1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 'Drag Race' Girls Star In First Starbucks LGBT Commercial

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Oct 31, 2014.

1. RainDreamer

'Drag Race' Girls Star In First Starbucks LGBT Commercial

Follow the link to see the commercial video hosted on Huff Post. Can't find one on youtube.

I am liking Starbucks more and more. Although I don't like coffee that much.
    Also, for those who didn't know, Starbuck's CEO once tell an anti-LGBT shareholder - a big one - this: “If you feel, respectfully, that you can get a higher return than the 38 percent you got last year, it’s a free country. You can sell your shares of Starbucks and buy shares in another company. Thank you very much."

2. Aldrick

[YOUTUBE]YkyTQP27H6s[/YOUTUBE]

3. RainDreamer

Oh thanks for the vid!

4. 741852963

Hmmm, pretty lacking in humour for a major ad, although I don't really get drag queens so maybe I'm missing something subtle.

The blonde one however actually looks better put together than most of the girls in my town! That made me chuckle! :lol:

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mmm, I'm not sure if this is specifically directed towards LGBT people. Drag queens aren't necessarily transgendered, and since these were drag queens, I kinda see it as just jokingly having men dress up as women. I don't think of it as bad, I just don't think of it as an LGBT commercial.

6. 741852963

I think its because the stars of the commerical are part of a gay TV channel which is also being promoted, or could be gay themselves (although you do get straight drag queens)? I'm not sure.

I can sort of see what you mean about it not really being an "LGBT commercial" as such - does it represent or show gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, transgender folks etc? Does it feature a same sex couple? Not really. A "drag themed commercial" would be a more apt description perhaps. On them perhaps being gay men, I think that when they are dolled up drag queens essentially take on a parodistic role of straight women so it kind of moves away from being a "gay commercial" in my eyes (as I just see them as caricatures of straight women).

7. birdking

I enjoyed the commercial, but that's probably because I enjoy RuPaul's Drag Race.

Also, even if drag queens don't necessarily have their own letter in our acronym, they are still playing with gender expression. That doesn't make them transgender at all, but I think that drag queens as a whole could be considered LGBT themed performers.