't accept those (except when appropriate or due to me) any more gracefully than I do compliments.

So it's not that they don't feel wonderful. They do. It's just...complicated.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the nature of the compliment and the context. Potential reactions:

1. Be thankful and show that I was flattered by it

2. Laugh

3. Become embarrassed

4. Minimize it, if I didn't think it was a big deal or to take attention off of something

5. Be thankful, albeit in a serious and cautionary tone (that is, if there is something deceptive or an ulterior motive I detect).

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They make me cringe, every time.

So I imagine I handle them poorly.

9. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I smile a little... close my eyes, and shake it off. It hurts quite a bit when people compliment me. It usually was not the case, back sometime ago it would get my hopes a little high for the day... but at the end of the day it's still the same. And things have gotten worse. Now compliments are just a reminder of how incapable I am. It reminds me that no matter what I do or how hard I try, my failure as a human being is well... innate. I don't receive compliments well... but it's not too bad... I don't receive them often anyway nowadays.

10. Thomas12

Thomas12 Guest

I always get embarrassed when someone compliments me. ._.

11. Silas

I don't really get many compliments to begin with :lol: But if I ever do my initial reaction is that they're being sarcastic or someone put them up to it and then I try to change the subject.

12. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love compliments :slight_smile:

13. Rainbows~Exist

I'm always surprised when someone compliments me so my usual response is something like "Uhhh guhhh duhhh ummm thanks...?" Or I'll reply with a really lame compliment like "Thank you. Nice um socks by the way..."

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Kageshiro and biAnnika, surprisingly, no. With you kageshiro, this was just something I meditated on. And, you, biAnnika, I suppose it could be pointed at you, since you and I have had that conversation, but, this thread, wasn't made with you directly in mind.

I tend to take compliments pretty well. As odd as it seems, I actually need compliments, in the way a drug addict needs their fix. Now, this doesn't mean I'll go rob somebody for a kind word, or break your piggy bank for confirmation; but if I go for long enough, without acknowledgement or praise, then I become slightly agitated. My ego tends to take these encouraging droughts, and tell me that no one is appreciating what I have done, am doing, or could do.

And this, potentially causes problems, because I become more susceptible to former tendencies.

I suppose, to some, this would make me a megalomaniac. I won't deny the possibility, but unlike most, I have a better handle on it. Trying to ignore that, well, take somebody with a severe illness off their medication -- you get the idea. Good things, probably won't happen.

Now, that said. I'm not incredibly gullible. Anything said to me, is placed under a microscope, and studied. I used to sweet talk people, for a variety of reasons, and I know how devastating that can be. Getting led somewhere, thinking you have a good friend and place of support, only to have the rug pulled out from under you -- that, never ends well. I saw it in the tears of others, the disappointment and hurt on their faces, and the gradual decay of, what little confidence they had. I don't like being tricked, or my time wasted -- and I sure as hell, don't like being thought of as stupid, or incapable. Old or new me, time is precious, and wasting it, is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth. But you think, or treat me as an idiot... I won't be tickled. At all.

I can tell if a compliment is genuine, just being said to settle tension, or has a catch to it. I used to be the Countess of Coaxing, I know how that game is played -- I know how to win it. I've just stopped doing that, and starting making beneficially necessary changes, over the past few years. However, old habits die hard, and I cannot help but analyze and scan over, anything anybody says to me, especially if it pertains to my potential, prowess, or possessions.

To sum it up. I used to butter people up, for many reasons. I have an ego, so I love to be complimented. But at the same time, having been that manipulative bitch, I a wary of the same thing, possibly, happening to me. So, at times, I can take a little while to accept a kind word, but usually I do.

#34 Kaiser, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't need them and don't like them, specially when coming from strangers.
    I don't think you can trust a compliment, you can only trust a "thank you".

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ok dear...I didn't think you made it with me solely in mind...my ego isn't *that* huge :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I was just acknowledging our previous conversation.

#36 biAnnika, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  17. Ben

Ben

How to take a compliment

"You look nice"

Option A - the awkward rebuttal:
    "No I don't"

Option B - the self-depricating acceptance through gritted teeth:
    "Eh, thanks, but my skin is awful today"

Option C - the appropriate response:
    "Aw thank you"

Option D - the appropriate response with thoughtful reflection:
    "Aw thanks, so do you"

Option E - the ego injection:
    "Aw thanks, you're looking great in your little floral number"

Option F - the I don't know who you are/haven't seen you in years:
    "Aw thanks! Did you get a haircut?"

Option G - the bringing out the sass:
    "And to think I just roll out of bed like this every morning"

I think the trick to taking a compliment well is to think about what the other person really wants to hear as a response, and not your own personal take on matters.

18. Alyssa92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love compliments but i always get awkward ... and i really really don't know why !
    I also get the need to compliment them about something, so i just kinda stare at them and find something to say:eusa_doh:.

I don't know it just gets weird .....:icon_sad:

19. One Man Army

I usually accept a compliment and say 'thanks' but that doesn't mean I'll believe it. You see, I have self-esteem issues so I find it extremely difficult to see positives in most situations. Good situations seem neutral to me, and neutral situations seem negative.

So because of this, a compliment will make me smile on the outside but it's fake. And I know that's wrong, because I do believe that most compliments I get are sincere and true. But I still won't accept them internally.

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hence some of my distaste re: manipulation. If they are complimenting me in order to elicit a response, then personally I wish they'd just be direct and come out and say what's on their damned mind, and stop playing stupid little ego-stroking games.

Every time I hear "hey, I give a compliment every chance I get...it doesn't cost me anything, and you never know what you'll get back", I just want to throw up. Ego games for personal gain. Does not impress me.