1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friendships being marriages?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mkchoco, Oct 31, 2014.

1. mkchoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Within the past year I've become really close with one of my straight friends and now we consider eachother to be best friends. Recently I've noticed that we might be best friends but we also act like a married couple. Or at least I feel this way. This makes me nervous because I don't know if I feel like a married couple because I actually have romantic feelings for her (which im trying to push away-I've fallen for enough straight girls) or just because we are best friends. i don't really know what to do so I figured I'd write about it here. I do a lot of things for her and sometimes I think she doesn't put out as much to our friendship than I do but she goes and calls me because i was almost late to school (and proceeded to yell at me when I got there because I didn't pick up my phone and she was worried) or other sweet things which are probably just friend things. Right? Who knows.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even within a platonic friendship there are real and genuine feelings of love - it's just a different kind of love. Most of the time it's not a problem, but there are occasions when the lines become blurred and one party develops stronger feelings for the other - feelings that are not reciprocal.

If you take a step back is it really the case that she is putting in less? Could it be that she is actually doing what a friend should do, but you are making the greater effort because your feelings have grown beyond those of friendship? I'd say the kind things she does and the concern she shows are part and parcel of a normal, healthy friendship, rather than signs of a deeper connection.

Please tread carefully and take care of your feelings. Unless your friend gives you clearer signs that she is interested in more you could find yourself getting hurt again.

3. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is completely normal. I have this friend (we're both bisexual btw) and we've been best friends for 18 years. We're so confortable around each other it's like we're an old married couple. We consider each other's families as our own, we cuddle, she doesn't bother to hide her panties when I go in her room (hell, I just push them aside so there's room for me in the bed) and we have stupid fights like "WHEN YOU GO TO A LADY'S HOUSE, PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN" she hates pretty much any woman I go out with and I know waaay too much about her periods and when she has them. In our case though, no one ever had romantic feelings for the other, and there's no sexual tension between us, not to mention we have different genders. I suppose this either means maybe she has feelings for you too or she's just that confortable around you. 99% chance it's the second option though =\

4. mkchoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok thank you guys. Yesterday we actually our homecoming dance and I had that "oh shit" moment when I saw her so I'm going to say yes, I do have feelings for her which she does not reciprocate. Again, thanks so much! :slight_smile: