General News Pope Francis Accepts Big Bang Theory and Evolution

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MintberryCrunch, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I got a bang out of this.

Ha...

Okay, I'll stop now.

2. DoriaN

Not really. Not to sound rude at all, that is not how I mean that.

It's just, I'm not pro-catholic to begin with, and sharing very personal views publically will either make someone upset, or make me upset. So it's best to keep things simple.

The long and short of it, is I'm disappointed but not very surprised, and I only see more concessions or issues in the future. This pope is just another in the dynasty of substitute-Christs to me, I take everything said with a grain of salt.

3. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fair enough. Though I'm glad Catholicism seems to be one of the few denominations of Christianity that doesn't believe these scientific theories are incompatible with the idea of a creator.

Some would argue that being an LGBT Christian is ignoring the Bible, so...you know...

4. DoriaN

I suppose. I mean, I myself was not a serious Christian until October 14th 2013, but after a lot of research and the like, I fully believe transgenderism is compatable with the Bible. Past that, I do not see being LGBT inherently sinful, and believe that a lot of the mainstream church has missed out on a lot of love by excluding them.

I don't like organized or robotic religions or practices personally, so I have some very strong views. A lot of believers and non-believers alike seem to dismiss that the Bible often supports science and science supports the Bible. I wish many would take the time to research what they believe and why, rather than being blissfully ignorant.

Above that though, all should show more love. I would rather hurt myself and err in love, than hurt another and be correct or self justified.

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said. Love really is what it's all about anyway.

Anyway, not to derail my own thread, but I was just curious :slight_smile:

6. wolfheartmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've ALWAYS believed that a higher power CAUSED those events and "nudged" Earth in the direction it wanted it to go and then for the most part, lets us live our lives, but will help us when needed, showing up in various forms.
    Jesus, Bast, Cernunnos, Pan, Selene, etc.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, this is pretty old news for those who have been in the Catholic Church. Actually, it was ironic that my public school in Oklahoma sometimes had more problems with evolution than the private (including many Catholic) schools.

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Pope Francis is rapidly accruing respect points in my book. If he starts saying gay marriage is fine, I'll gladly come back to the Catholic Church.

9. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to a Catholic all-boys high school and I'm happy to report I never had an ounce of craziness pushed in my direction. Not only did the school offer a World Religions class where we could learn about Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism, but there's even a gay-straight alliance which I wouldn't typically expect from such an institution. I guess it helps that it's in Massachusetts though.

Perhaps more importantly, the only teachings that really stuck with me are that God is about love. I find the notion that God could hate you because of who you love to be completely incompatible with everything I learned.

So with that in mind, kudos to Pope Francis. I know I'll probably never be able to agree with the Catholic Church on a lot of issues, but this guy at least falls in line with what I consider the true message of the Bible (love for your fellow human beings) and for that I have a lot of respect for him.

10. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is a revolutionary step of the church. Some of the christain Ideals have been outdone by time and change is desperetley needed. I generely am a fan of the pope as he has presented several gesters that indicate and represent new decsions in name of the church. I hope this is another step towards the religious exeptance of homosexuals.

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's up for discussion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

--

Good to see they are accepting it. :icon_bigg I think they can no longer deny it unless they want to lose more followers.

Hope to see more of these things. Steps in the right direction! :icon_bigg

12. Hexagon

Well, the vatican is certainly speeding up a little. Heliocentrism took them 400 years or so.

13. Chocolateaddict

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I admit I really don't get it.how can the pope changes what the church's point of view of something is? I mean it's not like God came down here and said Oh you know I changed my mind I think it's okay say it to the oothers! no...I think if the church is saying that it's only to attract new people and stop loosing all it's followers because of its conversatism...other is you guys say that god says he loves us and stuff and I believe that but How can the church accept homosexuality when it's written that no man shall lie with another and other stuff, it's not like if we sin he hates us because he forgives, but still it's sining....

After I'm saying that to understand, and maybe accept, i can say that because there is a gap in me between the conservatist catholic and the lesbian;

14. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I hate it when people quote partial scripture( especially part of the same chapter of the same book in the O T) . Read the " church fathers " about "people " changing the bible as it was written. And then maybe just read anyway , anything .

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but interpretations do change. People once interpreted the Bible to say that the sun revolves around the earth. Now that we've proven that it doesn't, the Bible had to be reinterpreted. This is slightly different because it's more theoretical, but I don't think anyone is refuting what the Bible is saying, just interpreting it differently.